An envelope method of sending cuts(unrooted), potentially across the border

No reason a thin strip of rubber/silicone wouldn’t work. Just a longer non-circular version of a coin flip.

It’ll turn up, we’ve got more than one mind on this now… cloud computing! Can’t wait to see this evolve :100:

6 Likes

Could use rubber weather stripping with thin cardboard backing. Just replace the chop sticks with the weather stripping. Weight may become a concern. Or printing flexible chop sticks out of apu or something.

6 Likes

My thoughts as well.

I’m liking this direction. I was totally thinking about rubber, but it’s definitely dense comparably. My next idea was some of that roll of bead foam. If I can find some I’ll take a photo. But seems like it might be worth a shot. Too bad I don’t work at the old woodshop still, tons of stuff I could utilize there.

This is the next place my mind went. Still no printer though. At least the chopsticks could be reused. I’m thinking this might be the way, if it can work

6 Likes

If there’s anything around the shop I could use for ya I’m more than happy cto give it a go… Typical wood type stuff here. Super light wood maybe?
I dropped some cottonwood last fall I wonder if they could be ripped to small dimensions…

2 Likes

images(2)

With our powers combined, we can overgrow the world!

:seedling: :seedling:

9 Likes

Mmmm balsa :joy:

I used to make tons of doors and windows and we had all sorts of crazy different gasket/weather stripping materials. I’m trying this out.

Feels like it will pass a bend test, although I don’t know why mail should be bent. Don’t bend any of my mail please. :joy:

First attempt of this is headed to @CADMAN . Sorry I’m so behind. I’m trying to get em out before it warms up again.

13 Likes

Okay @Rhino_buddy, I was at the post office and asked the Postmaster about the rules for rigid letters. She pulled up a chart they use, it showed that ANY letter that is rigid but still uniform and under 1/4 inch only needs a stamp and a non machinable stamp (over 1oz gets an extra oz stamp that costs .24). So 2 stamps should cover every one you send out. Any rigid flat (large envelope) is classified as a package, but it does not apply to rigid standard sized envelopes. The Postmaster said almost all offices use the same chart as well for reference. Hope this helps, I think it is basically what you thought from the beginning. I did not ask about international though

7 Likes

So really this is what I need to focus on. The non machinable part. The rest is good. Thanks for your inquiry @Natea :metal:t3:🫶🏼

6 Likes

Yep, no problem man!

4 Likes

@Natea Do they sell these non machineable stamps at the post office? What’s the cost for one?

3 Likes

You can get them at the post office. Your postman may carry some with them too.

I’d have to look up the cost. I can do that later. :joy:

5 Likes

I wonder if something like foam backer rod would work (for filling gaps before caulking, to save caulk) if you could find them in the right size. I quickly searched for 4mm and 5mm (thought that would be a good size between 1/8” and 1/4”) but only saw it on ali-express.

https://www.wrmeadows.com/backer-rods/

Edit - I should have finished reading all the posts in this thread before posting… lol. Sounds like the chopsticks are ok, it just has to be non-machinable.

5 Likes

My office doesn’t carry any, but 2 regular stamps should cover the letter, an extra ounce and the non machinable charge. Non machinable charge is $.40 I think and an extra ounce is $.24 I think

4 Likes

:partying_face: :call_me_hand:t2: Thank you so much !! :pray:t2: @Bobgrows
Cuts arrived safely :crossed_fingers:t2:

12 Likes

Yay!!
They look pretty good still, too!

3 Likes

@Rhino_buddy the GMO shot a lil’ rootlet outa the bottom of the solo cup this am! It really does wanna live!

9 Likes

Badass @Pigeonman! I’m liking how this has been working out.

Hope that new envelope shows quickly. :sunglasses:

5 Likes

The wife picked up this for me to try as a flexible way to send some cuts. It’s just under ¼ inch, so should work great. I’ve got some more cuts ready. Let’s see how this works out. Rollers, here we come! :metal:t3:

20 Likes

There we go! Good call wifey!

3 Likes

Sadly "Tampa Crippy " didn’t make it…:cry:
@Rhino_buddy

1 Like