Any way to save this?

I am confused. Why would the mold spores not be in the hash? I also read that the dead spores can be carcinogenic. I tossed the big cola I had last run. Not something I wanted to experiment on myself with.

1 Like

I have the same thought about that. Tbh Im prolly just going to make edibles, cooked mildew is probably better (I have cleaned off a ton of it on my plants I cut down so far). Im waiting to check if there is anymore on them when they are done drying, which should be dead anyway from the peroxide.

Some papers on contamination.

Cannabis Indoor Growing Conditions, Management Practices, and Post-Harvest Treatment: A Review

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/333818028_Cannabis_Indoor_Growing_Conditions_Management_Practices_and_Post-Harvest_Treatment_A_Review/fulltext/5d0787a8a6fdcc35c1536186/Cannabis-Indoor-Growing-Conditions-Management-Practices-and-Post-Harvest-Treatment-A-Review.pdf

The diverse mycoflora present on dried cannabis ( Cannabis sativa L., marijuana) inflorescences in commercial production

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/342217337_The_diverse_mycoflora_present_on_dried_cannabis_Cannabis_sativa_L_marijuana_inflorescences_in_commercial_production/fulltext/5ef279c6a6fdcc158d238d81/The-diverse-mycoflora-present-on-dried-cannabis-Cannabis-sativa-L-marijuana-inflorescences-in-commercial-production.pdf

Metagenomic analysis of medicinal Cannabis samples; pathogenic bacteria, toxigenic fungi, and beneficial microbes grow in culture-based yeast and mold tests

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Ryan_Lynch2/publication/310440001_Metagenomic_analysis_of_medicinal_Cannabis_samples_pathogenic_bacteria_toxigenic_fungi_and_beneficial_microbes_grow_in_culture-based_yeast_and_mold_tests/links/587e4d9308ae9275d4eb8e99/Metagenomic-analysis-of-medicinal-Cannabis-samples-pathogenic-bacteria-toxigenic-fungi-and-beneficial-microbes-grow-in-culture-based-yeast-and-mold-tests.pdf

Microbiological examination of nonsterile Cannabis products

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjl0vbBtortAhXldM0KHcXeADQ4ChAWMAh6BAgLEAI&url=https%3A%2F%2Fosf.io%2Fvpxe5%2Fdownload&usg=AOvVaw18wQu7lvSXyaTk-RcEy9Dn

1 Like

Mold grows on the plant material. Bubblehash has no or very little plant material in it. The process of making bubble hash is to separate the trichomes from the plant material and compress the trichomes together making hash.
I also wash all the buds before I start to remove as much of the mold as possible.

But it is easy to remove the mold from the plant material, what is to say it does not get washed off the leaves and ends up with the tricā€™s? You may be ok with the level of risk, I am not.

I would start removing those fans and cut off any moldy buds. consider cutting it down if your weather is damp. if it is seeded on the plant most likely it is a dence mess with no air on those spots so mold seems to start on the seeded areas. Otherwise, look decent. What strain?

If you are inexperienced you would be wise to throw away plants containing any mold on them. Making edibles with moldy bud is as dangerous as smoking it.
I do not use bud that i see any mold in it. I wash my bud before drying it and once dry freeze it for days in the freezer before making hash.
In my last harvest I threw away about a pound of bud that I deemed not suitable for use.
Always side with caution and donā€™t take risks with your health, ingesting mold in any form whether smoking or eating it is a risky venture.
I wasnā€™t suggesting using moldy bud to make hash. I made hash out of my outdoor harvest because I saw a little bit of PM on a few leaves and sided with using caution with all of it by checking each bud I was going to use. And making bubble with it instead of just smoking it. I also donā€™t use leaves when making bubble, I trim before starting the process.

1 Like

Can you point to anything in those links that makes your point?
The first link mentions contamination twice and never mentions mildew at all. What was the point of that link?

The second link can not state where the origin of the fungusā€™s came from, that they tested. Only that they were on the tested budā€¦could even be from trimming. Their conclusion is that itā€™s possible to have contamination on cannabisā€¦lmao. does not contain the word residual and they make no specific anything.actually rec further study

The third link is more of the sameā€¦yeah we get that you can grow mold on a petrie dish

Link 4 again is similar and ultimately inconclusive or indecisive, take your pick One must also be mindful that many foilar sprays used to combat yeast and molds utilize hydrogen
peroxide or vinegar and may affect the pH of cannabis tested. It would be preferable to have a tool
that measures the microbes more specifically than one that is exposed to the pH impact of the
multitude of additives one might find on Cannabis.
Thatā€™s basically saying they canā€™t differentiate contributing factors.

There you go.

Iā€™ve done it. It works fine. I am not dead.

2 Likes

Sorry, I had a whole slew of papers on another site and this section was about mold. I just pasted them as information on mold and take away from them what you will. I got the feeling I would rather not take chances with my health after reading up on it. Just thought it might be of note rather than Bro science. You may do as you feel fit.

You must be close to harvest, huh? I do the 5 gal bucket wash. If there is PM, I use Green Cure and go a little heavy in the first wash bucket. Second bucket is water with concentrated lemon juice, for the rinse.

Just take all the large fans off first and wash each limb. Lightly swish it around and make sure you get a few minutes contact. Do the 2nd bucket for the rinse and again, swish it around lightly. Then hang on a clothesline like normal.

It depends though. With real tight buds the mildew can hide in between them. After drying you can decide if there is clean bud left to smoke. If itā€™s been on the plant a long time, it may not work, but I have salvaged light PM issues with a good wash.

3 Likes

OKā€¦but there is not one thing mentioned in those links about your health.

Putting up four links trying to spell out doom and gloom to make your pointā€¦meanwhile the links do not do thatā€¦ Hate to tell you, but thatā€™s the definition of ā€œBro Scienceā€ And xactly the reason I calling it out.
I get you want to be healthyā€¦me too, maybe everybodyā€¦but letā€™s spare the bullshit. Especially bullshit alluded to as scientific fact.

I had to harvest early because of this.Thatā€™s WPM.It starts out as a little spot here and there then it gets worse.I washed my buds in peroxide lemon juice and baking soda dip bath.It washed all bud up nice.My jars are three weeks into cure no mold yet and they smell awesome didnā€™t lose any taste

2 Likes

Update on my plants guys

I sprayed them with hydrogen peroxide water and lemon juice, cuz why not lol

3 days later, it seems to have kept the powder mold at bay. Im sure itā€™ll need another treatment in like 4 days but it sure seems like things have slowed down very good.

1 Like

The HP works. Also helps if added to water then water your plants. But be careful. To much itā€™s not good.

1 Like

Powdery mildew is not a human pathogen and are not known to be a mycotoxin risk. The only potential negative effect healthwise from ingesting it is an allergic reaction or physical irritation from inhalation of the spores.

Solvent extract, edibles, and bubble hash can all remediate it (bubblehash is going to contain some contaminants, though the spores are smaller than the smallest trichome heads and should wash out of the bag.)

Even the flower is ok to smoke, itā€™s just gross.

4 Likes

Perhaps suggest washing your bud after havestā€¦ H2O2 bath-clean water-clean waterā€¦

1 Like

I agree with that. @BudBusterPro it makes a big difference in the taste. Plus just being clean.

1 Like