Anyone ever grown in the reusable shopping bags?

I’ve used reusable bags, but won’t again.

They didn’t hold up, I had issues with splitting seams and tearing fabric.

Cheap (free) yes. As durable as a real fabric pot? No.

No way !
That cat likes to climb, hide and wait till you walk by then jump on your back , she took out the glass top on my stove and knocked over a metal picture frame that got my wife in the forehead .
The corner gave her an instant lump and then 3 days later both eyes were so purple that she looked like a panda .
Her doctor suggested that she wear dark sunglasses till it goes away and asked if she still liked her cat lol

This batch of fabric is thick , I think that my thread is my weak point .
I’m going to make some bigger ones for outdoors next summer , I’ll used a heavier nylon for them.

3 Likes

Are you hand stitching or do you have a sowing machine? And if you’re hand stitching how long does it take and the thread , nylon is best or your upgrade to nylon? I ask only cuz I’ve thought bout it :slight_smile:

Sewing machine , it takes the wife a whole 2 minutes to sew up a bag.
Takes longer to layout and cut the fabric .
Are they as well built as the nice storeboughts , no .
Does the plant care , no .
They only cost me a bit of time .

2 Likes

Joheim here, and those are mine. I just found this thread! Ha ha! :laughing: Yes I’m still using them! They are producing beautifully and I’m on my 3rd and 4th runs with a couple of them, no they don’t stay rectangular and I keep them in dish basins, may help them last longer. Here’s an OK shot with the bag and then that same girl (not the ones from the first post) just before harvest. The bags work if you do.

9 Likes

Also I’m not sure it qualifies as “Advanced” techniques… more like “cheap” or “broke a$$” technique

Oh, and DGC! REPRESENT!!

4 Likes

If you have no pots, and you make one, I’d say you have advanced. Lol.

I like this kind of stuff.

3 Likes

Does water drain through them pretty easily?

1 Like

yes , no issues plus they airprune the roots .

2 Likes

Perfect. I have 3 gallon smart pots but I would like to try a bigger pot, these sound like they would be great. I’m going to pick a couple up at Wally World soon

1 Like

I think I saw the plain blue ones were up to 0.75 a piece.

Got capsicum growing in one outside, looks like it will hold out for a season but the stitching is the weak link.

1 Like

I’ve recently used one to flower out a rather large plant. It held up fine. I will find a pic and post it.

2nd pic is a pot I made out of a felt blanket and tomato cage. Im using one made from the same material now but is made much nicer by someone much more skilled at using needle and thread than I am.

5 Likes

Thats actually cheaper than I thought they would be.

Nice, it looks like it’s holding up pretty well!

Its done and over with now. Thst was my last run-or id been able to get a shot of it still. The bag held up just fine-you may have to use a new piece of cardboard if you on the bottom if you want to reuse it but the fabric didn’t rip stretch of fail in any way. This cut is super flimsy thin branches so there was a good amount of stress put on the bag from my clumsy ass trying to make the plant do what I needed her to do almost every single day.