Any way to reduce consumption without reducing relief?

Hah, thats a good un, never heard it before.
DMSO def gets good rep for all sorts of things, this lady is a vet, apparently magically healed a dog who had its shoulder ripped off, actually re-grew stuff.

3 Likes

I am a grower/caregiver in Southern Oregon. My wife is one of my patients. I know of Rick Simpsons good work, but I have a couple concerns: I think he mentions using naphtha or rubbing alcohol as solvents and then evaporating them off. I am concerned with what is left that doesn’t evaporate. Since ingesting THC is the main goal here, I think just about anything will work as a vehicle for transporting the THC. I make oils with olive oil or grapeseed oil. Any fat will work, including bacon grease if that is all you have. I make tinctures with grain alcohol or glycerine. In the case of the alcohol tinctures, they can be concentrated by evaporating some of the alcohol off. I disagree with consuming the drug alcohol, but it is probably better for you to ingest than naphtha concentrates or rubbing alcohol. I use the alcohol tincture to make a salve that I use for rheumatoid arthritis. It looks and has the consistency of guacamole. I used to just wipe the tincture on the spot, and after the alcohol evaporated (leaving the cannabis) then use 70% DMSO to carry the THC through the skin. It worked well.

Little thing I found, I think I will go with this method. Use either grain alcohol or vegetable glycerin as a solvent, then adding DMSO as a drug carrier. He says 70% DMSO… what’s the other 30%? I see made up solutions of DMSO and aloe, with similar proportions, that’s my theory.

If my chemistry knowledge proves corrects; I should be able to separate some of the plant matter out (dissolved chlorophyll) when using the polar solvent (ethanol) and then transferring to the non polar DMSO and mechanically separating… right? Anyone know? Am I a genius or a dumbass?

1 Like

In his case, I suspect the 30% is water. DMSO exposed to air naturally ends up at 30% water, kind of matches this guy.
Maybe he means that its the kind of DMSO he has, 70%.

Never tried to dissolve weed into DMSO, will for sure test it out after next harvest.
Be nice if it didn’t dissolve chlorophyll, DMSO dissolves both polar and non-polar compounds, great for a ready made extract.

My plan would be to make a raw ethanol extract, winterize it (freeze and filter) to get rid of some wax and chlorophyll, boil off the ethanol and decarb at the same time, then dissolve in DMSO.

This might be the birth of a wonderous pain balm, Canna-Aloe-DMSO. Toss in some anti pain/inflammation essential oils like helicrysium, thyme, rosemary, lavender.

2 Likes

That’s my exact plan for part of my harvest. Then from that, add to some aloe and I have something I can use very discretely. “Solid cologne”

I am considering vacuum extracting the alcohol, I don’t like open air boiling it and we have gas appliances. Ideally I’d distill it for reclamation and then distill the concentrate; either to be added to DMSO or for dabs. I need a vacuum for various other things anyways, it would get about as much use as a decent hot plate thought, at a lower price.

Edit: Well, this wouldn’t be decarbing with out the boiling off at high temp, as decarbing isn’t effected by atmospheric pressure… right?

1 Like

Agreed, I distill and recapture as well. Doing it in vacuum you’d be working with low temperatures, no decarb there.
Yes decarb is temperature over time, I get mine done while boiling off the ethanol and roasting it just a little at the end.

For dabs it wouldn’t matter.
Not sure about creams and pain, I would like my cream decarbed, get a little bonus high and not just pain and inflammation relief. Still, havent tried it yet but would assume I can get a buzz from the cream especially with DMSO.

Read a page a few minutes ago, Sublingual tincture, 100% DMSO , 10:1 ratio to concentrate, lost the exact webpage but he used 4-5 drops when needed under the tongue.

2 Likes

As I understand it, DMSO is about the only way to achieve a psychoactive effects from topical application. Only reason I don’t distill is if the great state of Illinois finds out I HAVE a still, and alcohol, they can condemn the whole damn house. I hope I could convince them it’s clearly moonshine, lol. I buy a bottle of Everclear every week or two for cleaning, and that’s about the only alcohol in the house since I stopped drinking. But, I digress.

FWIW If I remember right Mary’s medicated patches in V1 used DMSO but switch to some magic drug carrier trio for V2. If you search up on making transdermal delivery compounds you can probably find more info on that. I know it’s less dangerous than DMSO but seem to remember it was also not readily done at home.

1 Like

Excellent, then it will work, I dont have any material to work with until Xmas, will be fun.
I’m pretty happy with DMSO, no idea why it would be more dangerous compared with their special solution.

Well the law is an issue, where I am, pretty much everything I do is “deathly evil” so might as well.

BTW, a “water distiller” , that’s what I use, gives you a little cover together with the everclear bottles.
Thats the deluxe model with temperature control.

1 Like

Ooh, nice… is it a bitch to clean? I was going to go with a glass apparatus, I fucking love lab glass. It works. It withstand heat, pressure, chemically inert mostly, and easy to clean.

