Anybody else like to fish?

These are smoked yes? I love love love smoked rainbow trout.

5 Likes

Surf fishing ? As an East Coaster in Cape Breton , Nova Scotia . I take offense to that statement … :stuck_out_tongue:

Just jking of course . Beautiful work on your blanks.
The only time we wait for our rod to bend here while fishing striped bass , is when our line isn’t in the water .
Sadly our salmon fishing is dead at this point.

4 Likes

went this morning for some perch, i caught the 2 on the blue stringer. one was pretty decent size, the other almost too small. i actually caught a large sheephead (first time), with the low LB test i couldn’t lift it up and the line broke. it put up one hell of a fight, half way through i figured it couldn’t be a perch, lol. might go back later when things cool down. i can’t handle the heat and had to go home. my brother paid for the bait (soft shell crayfish, but frozen) so he’ll be the one the filets go to.

18 Likes

went to the lake this evening not expecting to catch anything. caught a few gobi so nothing really. i decided i’m going to use them as cut bait when i run out of softshell crayfish. the crayfish pieces fall off the hook too easily, pretty much throwing away money. the rough skin of the gobi makes it very difficult to get it off the hook. the weather was nice, a cool breeze to make up for the hot day
y

5 Likes

I love fishing it’s just so hard to find the time with my busy life. I finally got some time off to go tuna fishing the end of this month hopefully I come back with some food.

7 Likes

15 Likes

I got out today with my new bait finesse rig(Dobyns701, Curado BFS), nothing but a bunch of short strikers.

But man this stick kicks ass, I was sending a 3/16 jerkbait across the canal I fish a good seventy feet away. Thats not record breaking distance I know but I lost accuracy with the fairy wand. With this thing I I can park that bait right on the opposing bank in some very tight windows. Love how the rod locks up, not even kinda noodley. Well worth the money.

The Curado BFS took me a minute to figure the breaks out, a few over runs later and I had it. Thing is butter smooth and light. Loaded with Diawa J-braid in 8lbs. Also well worth the money.

I still need to open up the reel and clean the grease out of the bearings and give them a drop of oil. Bet I get another 10-15 feet.

7 Likes

These Alvey reels made in Australia are great for super long casts. The reel seat has a release in the base that lets them rotate 90 degrees in the reel seat which makes them similar to an open face reel. After the cast is made they can be rotated back to sitting in the reel seat similar to a fly reel.

These models are about 6 inches in diameter and hold 1200 yards of 6 lb test. Just to see what I could do for a long distance cast, I used a very stiff Dipsy Diver rod which is my stiffest rod.

It is used for trolling for salmon, which has very small eyelets compared to those rods used for long distance casting and world records. These world record types of rods are also very stiff but have just a few eyelets that are 3 to 4 inches in diameter for the largest eyelet and huge sized weights are used for trying for world record casts. The large diameter eyelets cut down on friction which greatly increases distance.

I used the stiffest rod I had which was a Dipsy Diver rod designed for 20 lb test, and went to a large field where I used to live. Using a 2 oz. egg sinker with the 6 lb test, I made quite a few casts as hard and as far as I could. The longest was 570 feet which is almost the length of two football fields.

I found this doing a search for the world record cast and the reel used.

“At sanctioned United Kingdom Surfcasting Federation (UKSF) events, Danny Moeskops established three weight-category records, his longest cast being with a 150-gram (5.29 oz.) weight in August 2004 for a distance of 915.22 feet. He used a Century TT-R rod with a modified Abu Ambassadeur reel.”

7 Likes

Not a bad night fishing a beaver dam on a brook for some non stocked brookies

19 Likes

Chinook season here in NW BC , hopefully get out this weekend. When I was younger , I fished 4 or 5 days a week , I’m 40 now with a 10 year old and a 8 year old , probably fish once a month if I’m lucky.

6 Likes
7 Likes

That’s just too cool!

Thank you for posting that video, @Biglizard! I had to watch it multiple times. It’s so much fun!

4 Likes

That’s an amazing cast for 2oz, did you use a shock leader?
The 3.5 oz record is just over 900ft.
They also use the CT reels with thin rocket fuel reel oil but I think the rods are actually regular premium quality multiplier rods of 14-16ft which have less eyes than the fixed spool rods, there are no eyes on the lower section and 4 or 5 on the 2nd section but they are regular sizes, then they obviously use a shock leader to take the initial strain attached to much thinner line. Surprising how much line weight affects distance.
It’s weird how the heavier leads go further but the weight is needed to bend those stiff rods.

If anyone is fishing the Atlantic coast, I’m on the other side a few thousand miles away in Wales.

7 Likes

Howdy over there!

13 Likes

You’re pants would melt, not going to fool us.

2 Likes

I’m at the top of the pants game with these new Segall A-9 fishing pantaloons. Notice my leader also lassos the fish for extra security.

6 Likes

That’s good eating right there. The fins are like potato chips.

3 Likes

The cheeks will make even the most jaded troll swoon.

4 Likes

OMFG! Segall has become one with AI! lol (1)

3 Likes

No shock leader but I was using 6 lb. test Trilene XT, which probably tests closer to 8 to 10 lbs. actual breaking strength. I did launch one egg sinker when I tried doing a 360 with my body and the rod for extra distance. A shock leader probably would have saved that egg sinker.

That distance I mentioned was done after about a dozen casts. I have a 200’ roll out tape that I used for making my measurements. Still the diameter of the Alvey spool of 6" trying to choke down to less than a half inch for the eyelet closest to the reel was where the friction
robbed me of some distance.