Anyone know their LED Drivers? Looking for options

I’m looking at these two meanwell drivers: HLG-600h-54AB, and HLG-480h-54AB.

Features I’d want; constant voltage, adjustable voltage (these both have the ability to increase the voltage some - around 57V IIRC, adjustable current if possible as well, external dimming (same options as meanwell HLGs) - specifically dim-to-off (0%) ability, same or better quality as meanwell brand.

I’m just putting this out in case there are a couple people who really know their stuff (I know there are) and have driver/power supply datasheet info and models floating around their heads all the time, or at the moment.

It’s mainly for quantum boards, the extra voltage is for the possibility of diablo board requirements.

Thanks. Please excuse the lazy post.

4 Likes

Another idea to consider, depending on what you are powering…

These drivers are priced by the watt, what that means is you can get 2 units of half the power for the same price (or less).
I saved 15 bucks using a pair of 320 watt units instead of the 600 I was looking at originally (and possibly gained 40 watts).

Cheers
G

6 Likes

Hey.

None of the 320w meanwell drivers have the right combo of features. The AB model doesn’t have dim-to-off, nor does it have a Vo potentiometer (voltage adjust) with a range up to around 56-58v. The A model doesn’t have external dimming leads. The B model doesn’t have the Vo pot.
I have a pair of like new 320h-54A I’d like to sell, actually.

I’m open to other brands (inventronics, optotronics, whatever).

Thanks for your input.

1 Like

I would imagine @Baudelaire would be of great help here.

SolStrip lamps run on 24v circuits, so we use a different Mean Well driver line-up than the quantum board folks. But whether 24 or 54 volt versions, the HLG-600H-xxAB is their premium featured high-power driver. I don’t know of another model that replicates the 600H line in feature suite.

Inventronics seems to focus on dedicated voltage/current designs, and distribution to retail is limited within North America at least, so even if you find a model that works for you, you may not be able to buy it short of ordering a few dozen.

All those on-board features on the HLG-600Hs are nice to have, but if you plan on running more than a handful of drivers, an off-board central controller running dedicated CV/CC drivers (like Inventronics) is usually the best way to go, cost and operation-wise.

4 Likes

I don’t think I’ve heard of this before. Unless you mean the control software used to “set” or “configure” some drivers (like inventronics has). Cool.
I probably would max out at 2000-2200 watts max of led lighting in the 10x10 room. That’s primarily because of heat or “cooling concerns”.

Thanks.

1 Like

Thanks for that useful tip Gpaw A handy piece of information to keep in mind

1 Like

You can do some cool stuff with two drivers.

Of course, this idea came after I finished my light (20 strips) but if you assign one driver for 10 strips of 3000K and the other for 10 strips of 5000K you can shift the spectrum between flower and veg.

You also have the option of dimming the drivers together or independently.

Cheers
G

2 Likes

Photon Solutions offers a 3-row, 144 diode 80w LED strip, the X3-4030R2, with two separate circuits for just this type of variable spectral and intensity control.

Two rows of Samsung 301B top bins in 4000K for veg, and a center row of 3000K 301B chips with two Osram deep red 660nm and one Osram far red 730nm chips for flower. Run the 4000K circuit solo during the veg cycle, then add the 3000K far red-enhanced circuit to it during bloom. Add dimming and the potential blended spectrum configurations are endless.

Comes with fitted heatsinks and pre-cut racks if needed. A little more trouble than a single-circuit design but not much more, and we’ve designed the strips to make it easy and clean to wire such a system. Send me DM here or at solstrip.com if anyone has any questions.

4 Likes

I’ve got one here for sale but I reckon sending over seas would cost as much as buying it from me.

it’s heavy af. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I wonder if this site is “legit” https://www.chip1stop.com/CAN/en/view/searchResUpt/InventryInfo?unqPartId=MWE1*0008897&unqPartNm=HLG-600H-54AB&partId=MWE1-0013687&keyword=HLG-600H-54AB

1 Like

I haven’t run across them before but I think so…

{Google search}
Chip One Stop, Inc., a wholly-owned subsidiary company running independently under Arrow Electronics, Inc. (NYSE: ARW) , is Japan’s leading online distributor of electronic components and semiconductors .

I think Arrow would shut them down pretty fast if they weren’t legit.

Cheers
G

2 Likes