The offical OG ice fishing thread

Its almost my favorite time of the year!!! Ive been a diehard fisherman almost my entire life, but within the past 3-4 years I’ve been absolutely addicted to ice fishing!!! Theres just something about trecking across a frozen lake to find some fish!! People call me crazy, but i think if i could only pick one type of fishing to do, it would be ice fishing!!! Ive meant some awesome, crazy, iceheads these last few seasons and always looking to link up with other crazy ice fishin fools!!!

This is my PB best crappie i caught through the ice on a small reservoir in Ohio last year!!! Caught it on a tiny tungesten jig my wife bought me for Christmas but she almost returned them when she seen how small they were and thought they wouldnt catch anything.
Feel free to post any pictures or stories of your ice fishing adventures.

24 Likes

That’s a nice crappie! Fished my whole life and grew up in western Pa but never went ice fishing. Good luck on your upcoming outlings!

7 Likes

I´m from northern Europe and can totally relate to the joys of ice fishing. Do you use a tent?

2 Likes
1 Like

Cool!!! Is this a seasonal thing or does it go year round? :grinning: :grinning: :grinning:

:four_leaf_clover: :four_leaf_clover: :four_leaf_clover:

1 Like

Many long nights on the ice with my Father eating beans from a can warmed on the stove while chatting and hoping to see that tip-up move just enough to then yank it hard to set that hook!

SOOOO many Whitefish thrown out that window onto the ice of Lake Simcoe to freeze up which when home he and my Mom cooked up and ate. I never ate what I caught because ironically I am highly allergic to fish if consumed so it was always fun but food for my relatives.

I don’t fish unless I’m with someone who will eat what is caught as I’m not much of a catch an release person so if something’s gonna die it better be used appropriately. :+1:

12 Likes

How do you feel about pigeons?

4 Likes

They live ON MY HOUSE during the day. One of the younger male feral cats has started perfecting hunting them and I’m okay with this. It’ll cull the dumb shits from the flock and make them stronger for it.

:metal:

6 Likes

nice!!
an ice fishing thread
Winter is my favorite time of year… no bugs and I love ice fishing
Went out last weekend for brook trout but I got skunked. Our friends caught 3 and the biggest was just shy of 3lbs.
Most lakes around us… and there are hundreds… will be fishable in a few weeks but the higher up ones are already near a foot of ice.
my primary target is Kokanee but we also have rainbow, brookies and char/lake trout depending what lake we are on.
can’t wait to see what other fishers get up to this winter

6 Likes

Thats awesome!!! Where are you located? I live in NE Ohio and we consider ourselves lucky if we’re on the ice before Christmas. I got a feeling we might get lucky this year!!! Really wanna take a trip to the UP

3 Likes

Yes, ive got a small pop up, but planning on doing some winter ice camping this season. Going to upgrade to a larger insulated shanty

3 Likes

Well Hello, eh! Worked on the HUT today, just 1 door and corner mouldings and paint to go! Then wait for 2 months LOL. Lots of lakes here (S. Ontario) have all year seasons for speckled, Lake, and Rainbow trout, and we seem to have lots of stocked Splake. Hopefully we get early ice and can get out with the portable hut! BTW what do you guys use for ice auger and electronics???

2 Likes

I bought a Gen 1 lithium auger and absolutely love it!!! Gonna buy a spare battery and should have no issues drilling holes all day.
Last year i uograded my Vexilar flx28. Its an awesome unit.

2 Likes

@douggyfresh420 I’m in the interior of British Columbia Canada at about 3000ft above sea level. It’s full on winter here now. Things get into full swing between christmas and new years and then usually all the lakes around here have a good foot of ice by then.

@Cannasaurusrex I use a Garmin Striker plus 5 for electronics and my 6 inch auger is powered by my Dewalt 20V max with the 6ah battery. My 8 inch is a manual but I am upgrading to a strikemaster lithium ion 8inch as soon as my budget affords it.
For ice huts I have a HT Instashak for going light , a Clam retreat ice for when there is 2 or more of us and for my solo trips my go to set up is my Otter xt pro cottage flip over… love that thing, And if that wasn;t enough I am turning my 1978 8ft pickup truck camper into an ice shack for our lake so we have a home base with a wood stove and a cook top.
fun times!!!

5 Likes

Sounds like a blast!!! You guys are so lucky up that way to get a nice long season. We are lucky to get an entire month with safe ice to fish.

3 Likes

I have just been ice fishing for 3-4 years now, I’m at the 20V drill with adaptors and big batteries

A different shelter for every party, wow, ready for anything. I’m still a walker, I usually bum a tow for our permanent hut, otherwise, we push as its a jerry rig with old downhill skis as runners. I have 3 boats, canoes etc. but only boots and cleats for winter water…so far. I don’t like slush, I have discovered lol. I use a Lowrance hook 5 Ice machine. I wish it had the all-season pack, Lowrance customer service is awful for finding compatible acceseries, I could use it more effectively in the summer.
Can’t wait dudes :fishing_pole_and_fish: :maple_leaf: :t_rex: :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Current status… Smoking a fat joint of some lost river!!! Standing directly infront of the buddy heater while i smell my percolated coffee brewing. Pure bliss. No only if there was some ice below me

6 Likes

hahaha dude… I have the exact… and I mean exact same set up
same heater, same camp oven… same coffee pot LOL
I don’t take the oven too often but when we have a big group fishing day it comes along for sure.

5 Likes

Thats awesome lol!!!

1 Like

About to pull the trigger. Any recommendations on which one is better?

3 Likes