Autos Done Carty's Way

Hey All… I’ve been asked if I can start a tutorial on growing Auto’s…

I tend to do things my own way after almost 10yrs of Auto experience… I break the rules as I discovered what works for me in this wonderful world of the
Auto Flowering Plant…

This grow I’ll be showing you everything I do including breeding to preserve my own Gabagoo strain …

Strains:
6 - Gabagoo F3 Auto Reg’s…
4 - Blue Vangoo F2 Auto Reg’s
2 - Mephisto’s Sour Stomper

Foods:
Advanced Nutrients 3 part
Silica
Calmag

Soil:
Foxfarms Strawberry Fields

Lights:
HLUX 40w x 3 for vegging
Mars Hydro TSW-2000

Pots
Veg in 1gal plastic Orchid Pots
Flower in 3gal felt pots, up pot after sex shows.

And luckily, this grow and preservation has just begun… so lets’ get started.

First trick I want to cover is settling in your soil. many do not consider this or even think about it. but it totally makes sense…

Fill your 1gal pots halfway up with soil… water in with 2cups of filtered water, NO foods… slight run off if any is perfect…
What this does is settle your soil without pushing down on it compacting it to much… add the remaining soil to top off the pot and water in with a cup…

Make 1" holes into the medium, I use a straw. Drop germinated seed into the hole and push some dirt on top of it… and I then use an eye dropper to seat it.

Now, you ask, why do I do all this crazy stuff… because I’m anal. but here’s why…

If you do not settle your soil in, and place the seedling in the soil and then water, the seedling can actually sink into the medium as it settles itself drawing it down to far and possible gets lost completely or, germinates upside down…

Let’s take a peek at all this:
Drop into filtered water until they sink…and stay down. these took 8hrs.

Germinate part 2… into damp paper towels and into a baggie for 2days.

After prepping the soil,

into the pot they go.

24hrs later
BV 2

55 Likes

Sounds great! Looking forward to watching the auto grow show. Thank you for sharing.

19 Likes

Pulling up Chair. This will be very informative for me.

5 Likes

I love autos every here and there. This should be fun… hey 420! Gotta go, BTW many people here could use this write up. People always have questions on autos.

Paws

6 Likes

Going to track this. I have been doing autos in DWC. Interested to see what wisdom I can adopt.

7 Likes

I enjoy watching work with autos.

3 Likes

Hola Carty

am pulling up a chair

Love your stuff

Bare

5 Likes

Following for sure!

4 Likes

Definitely pulling up a chair for this one!

Love those mephisto plant tags!

What’s the Gabagoo exactly?

4 Likes

Gotta love just doing things your own way, excited to see how things turn out :v:

4 Likes

Wow… I must say, I did not expect this kind of response, but it’s good to know my hard work is appreciated. So I’ll do my best to share all I do.

Dr Gonzo… remove your 2 lowest shade leaf now ok… your plant is doing well, can’t wait to see her mature to budding… them old phototron machines offer no top light, but man she sure fills out nicely…

Babies, gotta love babies…
Sour Stomper, only ones to not show yet and ya know why… I dropped these seeds in late, and they went directly from freezer to the dirt… please DO NOT try this, it’s not easy. Constantly checking the moisture, using an eye dropper to keep the seeds moist so they germinate… for now, they just wanted to say hi

Blue Vangoo F2 - 2 for 2 and all 4 germinated just fine in a few days

Gabagoo F3 from 2015 stock… 6 for 6 with just one needing help deshelling…

The poor baby who needed help getting her shell off, it was old stock and refused to crack all the way open. I use a magnifying glass and fingers…
few days she’ll look the same as the others…

#2 plant is usually one I have very good luck with, lets see if my trend continues eh?

These 2 pots are double potted, it’s a not enough room thingy and this way I can cull the males I don’t want to use for breeding… and who knows, maybe the 2 breeders will be in the same pot… LOL…

You could feel the pots are still very heavy meaning they don’t need any water… but from pushing up thru the soil I like to seat them one last time by using an eye dropper to slightly moisten the soil surrounding the baby plants… anymore water then this would be over watering…

The seedlings that have not shown yet must NOT dry out while germinating in the soil… so a few droppers of water to keep the soil wet does just that… and again, avoid hand watering as it tends to push the seedling down deeper.

10 Likes

So, ya wanna know how I created the Gabagoo, and maybe even the Blue Vangoo eh? well, let’s chat.

