Any bakers here?

I’d eat a square cheesecake! :yum:

2 Likes

I like to make a few versatile things. I made a turkey pot pie without the pot. I think technically it’s a galette but I’m not sure.

No rules! Savory pie crust!

Oh and a custard pie with the same crust :slight_smile:

Mrs Foreigner makes a dessert that’s half pie and half cake with pears. I have no idea what it’s called but it’s one of my favourite.

If you can make choux pastry and crème patisserie you are gold!

All the best

8 Likes

We found GBBS ourselves a few months back now. We really enjoyed watching it.
I was really into the breads, myself. The savory breads, more than anything else.
So my wife ordered a bread book, by Paul Hollywood, and I made a soda bread first. Then a few savory soda breads.
Then a Farl that we love!! I then started grinding up rye berries into flour, and adding some rye flour, and removing the same of the strong flour. Then made a savory Farl, to take to NYE party. It did not see 2021.
I just finished a Pineapple Upside down cake, fresh pineapple (well as fresh as you can get in the Appalachia’s), and a scratch batter.
Before I flipped it.

After the flip.

I struggle with baking myself. But I do find some zen time kneading dough, no machines for me.

8 Likes

It depends what you’re making. We make a lot of pizza dough and it’s kneaded for 6 mins at high speed in the stand mixer. No way I’d want to do that by hand. I’d be very tired.

That upside down cake looks awesome

3 Likes

I like baking and cooking.

For me there is nothing like a lemon tart when it’s still slightly warm…

Bread also.

10 Likes

I made my first attempt at baking without adhering to a recipe. I made a 7Up Bundt cake with a lemon-lime cheesecake swirl throughout topped with a lemon-lime zest/juice glaze. I made a small cheesecake with the leftover filling which was so/so.

The cake itself turned out beautifully. The cake texture was perfect, and the cheesecake made it impossibly moist. The outer edges of the cake were a bit too caramelized (burned?) for my taste, but I was very generous with a granulated sugar coating on the pan. Also, it is a cheaper Bundt pan that is quite thin. I think that contributes to it. The color is gorgeous, and you can really feel the hard coating. The taste is wonderful, though it is far more restrained and refined than I was hoping for. When I had 7Up cake before, it was garishly sweet and bright. I skipped essence and extract and went with fresh fruit and 7Up. It tastes like a very delicate lemon cake. The lime is a bit lost, to be honest. In terms of flavor, it feels more at home at tea at an upscale hotel than a summer BBQ, which is kind of what I was going for.

Overall a really resounding success and the first time I have ever used a Bundt pan! My next creation will be a Carribean Rum Cake, with extra extra rum!

11 Likes

It looks delicious.

I have a soda stream so I’ve got a large supply of soda syrups. The lemon lime could boost the flavour without messing with the wet/dry ratio.

I also like the root beer syrup for pulled pork sauce.

All the best.

1 Like

Sourdough bread. The loaf has a really complex smell and the starter/leaven has a fermented bear/ yogurt smell. All natural years, no added bakers yeast or chemical ferments.

7 Likes

Thats a great way to explain it. You can learn so much just by watching other people.

Dont feel like theres anything wrong with that. Complex things are fun to make and enjoy but, the simple ones always take you home. Make sure to post a pic. (Sorry didnt see the pic.) Its beautiful!

I have plans to make a lemon gingerbread cheesecake soon.

I really love it. I made sure to get one that the basket was dishwasher safe. My wife convinced me to get it so I can cook chicken and other random things. Havent cooked chicken yet but ive mastered a quesadilla.

Ive never thought about it but it seems like it would be fun. Would love to help them. My wife and I have a plan to buy some land and get out of the suburbs. Unfortunately im from the country and want to go back lol.

Cant remember the type this came from but its so rich and good. I get it at the farmers market. Some times I put it on peanut butter toast for breakfast.

5 Likes

Try ginger, cinnamon, blackstrap molasses and Golden syrup… just amazing

1 Like

If yall wanna try something very VERY yummy…
ANY box of pre-made cake mix and REPLACE all the water it calls for with CREAM SODA … Holy Cow does it ever taste exactly like cream soda…
Makes the cake very light, fluffy and spongey…

I’ve done this with cakes & cupcakes
So far have success with:
Cream soda
Grape crush soda
Orange crush soda
Plz don’t try root beer soda lol :laughing:

Also try out baking pork-loin with Barks Root beer = Very yummy.

2 Likes

I’ve not been doing any cooking
Or baking since the wife went on a diet lol

2 Likes

can always do the atkins diet… eat as much crap until you can no longer :smile:

1 Like

I am building my wife a bakers kitchen…lol
3 convection ovens, heated food storage area, bread proofing box, pull out scale, etc.
One of the ovens.

The double stack

4 Likes

And lighted shelving thru out.

1 Like

Well I’m trying to support her
And the diet by sneaking out and eating burritos behind her back lol

Shit I’m not drinking slim fast,stuff is nasty

3 Likes