Autoflower seedlings and dumb mistake

No limes in the house!

So couple things, what comes out and is measured isn’t an accurate indication of whats going on in your root zone it is a clue though, second your using organic nutrients in coco which you then should treat like soil at this point so consider pH neutral tap water, also if your tap water is relatively low EC wise it doesn’t take much soil/plant/nutrients/ph adjustment to change said initial pH maybe to the point you wont need too.

As for citric acid it works but degrades quickly also trying to chase an “ideal” pH typically causes more problems than it may fixes so if the plants are looking fine apart from previous issues just leave them otherwise especially at this point your just gonna be chasing your tail.

2 Likes

@Mr.Sparkle, thanks! My measurements are what is going in, not any runoff. I found a EC meter I forgot about and measured the dechlorinated tap water I’ve been using and it was 130. I’m not sure how accurate the EC meter is, it is a cheapie. As far as ph for watering, you’d recommend neutral (7pH), is there any harm in giving 6.0-6.5pH water with my current setup?

New photos from today (Friday), the yellowing is better, but still not any new growth. How long should I wait before throwing in the towel with these? I’ve read that a lot of root development happens in the first few weeks and not a lot of growth, but this seems far too little. Or at least less than I was expecting. And the misshapen smaller set of true leaves. They popped two weeks ago this Sunday.

I did order some ph down, I’d rather have it and not need it than the reverse. I’m glad I’m figuring this out with freebie seeds. :slight_smile:

As sparkle said, PH6 is for pure coco and it’s not your case. Your blend have not the levels of PH buffers of a pure soil, but you still have more margin and you need less acidity. KH is higher just by the organic activity, but your PH meter will never tell you. You can only qualify the timing of the margin yourself to guess it (testers exist for fish hobbyists, if any) : if your PH start at 6 the morning and is at 8 the evening, you known that you have no buffers at all and that you’re water isn’t helping. Just an example.

To be fair : i grow PH free in coco and soil since a while.

Your seedlings are in the state of one week development (from sow). That’s my maximum tolerance before i’m doing something radical. You have a start of a little chlorosis on both, totally freezed development and your soil doesn’t appear to dry in surface since near a week. Time for action buddy, the card is played already ^^

You’re right, seedlings on big volumes have the tendency to pass their time to build root mass. But when they’re doing it, they become a lot thicker from one week to another. The trunk’s diameter don’t show this activity, they are not even “pealed” by the first change of diameter and very first production of fiber. And it’s “auto”(sic), fiber stay a priority even in hybrid form.

1 Like

Thank you @Mr.Sparkle & @Fuel.

I have pulled the troubled seedlings and planted some new beans this weekend. Hopefully these will fare better than the last. But at least I’m learning more about the process!

2 Likes

Way too cold. Soil temp is probably 65 or less as the coco in fabric pot swamp cools.
Soil temp should be 75 for seedlings ideally.

Coco organic is one of the easiest to grow. You don’t overfeed organics but you can bog down the media with too much ferts robbing oxygen and swinging ph.
Coco should be flushed and then drenched with low ppm nutes and cal mag to be prepped.
Autos suck and you’ll find out why.

Dont do anything here. You’ll just waste time and create a mess.
These ideas are old hold overs from the poor days and guerilla growing outside.

Coco goes with organic perfectly especially a clean organic fert like dr. Earth. Semi organic with amino cheated ferts like megacrop would get u best of both worlds.
Just cleansed coco and reading directions on tbe dr earth bag plus proper soil temp and vpd will yield you time saved and heavily oxygenated media not prone to rotting and bugs like “organic soil.”

Here’s another grow with coco.

Those are on HEAT MATS until March!

This time they were 3 gals lifted in air with spacers so I can keep the media cooler, more oxygenated and allow some small run off.
I flowered plants in 5 gal coco with no drain to waste sitting in pool of water (temporarily) with no issues because of organics and mircrobes.
It’s the microbes that create a network and make EC when contacting roots. They even make PGRs and signal other shit.
That wont work well below 70F when starting.

Sure it does, salt build up doesn’t care what media it’s in and if something is out of wack or way to hot of soil then it can def help

I use 25% coco in my soil builds instead of using peat, absorbs water faster without the hydrophobic properties of peat and achieves great water retention since coco holds 8 times it’s weight in water. Then u take the pH factor with peat swinging all the way down to 5.0 in some cases whereas coir is neutral around 7. Coco most certainly does belong in soil organics

This is my same problem being in a rural area as well and my solution was to build my own with what’s available, sadly the stores will carry the ingredients to a good soil mix but sells the complete stuff with way to much wood chips and slow release fert beads which is just bad news for cannabis growing.

Feel free to check out this thread of my simple build that I’m still using that recipe and recycle my soil on my grows and has helped out many other growers on here to save money without sacrificing quality, I accompany that soil build with regular compost tea feedings and can hook ya up with some recipes there too if u feel like getting an air pump and a compost tea bag

1 Like

Too bad it double in price because you can use 90% in organic grow perfectly fine.

If your using that much then it’s not considered “soil mix” anymore, it’s soilless, in organics it should only serve the purpose of water retention in your soil mix as it doesn’t have anything that’s gonna feed ur plants

1. So what what it’s called? It’s coco coir from coconut hairs…right?

2. Then how are people running full coco organic many vids in youtube and i somehow did it too.
    Oh it recycles and flushes easily :slight_smile:
    Much better than soil with organic, semi organic, or synthetic if phed right.
    It’s more expensive even as a block now and needs to be flushed

Because those people are doing synthetic salts feedings aka part a veg part b bloom, jacks 321 ect. That’s a soilless nutes program. I’ve never seen a grow that was 100% Coco coir that sustained a plant without some nutrient solution added, there’s literally nothing for the plant to feed on in coir so where’s the npk coming from? That’s not organics if completely coco with bottle nutes

images (12)

If you say so. I saw your results.

Op, trust but verify. You can see their results here or ask them.
Anywho, here’s an example of how it’s done:

Once you understand how microbes, roots, moisture n organics work it comes together.
I advise you get a meat thermometer it stainless with glass n stick in a pot n leave it.
Keep your coco but prep it right.
Good luck

U say that like it’s a bad thing, what’s wrong with my results?

Did I not stuff my rooms good enough?
Are my plants yellow as f*&$?

Results DO speak for themselves

As I proved already but here’s further proof…

Boom nutrient solutions

What’s wrong with dry amended organic ferts?
Not everyone wants to flower in oxygen starved soil n rotting scraps. There’s better ways now.

Lmao! I’m good on feeding the troll with this one. That’s far from my methods, take care bud