Finding botrytis during trim

Hey everybody. Couldn’t find a straight answer for this in a google search…

But I’m in the process of trimming and I am finding fluffy white patches in some of the buds.
I’m assuming it’s early stages of bud rot.

Should I just toss those nugs that have some “fluff” in them and hope this batch doesn’t mold in the jar?

What’s the best way to save as much as possible?

1 Like

Pictures Will help too

1 Like

I have found this about halfway through dry during inspection once. I cut the worst of it out and rewashed in h2o2. Restarted drying process and worked out fine. I’m not sure if that’s a viable solution here. But it’s the closest experience I have.

3 Likes

H2O2 Is good also removing powdery mildew After harvesting,with a bath and a rinse in Plain water

3 Likes

Here are the pictures. It’s not horrible. Looks like I caught the very beginning.

I’ll keep trying to trim out the fuzz and the. I’ll dunk it all in a H2o2 mix.

4 Likes

I’ve never seen it grow in a jar. It should be fine to just remove the buds around the area. As long as it’s dry enough and you don’t let the humidity spike up I haven’t had it grow.

If you’re worried, maybe go into paper bags for a few days.

2 Likes

So you’re thinking I don’t even need to do an H202 wash?

Just trim, maybe let it sit in a paper bag for a few days and let it cure?

3 Likes

Right or wrong, that’s what I do. I treat it like mold on fruit. If there’s no visible mold, then there aren’t enough mycotoxins to worry about.

4 Likes

I would Just Do an immersion,stirring gently,let drop 5 seconds,put in water only,stir,drop a bit and let It dry,then hang to dry.I did It in my last harvest.3-5% H2O2 related to water ml or liters.the other tank,only water.My 2 poor cents

1 Like

Thank you @lefthandseeds @Andrexl and @Eagles009 !

I like the idea of treating it like mold on fruit. I may do a little H202 dunk, but it’s all trimmed already And fairly dry.

I threw out about 1/4 an oz. Hopefully it was enough damage control.

4 Likes

Do not worry,grow on friend, it’s knowdoledge the most precious thing you have gained,not your weed
Happy to give a hand

2 Likes

Amen to that!

1 Like

I would take a couple with fuzz and pull them apart a bit. And maybe a couple other random bigger denser buds. It might be much worse on the inside where the smaller chunks press against each other.

3 Likes

Thank you for saying something!

I did notice this and I only found this to be the case on the biggest cola. Sad to lose it, but at least the rest seemed ok

2 Likes

I wouldn’t risk bringing spores to your lungs, this happened to me:

WhatsApp Image 2019-03-08 at 21.24.14

I saw it once in jar and culled the whole jar, it can spread and be hiding inside of big nugs. I know you can do recipes with them, just not safe to smoke them … beer3|nullxnull

5 Likes

Oh I’ve seen that. Pretty sure it’s just an opportunistic decomposer mold not Botrytis.

Usually it happens when I pull or cut a leaf, and the petiole itself withers and molds. I’ve also seen a few points of fluffy growth exactly like that when I’ve jarred too moist buds.

4 Likes

Agree it’s no botrytis, but that kind of mold can develop from the inside, just cut some of the bigger nugs to check inside, one never knows and it’s better to be safe than … stretcher|nullxnull

6 Likes

Thats good to know. I figured it was botrytis because it started inside the buds and was a white fluffy mold.

I did have a little humidity spike a few weeks back, but nothing outrageous. Maybe that, combined with the withered petioles was enough to get it going?

1 Like

I noticed that petioles thing too. The buds hold them in place instead of letting them fall off, and sure enough is a point of infection. During flower especially, I’ll be pulling leaves instead of cutting in the future.

2 Likes

You just need to cut the leaf stem out between the buds as close to the stalk as possible on large buds.

Moisture can collect on the leaf and run down the leaf stem and work itself inbetween the buds and start to mold.

4 Likes