Anyone running 12/12 from seed?

consider being so small they can only accumulate so much, also a plant that gets to veg longer will always be bigger than one that doesn’t when all factors are equal.

4 Likes

I’ll do 12/12 from clone if I think the plant is gonna absolutely take over. I’ve had clones flowered take up half a tent if they’re long flowering enough.

Try growing haze with long veg times you’ll feel like Little Shop of Horrors.

8 Likes

I like to start stretchy sativas on 12/12 a day or so after they break soil. I also keep them in smaller containers, attempting to control sprawl.
I cannot find some pics I have of 12/12 plants from seed.

Here are some clones put under 24/0, which I then put into 12/12 as soon as they rooted.

14 Likes

@MumenRyder I like your 2-3 weeks of veg hybrid idea. I notice plants started on 12/12 are generally showing sex around day 24 almost like an auto so I think a short veg can go a long way to improve yields until you find those perfect 12/12 plants that you want to run again and again.

8 Likes

I think there is maybe a place for both but the results will be different.

The 12/12 from seed plants I’ve seen seem to focus on a main kola and don’t branch much at all.

I am running 4 c99s right now with 25 days veg and all of them are branchy, as most my 3 week veg plants are.

Contrast that with the photos of plants that are 12/12 from seed and the result is pretty different even with about 3 weeks veg. The 12/12 plants vary in height but most of them produce almost no branches.

I don’t know if that’s true, but I think I will try it next time and see…

6 Likes

Sorry took me a bit to get a photo for you:

Here is the NL x Grape Krush… no idea how many days now… maybe 70-80? Just has to ripen a bit over the next few weeks and it will be done. I’m happy with how it turned out and will start doing something similar going forward:

There’s a few little larfy buds at the bottom but in general very little waste.

I think it’s a great way to go through a bunch of seeds to determine what is a keeper (or pollinate for another generation).

10 Likes

Years ago I ran a perpetual where I flowered in a 2x4x5’ tent, all 12/12 from seed/clone. Three batches of eight plants, all in 2L Coke bottles. I “repurposed” a few eight bottle carriers from a local convenience store so that each batch of plants could be moved around within a single tray.

I don’t remember the strain, but it was a quick finisher (9 weeks), so every three weeks I was harvesting eight plants, and at the same time, eight new ones went in.

15 Likes

That is freak’n brilliant!!
What mods did you make the bottles and how hard is it to ‘snag’ the carriers?

Cheers
G

5 Likes

The carriers were easy to lift. I lived in Calgary at the time, and the convenience store a few blocks away typically had a stack of them outside, at the side of the store for pickup by the Coke delivery driver. They were outside the view of the store windows and cameras, so I just calmly grabbed a bunch of them. If I recall right, I had walked to the store and didn’t drive, so I just hauled them all the way home. All you have to do is keep your eyes open. Often they’ll be left out back of a store.

For the bottles, I simply cut them with a razor utility knife at the bottom of the curved part of the bottle (about 1/4 of the way down the bottle). I then drilled or simply cut drain holes, and then spray painted the containers blue or black so they weren’t see-through.

I used several mediums. Pure perlite, pure hydroton, Promix peat, and even a couple of soil I think. I also mixed various mediums together for some of them.

Nowadays I prefer much larger plants, so essentially less of them at any time. I went from 24 plants in a 2x4x5’ tent to today, where I have two 4x4x7’ flowering tents, and have only four plants at any time in each one. I now veg for eight weeks (some strains a couple of weeks less than that due to how huge they get).

5 Likes

Note that when I say I spray painted them, the paint was applied to the outside of the bottle, not the inside. I didn’t want to risk the dried paint somehow contaminating the medium in any way.

I was sizing up 4" sqr plastic pots and matching trays as potential equipment for pheno hunts. And you have damned near the same sized containers WITH matching trays!

I’m impressed! :hugs:

2 Likes

It was damn convenient to have bottles match the trays specifically. They didn’t just sit in there and rock around. They fit with just enough snugness that it ensured they were all secure.

Looking back at it, the whole setup would have been perfect for pheno hunting for sure!

3 Likes

Not too sure what happened there! My post deleted on accident. That panama would have been a beast had you not done the 12/12! I have wanted to try this with Dr. Grinspoon, but it’s supposed to be a low yield and long flowerer. Maybe some day :wink:

2 Likes

Interesting concept! Do you have a ballpark for the yield on each plant/batch?

1 Like

It was a long time ago so I can’t remember exactly, but eight ounces from a batch comes to mind.

2 Likes

For expediting “breeding” generations 12/12 from seed is great, and I always end up with enough (too much) smoke even if the yields are considerably lower.

I don’t use 12/12 from seed exclusively, but if all I was doing is growing some sensi to smoke it would work out just fine for me.

7 Likes

Hey I know this has nothing to do with the thread but I see you on here all the time and I know that you’re a little bit more of than experienced grower how do you grow more dense solid buds I’ve been getting somewhat Airy buds

2 Likes

ReikoX will have more to add on maximizing density, but it is important to keep in mind that genetics plays a huge role. Some strains are just way more airy than others, and even different phenotypes of a single strain can show substantial differences in bud density under identical growing conditions.

5 Likes

That’s exactly what was going to say, genetics. Next important factor is nutrition, followed by environment, and last lighting.

4 Likes

I’ve done it from seed to sex then reveg them and have never had problems…

2 Likes