And off we go after a 16 year hiatus

As some of you may or may not know, I joined OG a few months ago after becoming tired of seeing my father in pain after my family broke him of his opiod addiction. All grows (after this initial test run to get everything dialed in) will be meant for him (to be turned into edibles) with some of it also going to the Mrs. for her fibromyalgia (as well as other pains) as smokeable. Fuck you big pharma. I cannot use MJ. I get hair tested monthly at work by my company and piss tested randomly at job sites by the customers (all part of the game I guess).

I have started off with 10x el cheapo mandala seeds that I received in my last overseas purchase (and also last non-OG member purchase or member recommended state-side seller.) I followed mandala’s instructions for 5 seeds (straight into grow medium (grodan block soaked in 5.8ph water, shaken out slightly) and am doing 5 seeds separately via the soak in water > paper towel/ziplock bag method which will also go into the 5.8ph water soaked, shaken out slightly grodan blocks.

Grow will be in a 2x4 gorilla grow tent (w 1’ extension kit) via a home made flood and drain table on recirc (not waste to drain) with a 20 gallon reservoir. As stated above medium is grodan blocks with hydroton pebbles. Only thing not currently hooked up physically is my HID light and the water pumps (will hand feed as needed until they get moved into their first and final pot.) Everything is ready to grow sans a true exhaust fan and charcoal filter (will order that today I hope). Eventually an LED strip bank will replace the 400W HID MH/HPS combo with ballast installed in fixture unit i have from yesteryears (nice light output but puts out so much heat…also no way to connect in a charcoal filter for smell killing. I also hope to soon get a true flood table instead of the makeshift one I am currently using (plastering mud mixing bin; it is curved and not truly rectangular). That is 90$ i’d rather spend on lighting TBH.

Ultimate plans are for a non mixed/true strain harlequin seed run for me to be able to give back to everyone here on the forums. If that goes as planned and everyone has received something, I will start on my goal of bonsai’ing a harlequin mother for cuttings and doing 25-30 plant SOG with lollipop colas.

Would like to thanks everyone on OG that has supported me so far (I apologize if your name isn’t listed as there are more people but i am restricted to 10 :frowning: ): @Papalag @AllOra @Sebring @anon58740919 @MomOnTheRun @misterbee @HaRdRoC @Grohio @Howard.Crane and @WMoon518 (Wmoon518 provided the info on the buy 2 packs get 2 free packs of the harlequins)

I think I have fairly thick skin from being prior military, so lay it on me. If you see something I am doing wrong or suggest I make changes, say it. Please don’t hold your tongue. I would rather learn how to grow again on these inexpensive plants than on expensive seeds.

Pictures to come shortly. Please disregard the way the fluorescent are currently sitting as I need to get to lowes today for some S-hooks for them to hang them properly. Also, the el’ cheapo humidity dome/container the 5 grodan blocks are currently in. I chose that one for initial start due to air leaks/air flow from fans inside tent. I have a nicer, hard plastic one, but I am refraining from using that one out for other plants if at all possible. Also, if/when I get the real flood table to replace the black makeshift one; I will either 1: cut the legs of the storage rack flat with the rack shelf that the flood table will sit on (table will be larger than the current black bin, won’t fit inside legs) or 2: make a small wooden or maybe aluminum angle stand for the new flood table to sit on.

Enough with the words and reading. Pull up a chair and enjoy yourself.

Thanks again everyone,
-ReactorPWR

28 Likes

I’m in a similar boat as you, coming back to growing after almost 15 years off. I’ll pull up a seat and follow along w this one. Good luck & any pics?

6 Likes

Great start I used 400 hps and mh awesome light the ballast can get ready hot the olds from China I would aim a small fan on it to cool it down
Leds are awesome very little heat

Post pics bro
chair pulled up joint rolled popcorn in hand let the show begin
Paps

3 Likes

Growing for a noble cause. Great plan and good luck.

3 Likes

Awesome, glad your ol’ man kicked the garbage and hope the MJ helps him.
Best of luck to your grows and will try and help any way I can.

4 Likes

18 Likes

I love Mandala seeds. My first “not from bag seed” grow was Mandala Sadhu, and I ended up with a couple of really great phenos that I was well pleased with.

:popcorn:

4 Likes

Your setup is looking good so far …
Nice to see a diy flood tray.
:nerd: :thinking:

4 Likes

My first two and only two runs back in the day were speedqueens. I loved them. Unsure if the breeders of these Mandala seeds are worth a damn (unable to buy directly from them anymore).

2 Likes

Thanks, it will only pose a problem when I go to do a SOG. Until then, it will do its job nicely as long as my beans hatch.

3 Likes

Nice little setup. Definitely get that carbon scrubber sooner than later, even veg plants can smell IME. Otherwise very noble of you to grow for others. Hopefully growing the plant brings you as much joy as consuming it does. :+1::seedling:

7 Likes

Oder control is really important Amazon has ONA gel
It helps with that veg smell and some light flowering
Even if you set the carbon filter out side the tent and vent into the room will work but get a quite fan
I have an ozone gen ( never used ozone) that has a small carbon filter Combe which Ive used as back up for those really stinky strains but I don’t recommend using the ozone around the family

Great looking set up bro best of luck
Peace

1 Like

My intentions are 6” ac infinity charcoal filter and s6 fan

Reviews seem decent amongst their website and amazon. Anyone ever heard of them?

Planned on 6” to create negative pressure, have it piped into attic.

4 Likes

That’s my next fan I find it a fair price and a good quality a friend on another site uses them as well

They work great, have 1 6" and 3 4".
Love the led display for the 6

I’m running two of those right now. Best fan I’ve had so far. I think you’ll like it.

It’s overpowered for my tent, so I have it turned down with the speed control on my model, which works great for me.

6 Likes

and the fan/filter are ordered…

2 Likes

Damn what industry you in? I thought my job tested a lot. No hair just random every other week

2 Likes

let’s just say…security

4 Likes

Be careful handling buds when you are at flowering stage. I am subject to urine tests all the time as well. After trimming a few hours without gloves like an idiot I failed an at home piss test. Just take that into account as hair tests are amongst the most difficult to pass after exposure. Good luck!

6 Likes