any thoughts or information on basic breeding theory?

Nice first thread ^^

For historic bricks & mortars, the opacity was always maximal. But stoners/customers are prone to love it also in general, it generate looping discussions, dramas and stories. With backward, i think each side found its interrest in this opacity.

It’s not specially better with little labels, but they are more prone to share wtf theyr are doing generally.

Sometimes also just giving the real pedigree and its real generation give also the blueprint to make it at home without much difficulty (if you have the same material). In the actual era, it’s a complicated subject.

“Our” industry don’t have any constraints imposed by the customers, like hemp by example where storytelling is totally annihilated in favor of reliable datas and traceability : seeds/fiber yield, amendment per acre, cost of processing per volume etc …

You have to extend the question on a practical case, it’s way too evasive to be answered.

Strategies are the same, practical tricks are the same … the plant is the same ^^ But weed artists exist and are performing too … it’s not binary, even in competitiveness.

The most important is to obtain a factual evolution of your results, if one of both ways (methodical VS instinctive, like already said in this thread) is locking you in status quo … you know your poison. And if both don’t work for you, it’s maybe because you need both at a time in a balance that is your.

But technically there is none frontier just because you chose to sold genetics. It’s more a question of responsibilities (you serve a paid service) and niche.

But a bunch of breeding theories have to be thrown by the window ^^ It’s the game, you have to be segregationist also in your approach. Simply to make you agile with your own context, it’s not even hierarchic or qualitative. Ask Charles ^^

That what stoners do since ages in fact. Finding a motherplant to make a daily smoke is quite a basical steps before entering in breeding generally.

You don’t mount companies worth 8 digits on intuitions. Specially when you last decades at this game.
It’s a bit abusive and absolutist, like the “99%”.

The saturation of the actual market make it very visible with mushroom-labels, i don’t disagree for this specific angle. But even in this specific pool, they aren’t all “hit&run” and some clearly understand that structuring their production with methods is the way to last or to evolve.

I totally agree on the dynamic and the genetic cost but it’s a narrowed statement if you consider that it’s impossible to spread the work on specialized parallel lines. Just like with cattle. Resistances can be worked aside and regularly injected, just like any other traits of the final product.

I don’t disagree at all on what to plan to face, i’m just more tempered tactically.

The whole game turn around this, the fear disappear with a methodical evaluation of what you’re doing and why. There is no real critical point where you get rid of constraints, it’s more the reverse generally.

The first crosses that made me proud back in the days are totally a shame from my actual perspective. It’s also a factor : the more you’re experiencing, the more you’re demanding generally.

An agile breeding is the way, on the battleground you have constantly to adapt. At the moment you’re generating a progeny with choices (instinctive or not), you’re the breeder of the said progeny with intel from the making of no one else have. I don’t see the point to sanctify the word “breeder”, it’s not because you decide arbitrary that you’re a “chunker” or not that you’re breeding is necessary good or bad ^^

Better to realize fast the responsibilities involved in your choices early, and to don’t call it something else to avoid them.

Like i said it’s a quantitative mirage and don’t really belong to the breeders, but it belong to what want customers. If they want a new strain each 6 months, it reduce mechanically the options to satisfy them.

It’s not bad or good, it’s a matter of niche again.

Not necessary. But a bunch of “legends” can fall from their pedestal to talk about it practically ^^
You can have a high-flow catalog of stable strains, just in specializing your methods in BX and quantitative selections. As dumb that this.

Stoners like “White or Black” matters, but breeding is all about the Grey sincerely.

It’s totally possible to just be a grower, yes ^^ I guess that the formulation of the question don’t really express the initial idea.

So many things that a list is impossible to make. But at a conceptual level it’s quite simple actually.

When you fall in love for a type of smoke and then, the type of specimens producing it … logically you want to increase drastically the rate of these specimens in progeny.

It create a funnel. And the more you dig down in the rabbit hole, the more the accuracy of selection have to increase. It’s not this long to obtain an uniform progeny, which complicate the selection more than the reverse.

