Anyone get those Christmas Tree Bud preservations from Useful Seeds?

Can’t remember the year…87 or somethin?

3 Likes

'79
:grinning:

3 Likes

Yep. Its on the short list of things to do.

3 Likes

I have one that just started day 21 in flower.

14 Likes

I got f1’s from NDN

6 Likes

Forgive the ignorance, but how much selection did NDN do on these Afghanis? I figured it would be a IBL right off the bat…

I’m not sure most likely an open pollination.
These were made years ago

4 Likes

I figured when you said F1 they were the first shared by him. Cool makes sense. Thanks @OleReynard

1 Like

You’re telling me that’s Christmas Bud?

Mine looked nothing like that, or crosses thereof. It was the shortest squattest Afghani line I’ve ever seen and even the crosses weren’t nearly that tall/lanky.

4 Likes

Have not ran any as yet, dont even know when I’ll get to these.
Just like the BSHW beans I got from him.

3 Likes

Yes. I’m not trying to convince anyone.

I’m just saying one of us doesn’t have Christmas Bud. I crossed it to a haze and those weren’t even close to that tall/lanky.

1 Like

I haven’t heard of that strain in years. We always called it that because it was fresh. Pulled in November and dried ready for Santa. Didn’t know it was a real strain. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

I can tell you what it isn’t. It is not Gainesville Green, Tallahassee Two Toke or Micanopy Moonbeam. Some of us have memories of those strains. Suggestions of '79 Christmas Bud and Pine Tar Kush holding some genes of the above led to a couple of different packs of '79 Christmas Bud seeds. I can tell you that the buds have a very piney scent and they tend to have a chartreuse color when finished.

4 Likes

Micanopy Madness was the name I heard. Haven’t seen any of these since the '70’s or heard anyone call these names in 30 years at least.

And Christmas tree was pretty much all over north Florida. And what of Orange Blossom Trail? I know some of the best I ever smoked was homegrown out of Cocoa Beach back in the early '70’s

3 Likes

Here’s a picture of Christmas Bud from NDNguy from 2014-2015 by a different grower. This is what I have. It’s incredibly inbred, incredibly squat, low vigor, zero internodal distance. If it wasn’t so inbred I’d be inclined to think they could be the same line, but it is.

It’s possible there’s another Christmas Bud since it was kind of a generic term for a lot of the country for good outdoor that would start circulating in winter, but whatever you got looks far closer to OG Kush than Christmas Bud.

I’ve grown crosses of Christmas Bud, one from another grower and one I made and again they looked nothing like yours. Is that an outlier plant or do they all look like that? ALL the Christmas Bud plants I grew were identical in growth pattern/structure.

4 Likes

@Mindriot and I assisted Useful on the recent 79 Christmas Tree Bud preservation seed increase. Mine were all very short, squat slow veggers. They did pick up a little in flower ending up with dense pine/Christmas wreath smelling buds. Most finished in the 8 week range with one going 10.

5 Likes

I’m so devastated I missed these before they ran out. If anyone wants to do trades for those squat little bushes, I’m keen can do Aussie strains like duckfoot :wink:

I used to hear from American students that the Xmas bud was the absolutely bomb diggity. Following for interest.

2 Likes

looks ill @vernal :smiley: I think the plant has forgotten the vertical dimension

1 Like