Air / dry curing for Rosin for budder like texure

Please do, Looks like you have a great cure system! I agree this was my way out of buying anything from a store even though it legal, much rather know whats gone into it. I would highly suggest that you get a press with a gauge, it is a must!!! Knowing what you are pressing at during pre-press, warming and squish is all crucial.

Best of luck, looking forward to hearing how you go!

1 Like

Pretty much exactly the same as mine. I got the northern tool press and some eBay plates. It’s good to have a pressure gauge.

I’ve been using it for a couple years, and can’t really think of anything I’d change about the setup.

3 Likes

Maybe try your own thread mate? Thanks for showing your setups but I;m looking for info on curing times for ROSIN and how it can effect the final product.

@TerpSneeze Thanks I am aware of the rosin process, there are many threads out there on it. As stated before I’m looking for info on the curing process and it’s affects on texture specifically. Your info on curing is the same as whats out there.

But to add I have since starting this thread found info about how a faster cure over 3 to 4 days with low RH of 50% to 40% will make for a waxy / budder like consistency but it’s as always strain dependent and requires low / slow squeezes.

No worries @NoobyMacDooby I did speak to this in a following post on how to make any rosin more “buddery” and unfortunately there are a ton of variables that make rosin take different forms before homogenization. Here is the raw rosin from my profile pic, I can have that turn into “budder” in less than thirty seconds. Its now your information to ignore, have a good one mate

1 Like

Yeah thanks for that but again, info I am aware of, why would I ask about curing if I wanted to know about temps, pressure etc?.Plus you are giving the same info that is readily available. For future questions I’l be sure to state my intent more clearly. Here’s my current rosin:

(runny bit on top is a 2nd pull at higher temps)

3 Likes

Sorry OP didn’t mean to hijack the thread.

No worries, guilty of that myself sometimes. I’m just looking for specific info. And all the info you need is on google and this forum. Be sure to read up on multiple places though. Lots of “experts” who are really just people like us who squeeze at home out there.

1 Like

@anon98152597

I definitely didn’t mean to hijack your thread by any means either friend, I will start a journal to share the extraction findings from over the many years of researching and developing my extraction processes. I was just hoping to contribute back to the forum where I can, while I setup my new grow and before I too ask the community for insight. My apologies.

Looking at your new pics of your rosin and it looks great, not sure why you would want your own flower rosin to be anything else! Nice work :+1:

I think I misunderstood your question anyways and now rereading your posts I think I better understand that you are looking to make things more buttery? Whereas I was confused thinking you want a “budder” texture which is just slang for whipped concentrate with air trapped in it, in this part of the world. I assume you were more asking about swing your rosin this way :point_down:

Here is our hash rosin holding a stiff rose shape at room temp

Hash & Percy Rosin are 2 different inputs for your typical rosin process that result in white and buttery rosin but they all have a lot to do with process and the color of the input’s trichomes more so than RH from our own research and testing.

When we wanted to make the leap into light-colored and smooth yet stiff, butter-like textured rosins many moons ago the solution that came after much testing was using clear melt bubble hash. We first made it from spent material from the rosin process itself. That spent material has never been stored below 70% RH as we store our spent material in airtight storage bagged with 80% Bovidas until made into hash. For further flavor and if the goal from the onset is hash rosin we will invert the process - make bubble hash from the fresh flower, then press it. Our resulting bubble hash, either way it is processed does have a very low RH, which could mean that you could very well be on to something interesting albeit a less traditional approach… This is what caught my eye about your thread.

Percy Flower Rosin flowing from our press

We also found that we were able to make lighter/clearer traditional rosin by processing our slightly immature or what some call Percy buds (still at well above 70%RH) separately, this provides a unique profile and a stiffer yet silky texture but not nearly as opaque as our hash rosin.

I guess what I was trying to convey is that I typically would not choose to press rosin from something below 70% RH for yield and profile reasons; much has been lost already in terms of expressed terps and other volatile oils IMO … Rosin can be produced at 70-80 RH or higher for LIVE fresh from frozen rosin so we find no need to dry materials destined for the press to get a stem-snap cure as we feel we lose out on flavor, color, and texture with anything below 64% in our setup. With our process, we recover hash as a byproduct of extraction and then run it through the press again at low temps and smaller mesh for our light butter-like hash rosins. So I guess that’s where my own testing has taken me, not to say that other things have worked for other folks or that it is not worth finding out first hand what works best for you and your setup!

Close up of wicking on freshly milked 14g Flower bags destined to become hash rosin

Comparing the aggressiveness (Steep curves in Time vs RH) of the cure is not a metric that I have ever or currently track whereas time since cut, RH and confirmation analysis of trichomes under a loup/microscope has proven to provide us with our best results time and time again.

Best of luck with your experiment NoobyMacDooby, Happy Squishing!!! I am just as curious as you are so I will be following along - happy share what I have found useful for me else where as well as chime in here if/when requested. Sorry for the delay and my misunderstanding of the ask, I did feel as though the information may be useful on your quest and spoke to how RH impacts my process moreso than temps and pressures - which I did not speak too in my responses to your post. I am new here but certainly not to this topic or process. I can only post 10 times a day plus busy with extracting and building out the new space. Otherwise really enjoying your thread and the community so far, Thanks again!

3 Likes

Very informative response @TerpSneeze welcome to Overgrow excited to watch your hash work

2 Likes