Autos Done Carty's Way

For sure knowing harvest times is a must huh? I try to stay with hybrids that lean towards indica so they finish within 70 days.

Biggest reason Autos is the way to go too eh? seed to weed in 70 days…

The 7 I just started are all different so they’ll finish up to a week apart.

5 Likes

Man, I keep seeing grow reports with dudes going over 100 days on the grow. 12 weeks (94 days) is sort of the upper-end on what I will grow, though I know that outdoors they will probably go long since the night cycle will be a lot longer.

I guess this is the part that confuses me. I mean, I keep reading that autos finish out after x number of days no matter what and then I see guys growing an auto for huge tracts of time.

It makes me wonder if light hours matter. Like, if you are running on 20-4 schedule, after 70 days you have 1400 hours of light. If you are running on a 6 hour night schedule, you would have to go about a week longer to arrive at the same amount of light energy.

I come from the peony world and it is accepted knowledge that peonies require 400 hours with temperatures at 40 degrees or less or they will not bloom reliably. People in Florida and SoCal have a lot of trouble with peonies and blooms. Anyhow, it is just a thought.

1 Like

Couple things some seed companies seed fast flowering or semi autos as autos as well. I also believe nothing the breeders say about auto flower times I take as a suggestion. Had some companies say seed to harvest 65 days but I don’t think I’ve had one under 70 ever. Autos are usually photo strains bred into stock auto so there can be a decent amount of variation on times. In a 5 pack of samsquanch og autos and had a 4 wk harvest difference between first and last harvested. Those are looking amazing @carty ! I think a few of your next auto run came through the desert before the tropics :rofl:.

2 Likes

This is good to know, thanks for sharing. I guess it sorta works out like phenotypes

2 Likes

Hey Guys… you want an auto that finishes in 65 days, pick up my Gabagoo F4.
The Sour60 side of her finishes in 60 days, but, is a shorter squat fat butted stickiness from hell… muwhahaha… won bud of the month twice and neither grow was from me…

Autos can vary a lot in finish times and I tell most people 70 days.

However, these are either Indica or Indica dominant hybrids… but, you get yourself a hybrid that is 70% Sativa of course your plants may take 12 weeks instead of 9-10…

Seed companies know people mostly want fast finish times. we are a spoiled generation of microwave popcorn I want my ooompa loompa now folks with no patience… hehe. their finish times are usually quoting hydro and the faster phenotype… not usually the one I look for btw.

Want a fine example too…
I just recently cut down my Green Punch strain I cut at day 66 and a strain by the same breeder, their Maestro plant still needing 10-14 days at today’s week 10…

Maestro day #74

Remember peeps… these are autos. Light schedule be it indoor or outdoor will not affect when or how these plants flower… they just flower according to their life schedule, nothing else…

I just ran my last 2 grows from start to finish under 14/10 to prove just that…

My recommended light schedule to all Auto growers is…

Veg: 20/4 or 18/6 all depending on $ for that power bill mostly… but please do not grow them under 24/0 thinking more light is better. These plants all need a dark cycle to create oils n such…

Flowering: 12/12 for 2wks… this is a hidden secret I’ve done for years… IMHO what it does is awakens the photo period that lies dormant within all Autos and allows the plant to stretch more then normal…

18/6 flowering for the remainder and again, if your power bill is to high it’s ok to reduce your lighting like I have successfully…

Today I took one of the Muchacho F7 plants and placed it into the bathroom to get the weird window lighting and within 2 hrs she was leaning towards the light so I rotate her 180 degrees and 2hrs later hat done it again… I rotate my 3 autos out and do this 2-3 days to each from time to time and they just love it…

Muchacho F7 fems

15 Likes

Following how a few others do Autos I decided to try a technique where you bend a young plant over and stake it down, so I did so using a bread tie off my recent coffee purchase…

I modify it so it goes into the soil easier and put a nice bend into it you’ll see why…

I removed the cotyledon leaf’s (round leaf) and the single bladed leaf directly above those… should promote healthy fast upward growth…

4 Likes

I have run a photo and auto together on 12/12 and didn’t notice any major difference in bud size in the auto…

Will do this on my next…thanks much :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Yeah, done that so many times… wanting to run photos and it’s just easier then worrying about light leaks with 2 tents… so I’d run them all on 12/12. The Autos killed it too… GDP. I’ve also done photos from seed on 12/12. wanna hear something funny dude. They grow like Autos then. they veg for about a month and then begin to flower, hmmm? and I guess the biggest difference is, Autos only have another 40-50 days from this point, where the photos will take another 70-80 days… plant size, photos put on more weight, but not much… potency, no difference. My Gabagoo is as potent as any photo…

It does make it fun to be able to grow both though, plus, 12/12 lighting is much cheaper then 20/4… hehe

5 Likes

Flushed the Maestro plant again tonight, water coming out fairly clear now so she should fade faster now… time to start giving her more darkness see if I can’t get her to create more resin and oils… last checked she was full on milky so maybe a week…

18 Likes

Damn that looks chunky af even showing just the top.

1 Like

glad to hear that about the Gabagoo f4 i am still waiting for these seeds to arrive from @JohnnyPotseed i scored some of those on his 420 sale that is still running. they should be here soon i think? i know he has been busy. thanks for the creation! and info.

1 Like

Yeah, I imagine JPS sitting at home with a sh*tload of orders all piled up, little baggies everywhere, rubber washers bouncing off the floor… crap, was that a seed… pinka pinka clink… yup… spends an hour looking for it only to realize it was a big sesame seeds off his sammich… so yeah, he may be a wee bit backed up.
HA HA HA… sorry brother Pot Seed… little joking at your expense bro.

Nah, you’ll get them soon I’m sure, he’s real good about it.

2 Likes

Well, I did it yet again. chopped a plant before taking photos…

Maestro fem plant comes down at day #81…a real beauty that stinks of berries.

16 Likes

Update time…

Maestro F7 came down few days ago at Day #80… she was ambering up and I don’t like them to go full amber for knockout smoke… lol.

Leaving plenty of room to allow the LST work to really take hold…

Plant A

Plant B

10 Likes

Carty’s Eclipse grow… these all sprouted during the eclipse sooo. thus the name of the grow… haha. yeah, I’m easy to keep amused.

If you recall, this is the run I’m attempting my first SOG grow using 6 fem’d Autos and removing all branching… lollipop style. Not sure I can leave them in the 1gal pots like planned, rethinking it to 2gal felt… hmm?

Day #13, I have just topped off the soil to support the stems, always leave room for this at week 2… and, next watering I remove the cotyledon leaf’s and the single blade above them and any growth other then main top… let the SOG begin…

Alien God really has my attention…

Bromar is a week behind the others but playing catch up just fine… LDA seeds

18 Likes

Tonight I removed all their Cotyledon leaf’s and all growth up to main top…

Oh lolli lollipop da da dun dun.

3 Likes

I reckon it’s past due time for an update, been 2wks, not like me… usually I have a hard time going a week.

15 Likes

I have a friend Jan who has just fallen in love with my genetics. She is one of my testers and is running my Beast Mode F1’s with just excellent results…

Her Gabagoo is finishing up and looks just as great.

Gabagoo Purps

16 Likes

Of all the 6 fem’d Autos I’m currently running this Alien God really has caught my eye… I guess this would be a great way to test te

Alien God my favy

13 Likes

Are those 3 or 5 gal fabric pots do you know?

1 Like