My first Auto was gifted to me by a good buddy, BigSur51…
Weird part is, all of them arrived crushed except 3 little seedlings… and you can see where they stamped the crap out of a bubble wrap envelope, a no no…grrr
so, I planted the 3 Sour60 Seeds and wound up with a male and 2 females…
Talk about great luck…
Gabagoo S1
I decided to work with a Lemony pheno and chose this male out of the next run of F2 stock… I know he’s short but it was his aroma and structure that made me choose him…
![Male lemon Gabagoo|235x327] (upload://eoOvVAabC9i4R9IV06TwWv11Qtu.jpeg)
And the female, also with lemon terps coming in nicely…
Lemon Gabagoo #4

Gabagoo = Sour60 grown out and breed to itself, sour60 x sour60 Lemon pheno… I then hit it with Sour Bubble x Blue Streak F3 pollen by hand painting it… this controls how many seeds are made for testers…

Agoo tester is Sour60 x Blue Streak F3, eventually using this to help create Gabagoo… The Sour60 was short but one of the stickiest plants I’ve ever seen…

Agoo test nug, oh yeah baby, she’s worthy

Eventually becoming this… Gabagoo…

Gabagoo F2

Blue Vangoo is a beast of a plant…
(W.C. OG x Cash Crop fem) x {Kush Van Stitch male)

Old Notes:
7 diff females of the Kush Van Stitch, so we’ll probably test potency before deciding which ones to keep working forward…
(Sour60 x Sour60)
F2’s to keep this awesome strain around…
( Lemon Drop x Sour60 )
Experimental strain by me
( 515 x Sour60 )
West Coast OG Kush x Cash Crop, x Sour60… this cross could be something
magical… only time will tell…

More notes
8 - Kush Van Stitch reg autos from Flash Seeds made by grower Stitch… dropping all 8 in search of 2 special males for pollen donors.
kush Van Stitch
2 - Lemon Haze x Sour Bubble… only 2 seeds I have left of this recent cross and this one is a keeper…
4 - W.C. OG Kush x Cash Crop fem’d… (aka 515). new to me, fem’d and want to keep it to test further…

West Coast OG Kush x Cash Crop x Kush Van Stitch, a very big nice auto…

My friends have grown her out more then I have so I"m looking forward to this.

16 Likes

Very cool how you chose the parents after losing so much to USPS.
A lot of their success I am sure has to do with your method. Were gonna follow your lead with our next batch of autos.

4 Likes

Your close already starting in 1gal nursery pots… plastic pots allow the larger roots to establish 1st, giving the plant a good foot hold…
Figured this on accident starting 15 plants to sex and lose over half to males and selection… to get 6…lol

6 Likes

I ran into an old friend and it’s brought out the McGyver in me [my old handle]…

I use 3 of these lights for my babies and raising & lowering each 1 sucks… so, I’m making a bamboo frame for them with 1 set of yoyo
Hangers…
Stay tuned

9 Likes

Nice! I remember that guy pretty well could get a good grow rigging pretty much anything together. Was a good name for ya LOL.
What kind of lights are those?
Your Gabagoo and Blue Vangoo look amazing! That lemon pheno sounds mighty tasty brother!

3 Likes

Haha, thanks "old Friend "…
Dese lights are my best secret weapon… SZHLUX
Amazon. I just looked, the 2ft I bought shot up $10.
4ft pair $57. Go check em out… but your setup looks great…

What I need is aluminum angle frame with holes in it like plumber’s tape almost.
But, I had this stuff on hand.

14 Likes

I’ve really enjoyed researching my own strain… had to go back years on a site I knew had it all saved for me and downloaded a few old shots…

And, on another site I’m on. Gabagoo has won Bud of the Month twice by 2 different growers, none of which are me… yeah baby…

So, here is the exact lineage…
AK47 x Sour60 male. I think I kept saying S60 because that was the phenotype I used as the male. Short squat and sticky. I knew the AK would show up in the big F2 search…
Look familiar…
Sour60 and S60 male and another female

Looking forward to this project more and more… here is the first test plant and as you can see the AK is for sure in one of the pheno’s
AK x S60

As is the Sour60 so you truly get the best of both worlds…

15 Likes

The Blue Streak F3 strain was added right away to add flavor…here is a
tester if that strain in female from I found. I flipped these from seed directly into 12/12 to test the strains terps only…
Blue streak f3 tester

11 Likes

Oh wow! Thank you very much for all the pics and history on your strain!
Sounds like this is gonna be exciting to watch! Glad I got a seat early ^^

5 Likes