It’s not an obligation too, you can bypass it and just stay in perpetual F1. All ways lead to Rome at the moment you obtain factual results worth a blunt ^^

Look at this, your notion of “failure” will maybe change with this vulgarization.

The lack of poly-hybridism is specifically what was burnt to ashes over the last two decades. In favor of one-shot work focused on only one trait (monohybridism), when there is a focus ^^

Not much filial 6 generally, but more “gen 6” implying different technics. I’m talking ofc about advanced works, not about all lines “sold as” advanced.

The occurrence of homozygous recessive phenos mostly belong to the kind of pressure applied and your constancy to maintain them.

Most of commercial releases today have to be screened for basic lacks of cares : herms, vigor, predictability of the final product … so pragmatically the occurence of “homozygous recessive phenos” mostly belong to you and your methods.

Don’t worry i understood that you was talking about “super phenos” or the motherplants mentionned previously.

Working with IBLs is my poison but not necessary the golden road either. Depend on the goal and the timeline you give to accomplish this, mostly.

Inbreeding landraces is all but a “safe way”. Obtaining dominance from a line mostly depend on what you’re pairing on the other side. Mendel laws aren’t absolutes, but totally relative to the genotypes concerned.

Add to this that this dominance … have to be dank and worth the ride ^^

I totally disagree to compare a S1 with a F1. They aren’t even related technically.

You can make S1s that are F2, F5 , F10 … there is no obligatory correlation between the filial generation and a progeny built with a cheated haploid sequence.

So true, so ignored today.

I’m less faithful on this point. Budgets still a thing that is already limiting a lot the actual searches, i mean by this that we are already far to use full throttle the present “constrained” context.

Just an opinion, but overall i believe that the next 5 years will be quite a dance anyway.

Very much, but it’s important to prevent the dreamers that it’s a methodological statement. On practical leverages, the vegetal reign can’t be superimposed. Thx for the share, i find everything from the 90’s dope generally ^^

Amen

If only, but no i disagree. Commercial release are barely maintained today. Selected and stabilized on multiple traits, even badly ? I think you’re a bit faithful on this one. R&D is limited to buy cuts and to stack them now, i’m a bit abusive in saying this but … not fundamentally wrong for the biggest players either lol

If it’s a true poly, it’s already stabilized. Why reinventing the wheel and not using directly the IBL ? I don’t understand the strategy to push it more.

You can even do it 100 times from the same F1, and never get the same line at the end of the chain. It’s what people are totally under-evaluating today, and give edge to smart ass in marketing too. I loop on the “i pushed a line to its true genetic depression” or the “this F1 is depressed” often read, and never really shown ^^

Absolutely not ^^ Quantitative breeding, back-crossing, methodic early screening … it’s not really a “weed-artist”.

He don’t desserve today that I defend his 90’s works, but fairness on this one is important to don’t lure people on “what it take”.

It’s a matter of specialization and niche. Actually it’s more easy to sell a landrace preserved (people don’t expect high level of standards) that making competitive hybrids with them.

But there is a lot more labels selling landraces than 20 years ago.

That’s breeding buddy, perpetuating. Now if your philosophy consider that starting from scratch and throwing in the trash-can all the legacy is the only way to be respected … you end almost in the prehistory this way, it’s never ending.

It’s a debate i often have, i still don’t understand this drive to reinvent the wheel for everything. The true credibility is always built when the lighter come close to the blunt at the end of the chain …

I never try to understand, i just look at their plants and make my opinion this way. Even more if they are selling.

It’s why it’s totally crazy to mix mammals with vegetal reign in these considerations. We don’t smoke dogs as well like you said ^^

But i understand you concern and it’s not so about an hidden time machine in the DNA (both cases), but more about the grade of the progeny for a given goal. The cost of the performance and the performance of the cost.

Just to be playful, making S1s and exploring them teach you the strict reverse. Even if it’s narrowed around the potential of an unique phenotype. This plant is really fantastic overall.

A good breeder will use the natural dynamics at its advantage, over to believe that he can see the code like Neo. So i disagree on this binary judgement.

5 Likes