But that’s a 500ml setup. 4L capacity means bigger batches.

I love lab glass too, sadly Ive just broken my last boiling flask a while back, probably best I dont get more to break.
Cleans up really well, stainless steel, the whole top comes off, no narrow bottle openings to poke around through. I just wash off the insides with small amount of alcohol to get the extract out and finish evaporating it on a lab heater with stirrer.

1 Like

I find it’s OTHER people that break it not me.
Granted that’s because I didn’t put it away properly… or they were just trying help. Mom was washing some stuff and thought she’d just wash some beakers I had around (I think I was making black powder at the time) and she dropped my 50ml beaker… then later I lost the 100ml. Now I have two 400ml and one 600ml. So literally the least helpful ones when dealing with the amount of concentrate I was…

Anyways, I’ll pick up some RSO this weekend probably, maybe some DSMO. So if you don’t hear back from me probably don’t try it.

1 Like

Good one, do report back, well if you make it that is :smiley:
For me its always the lightest little touch from a metal clamp or stand, POPP!!

Yeah… I like glass on glass. When metal comes in it ruins things. I like my SS on SS and my glass on glass! If I can’t clean it with a torch and ethanol, I’m not interested. Lmao.

Although I did blow a glass syringe last week simply by having the wrong gauge tip on it. Apparently you just can force room temp RSO through a 14g tip. Still trying to figure out what to do with the cylinder and plunger, it was a clean break, just took the SS Leur lock on it of with the glass it was attached to. Was hoping to find a glassblowing section here, actually, I really want to explore it a bit but I don’t know how the local studios feel about “build your own bong” classes.

1 Like

Never even thought of glass blowing, that would be insanely useful, make your own glass creations, lab and recreational.

1 Like

Right? Bit pricey to start up though. Not able to start without having $1000 in equipment, eat off going to someone who has it and playing a bit. Have to figure out who the local headshop uses for their “local” hand blown glass. I’m more into borosilicate than free form artsy stuff, but glass is glass and hot glass is still just hot glass.

2 Likes

I’m a tad bit late to this conversation, but have a few comments, etc.

First off, that tincture thread linked has a lot more than just Green Dragon tincture. It’s worth a look. The alcohol based tincture has no more alcohol in it than vanilla extract, it is really quite a small amount, but it does sting. I have had the best results with sublingual dosing using the “dragon breath spray” recipe. A close second are the hard candies. If you really want to avoid alcohol, you can use MCT oil instead. These tinctures are much easier to keep in your mouth for sublingual dosing.

Second, I have had really good luck with a 1:1 tincture of THCA to CBDA. This tincture was not decarbed, so it would not be psychoactive, rather give a general feeling of calm. I have personally had this tincture stop a panic attack mid progress.

4 Likes

Suggestion, but also a question…
Lots of reading above, so I’m just throwing this out there…but isn’t thc fat soluable? Would making an extremely strong thc coconut oil be easy to consume if alcohol based tinctures, suppositories and patches don’t work?

3 Likes

In short yeah, for sure. It’s totally fat soluble, but not as much as it is alcohol soluble. When extracting with fat you bring the temp up to get a good extraction. This works with ethanol too, but tends to lead to news stories about potheads blowing themselves up. I’d rather keep it more idiot proof.

For my application, alcohol tincture do work just fine, I just have chronic pancreatitis and can’t be consuming even small amount of alcohol that often.

This thread has kind of taken a turn, lol, for those interested, I’ll post my experiment in a new topic with a more appropriate title.

And to all who’ve been reading- thanks, keeping busy keeps me sane, this was a fun bit of research and discussion, hope it works out well. DMSO gets a pretty bad wrap, but from what I can see it’s solely when used incorrectly. Which does lead me to a question- what’s a good product to clean the application area prior to application? My obvious first thought was old trusty ethanol, but wait, I can be putting extremely high proof alcohol right into my bloodstream. So, suggestions? (I’m realizing of course after writing it all out, you probably could just let the ethanol evaporate?)

4 Likes

Thats pretty much what MCT oil is, but in a liquid form at room temperature. When I make MCT oil tinctures, I start with a concenterate like RSO or rosin.

5 Likes

That was gonna be my next suggestion… make the oil and then mix it, rather than start with herb alone.

1 Like

Oh yeah, this’ll be straight up RSO and 98% DMSO (Amazon Prime ftw). I’ll use it first thing in the morning, starting with 50/50 then go from there. Unless I find the effects rather than unpleasant, I’ll stick it out and try various doses every morning going 40/60DMSO down to maybe 1-5% DMSO. I considered BHO rather than RSO, but honestly that didn’t feel safe. It’s all lab tested solvent free, but I’d much rather accidentally get a little ethanol than a little butane in my blood. (Even though I’m pretty sure if you decarb the wax it’ll surely boil off).

1 Like