Alcohol Extraction Help

Im about to harvest and dry some plants shortly that will have some mold/rot I’m guessing and I’d like to do an alcohol extraction or something. I’m just curious if QWISO is the best way to or what other options are out there and if anyone has any tips or links to share? Even if they didn’t have mold/rot I’d like to give it a try and see what it’s like. Thanks for any help!

4 Likes

Seems there’s more than one method… icon_e_confused|nullxnull

3 Likes

If you do a dry ice extraction first that will remove most of the mold and plant material from the equation.

@JoeCrowe may be able to tell you the best way to filter the mold after you add the ethanol but it may be a trade secret too so that should be considered, I think he does that sort thing for a job.

I am not a fan of isopropyl extractions but I have not seen anything to say you should not use it.

Good luck on the adventure.
shag

3 Likes

Ohhhh damn, I do dry ice hash most of the time. So if I just dry ice hash it all, I’ll be good to go? I think I’ll try the QWET stuff at some point with some of this harvest, but I’m a little unsure on the final evaporation part. Not sure if I need some special equipment or something. Thanks for the info!

1 Like

I’m planning on getting some high proof everclear and making some FECO. Idk if that process interests you at all.

2 Likes

I’ll look it up. Haha

Edit: Ahhh, I see what it is. May as well make some of that or RSO to take at night and checkout. Eventually I’ll probably need to stop smoking/vaping stuff, but it’s what I prefer. If I can just dry ice hash all of it, I’m stoked. Then, I’ll do some RSO or FECO. Maybe some QWET if I don’t need any crazy equipment.

If it’s just botrytis, it should be safe to make edibles. When I processed the buds into hash and then rosin it worked out, as well. Botrytis doesn’t produce aflatoxins.

5 Likes

Thanks! How about dry ice hashing it?

1 Like

To your original question, if you haven’t seen it yet, this is kind of the ultimate resource here at OG:

4 Likes

Thanks! I read through that, but was trying to avoid tinctures. Just hate them under my tongue. Haha

3 Likes

Dry ice should do it, but I like the water for polar substances. As in there shouldn’t be any left after I rinse the hell out of it.

3 Likes

Ahhhh, I gotcha. Makes sense. Thanks for the info! It’s greatly appreciated. I’m a bit of a health freak, so I want to be as safe as possible with it. Being able to dry ice hash it makes it super simple. But, would freezing it fresh and making bubble be smart to minimize mold formation during the dry?

1 Like

Freezing fresh and making bubble is definitely what you want to do. Preserves the terpenes!

2 Likes

Absolutely the best stuff, but such a pain to clean-up and pull off here in FL. Maybe just need to freeze it and wait for one of our coldest nights of the year when it gets all the way down into the 40s. Haha Still need to buy a press since I can’t just use others here as well.

1 Like

Just my two cents, but I think you have a chance of spores ending up in your end hash product, whether you go with water or dry ice extraction. I think the dry ice may kill some of the spores, but I don’t think every spore is going to come into contact with the dry ice for enough time to make it safe.

Even if you are rinsing thoroughly with water extraction, I think there’s a good chance you could end up with spores. The drying process of water hash will also aid in germinating any spores that make it through. I wouldn’t do it.

2 Likes

I agree with @bluelizard wholeheartedly

2 Likes

Good call @bluelizard
I also agree, it would seem @JoeCrowe feels the same.
His remedy was…

I think @PatHealy knows too.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m using Everclear on any that have mold. I’m interested to check it out too. Cutting the holes for my exhaust before next flower run and figuring out how to get some fans in the tent without losing canopy space. I’m guessing underneath the canopy and then on top of the lights. I’ll put the drivers outside on top of the tent actually and then a decent sized fan up top to keep everything moving. I definitely appreciate all of the help and info!

Edit: Also, going to research presses some more and eventually grab one.

1 Like

I still wouldn’t trust the press to kill all spores. I press between 150-170 F for 3-7 minutes, which I don’t trust to kill spores.

2 Likes