Anyone ever used this?

Anyone ever used this product? I am looking for a Surfcant for my STS spray and I can not afford 28 bucks for a bottle of Yucca extract, I figure this must be plant safe if it can be used with fertlizer, just wondering if anyone has used it and what your experience with it has been?

2 Likes

I’m about to do my first STS spray. Do most people add a surfactant? I have yucca.

2 Likes

I am told it helps prevent the STS from beading up and running off and helps it “stick better” if you have yucca already I would add it to your spray bottle for sure.

1 Like

It won’t affect the effectiveness of the STS spray?

2 Likes

I guess not, Lots of people use it, Cant say 100% for sure, but I have been told he helps. hopefully someone with more knowledge jumps in to answer that question.

2 Likes

Let’s ask @DougDawson . I know he does a lot of pollen chucking.

1 Like

Wouldn’t a drop of dawn dish soap so the same thing?

Edit: actually, baby shampoo is apparently the better thing :thinking:

6 Likes

Maybe but I dont really wanna put dish soap or baby shampoo on my plants

2 Likes

I hear ya. That’s just what I see used as a cheap alternative.

1 Like

Ehh 10 bucks is pretty cheap and its designed for plants, considering how little i will need, like 1 or 2 ML 8oz will last a long long long time and I know its MADE for plants at least lol

1 Like

Believe it or not, Dishwashing Soap (I use “Dawn”) plus Vegetable Oil in Water is the basic of DIY Insecticidal Soap. Dishwashing is fine to use on Plants AND Flowers. When you “wash” your harvested Cannabis, that’s one of the recommended Steps. Fear not, SS/BW…mister :honeybee: :100: :pray: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes

hmm cool, I never wash my buds but good to know.

Perhaps I’m reading the thrust of this thread incorrectly, but I read the real question as being about surfacants, not herbicides, etc.

Generally speaking, does anyone here use any kind of surfacant? And to be clear, what I’m asking about is NOT something you would spray on your plants. What I’m talking about is something to break the surface tension when one waters (dry soil) and the water pools on top of the soil rather than being readily absorbed (as it would if the soil was moist).

Thank you. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

A drop of dawn is an exponential level safer than STS, and I wouldn’t worry about adding it to the STS spray. … the STS is toxic and will make the sprayed plants too toxic to use

5 Likes

INDEED, I do hope no one is consuming ANY part of a plant sprayed with STS. Surfactants are any “Wetting Agents” used to allow sprayed items to adhere to the surface. SS/BW…mister :honeybee: :100: :pray: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

5 Likes

Haven’t used that vendor per se, but yes. Non-ionic surfactants act as sticker/spreaders. Non-ionic being the more plant safe type. Anionic and cationic can act sort of like a soap and may strip the waxy coating off the leaves over time.

Use this for broadcast spreading of liquids when seeking even coverage across leaves. It changes the surface energy and reduces the contact angle of liquids (the beading) and is needed in particular for the very waxy/hydrophobic types of plants.

I don’t really use it unless treating a large area or if the TDS specifically encourages the use of surfactants. It can also be useful for hydrophobic soil to minimize channeling.

edit: not with STS though.

6 Likes

But you’ll put some unknown chemical surfactant on trying to save a few bucks…?

$15 for quillaja, pretty sure he does free shipping on everything if you have an account

3 Likes

I’ve used STS several times without a surfactant. Never an issue. In fact, I have a big jar in my fridge that is perfectly fine and previously held one in the fridge for 2 years without any “beading up”

No need in my experience

3 Likes

well yes, because it is at least a chemical designed to put on plants whereas dish soap is designed to clean dishes lol

Oh that is a given any plant sprayed with STS is ONLY used for making pollen or seeds and then pitched! I dont even compost them if they have been sprayed!

2 Likes