Grow bags for sprouts?

Anyone use these before?

Check this out! https://a.co/d/4wn6n1t

Paper grow bags for seedlings—> transplant. Just wondering if anyone’s had success. Drain hole at bottom…

Also, what about those grow pods? I’ve never seemed to have luck with them?

6 Likes

I use them for all my seeds. I did a side by side with these and cups. The seedlings in bags grew faster and bigger. Also great that you can just plant the whole bag.

29 Likes

I see Doug is replying, so he’ll tell you he uses them; I use them because I saw him do it. So wonderful IMO. No transplant stress, no over watering, great root development.
I fill the bag, then push the bottom corners in so that its round before tamping everything down

7 Likes

What exact size do you use Doug, the 3" tall ones or bigger?

3 Likes

Oh yeah I need to invest in some of these

2 Likes

Comes with 400pcs in one set with two dimensions: 8 x 11cm/3.15 x 4.33inch (200pcs); 10 x 12cm / 3.94 x 4.72inch. 400 for $15. They fit great in cups.

10 Likes

Cool thanks, so they need to be stored in a cup to prevent light on roots I’m guessing?

1 Like

That and to keep them upright. I use a clear cup with holes in the bottom for drainage. Then, put a paper cup over top to block light. I just cut the bottom of those. That way, you can pull off the paper one and see root development.

4 Likes

I got ones similar, haven’t tried them out yet though.

I liked the idea of being able to transplant with the bags.

4 Likes

It is great. All these are in seedling bags. Transplant was a breeze.

5 Likes

I heard they did good :call_me_hand:. I’m surprised more people don’t use them.

2 Likes

Here’s my fold job so that they stand up on their own. By the time roots can see light, they’re already air pruning, so I don’t care about that… it’s what’s inside the soil that matters to me.

And, bonus, if you up pot BOG style, your plant label will be visible until the end of your grow!

15 Likes

Any practical reaaon why you leave 2in of the bag above soil level besides seeing the label?

4 Likes

Can’t say for these but I do a similar thing with fabric pots as an outdoor grower (plant the whole bag into the ground) and the few inches of bag sticking up can be convenient for watering as a berm to keep it from running off

4 Likes

That’s the Bonanza of Green method.
BOG only buried transplants halfway to encourage downward growth of roots.
@Pigeonman has some photos of his “top hat” transplants, I just can’t find them.
Here ya go, found one @Gonzo :

10 Likes

Ah I had just picked up some 1/4 gallon AC Infinity grow bags and they’ve been great!

They’re a bit bigger than these though and its 50 for ~$7. I might have to pick up some of these smaller bags for seedlings :thinking: 400 for ~$12 is a fantastic deal.

6 Likes

Wow

Thanks for that Doug, Moooorning !

1 Like

Got some jiffy pots from my Mom’s and never used one but I just started one and I have roots growing out the bottom and I have been trying to decide on whether or not to cut the top half off because it’s only the bottom that’s breaking down the most but I am looking for any feedbackor input

? I have been looking at the bag’s for awhile and I have decided to order some and I’m really curious if they’ll be a help with Auto’s and less stress when going to the final pot!?

5 Likes

Good morning

2 Likes

That’s a really good question! Some of these auto’s flower when root bound, or rather, when the tap root hits the bottom of the pot and has to turn. Not necessarily when the whole pot is root bound. I’m unsure how these bags would affect that response :thinking:

1 Like