AMunkFromCupertino Grows Outside 2024

Year 5 of growing in the California sunshine. I’ll try and keep it interesting but fair warning, this is mostly for my reference later :slightly_smiling_face:

We got female autos, we got male autos, we got feminized photos, and regular photos. Add in some STS and Chrysal… a few hummingbirds buzzing your head… and it’s officially a happening.

There’s a few goals this year:

1. Grow out seeds that I made last summer outdoors, a cross of GG4 and Blue Dream, to select a male and female with the best traits to take to F2 seeds
  2. Grow regular auto seeds to pollinate themselves and make more seeds, but also to capture pollen for further auto breeding
  3. Grow a variety of clones I picked up from Bay Area dispensaries and S1 them too
  4. Grow a small amount of select regular strains and hope for males and females to breed or collect pollen from
14 Likes

For the sake of clarity, I should explain that the cross I did of a male Blue Dream and a female Gorilla Glue #4 is what I’ll be referring to as “BluGlu” or “BlueGlue”.

It was these two plants that made ~3500 seeds in 2023. Well, the male did his thing and I got rid of him but his sister Blue Dream that he looked just like is in the pictures.

The GG4 (CSI Humboldt) is the shorter one, with notable nitrogen deficiency on the lower leaves. That lady finished first (but started first, as well). She had a bad case of the caterpillars in bloom. Manually inspected each day to salvage the seeds and keep her happy-ish.

The Blue Dream (Equilibrium Genetics) is the taller one. She got so top heavy that one of the main stalks collapsed in some wind and I had to get a stake and some twine to prop her up for another couple weeks to finish. No issues with heavy feeding and seemed immune to bugs… zero caterpillars.

6 BluGlu Seeds
I started the season off with popping six seeds from last year’s results. I figure I’ll let some get big by growing until first week of August, when they show sex and then select for breeding. I’m also planning on popping more every couple weeks so I get enough to see the variety of phenos. I’ll be thinning at will and it’s likely some will be duds. In fact one of the first six didn’t make above soil and into the 1 gallons.

BluGlu #5 was first up potted

Then the rest

Some basic effort into minimizing the insect/caterpillar issue this year…will get netting on them

The Sour Strawberry and Pineapple Express have been started and are both Feminized Photos from Barney’s.

7 Likes

I decided I better get more seeds going, so I popped a few more.

• Gelato Purple Punch (fem auto)
  • Tony’s Tortured Beans / Adam & Eve GG4 RIL Fast F4 (reg auto)
  • Tangie GAK (fem photo)
  • Crocketts Ice Water (fem photo) a freebie that is mislabeled
  • Blue Dream Bx F2 (reg photo) seed from male/female pollination last year
  • Zkittles Grape Bubble (fem auto)

So, seeing seeds come up and getting my hands in the dirt got me a bit excited. To the dispensary for clones!

I gotta say… so many people told me not to bring the clones outdoors. I get it… they get confused and can flip to flower…then stunted growth for weeks while they get reoriented. I don’t care. I have the time. I just give them natural light, tap water, and good soil… and observe.

• Grapefruit Diesel
  • True OG Kush
  • Astroboy
  • Grandpa’s Gunchest

And we got some progress on other things. I don’t like them but they are functional. Will improve next year if they help with the bugs. Trying to keep it low cost.

I didn’t like the looks of the roots on the True OG clone. The person serving at the store seemed to be having a proper Monday, so I just took her home and figured it would give me an excuse to go back and get more. And this is exactly what happened. I picked up a replacement, and the others I’d wanted originally.

• Mango Lemon Haze
  • Super Silver Haze

8 Likes

GG4 and Blue Dream makes for a powerful cross. Looking forward to watching you grow them out.

3 Likes

Up potted the Gelato PP, Zkittles Grape Bubble, and GG4 (all autos) into their forever home of 1 gallon pots.

BluGlu 1-5 are in the tent.

Surviving sunflowers transplanted. Hope the bunny isn’t around or they won’t last long!

Apples starting to form on the tree!

5 Likes

Great minds think alike… I have to smoke just to get to sleep at night as I’m so excited to see what happens with these :slightly_smiling_face: I aim not to disappoint

2 Likes

Then Equilibrium Genetics started offering clones… so I had to get some new friends for the garden.

• Tropicana Cookies
  • Permanent Marker

Oh look… it’s the other clones doing just fine under the sun. I moved them farther onto the patio so they gradually adjusted to the sun. Minimal issues… some leaf funkiness as they figured out that they aren’t under a T5 fluorescent anymore. The Permanent Marker had the hardest time… basically had to grow new leaves to take the sun in because the initial leaves turned white …even with only a few hours of direct morning sun and the indirect in the shade.

Thanks for the assist @Great_lakes_Genetics

Even the local Oreoz pig I go to see on my walks seems excited about the grow this year

8 Likes

About time to get some other local stuff to grow. I already had sunflowers and tomatoes going but decided to get some bell peppers and these tie-die tomatoes (cause it’s fun). Already have a lemon tree that helps ensure I get diabetes someday, but I wanted a Meyers lemon tree, and also a lime tree. Then I got to talking with a worker at the garden center and they tell me about this Australian lime tree that has prickers and red finger-like limes… sign AMunk up!

It appears I also started more autos at the end of May. Twenty20 was giving away free feminized early/autos so I popped the Honey Glaze.

Seemed like a good time to up pot the BluGlu from 1 gallon to 5 gallon pots. #1 and #5 seemed to have the best structure and vitality but they were all doing good. #5 seems to be the only one that isn’t having the yellowing leaves at the bottom (the mother GG4 attribute). I did give the others blood meal and worm castings… but to no avail.

BluGlu #3 had some funky leaves, like it got sick. Oh well… time to make room, since we got plenty more.:skull_and_crossbones:

Tropicana Cookies doing well

Permanent Marker getting those new leaves that love the sun

The other autos and clones are doing well.

Sunflowers are getting going

7 Likes

Time for more seeds.

• planted Ruderalis
  • started germinating:
    • Twenty20 - El Diablo (fem auto)
    • Twenty20 - Triks (fem auto)
    • Equilibrium Genetics - SoMango (fem)
    • Equilibrium Genetics - Ice Pixie (reg auto)

(Left-to-right) Zkittles Grape Bubble auto, GG4 RIL Fast F4 auto, Gelato Purple Punch auto

Crockett’s Ice Water

Barney’s Sour Strawberry :strawberry:

Crockett’s Tangie GAK (magnesium deficiency possibly - red stems)

Barney’s Pineapple Express

the replacement True OG Kush

GG4 RIL Fast F4 auto turned out to be a male… pollen collecting time

A bee was dead on top of my netting, so I brought it inside to see if there were signs of foul play, but other than the missing left antenna, it appears he went peacefully!

7 Likes

Very nice plants. I will be watching for sure! :rainbow:

2 Likes

Felt like it was time to up pot some of the ladies to 5 gallons

Psychedelic tomatoes coming along

2 days later

Romanian Peppers

GG4 RIL Fast auto… getting ready to throw pollen

A hummingbird checking out the action

That original True OG Kush clone with the bad roots

9 Likes

Thank you!

They keep me around as long as I don’t forget to water them :wink:

Pull up a chair under the awning. Beers in the cooler.

2 Likes

Killer! Love to see fellow Bay Area growers blowing up backyards

4 Likes

Nice, the extra space will boost their growth.

2 Likes

Permanent Marker now completely adjusted to the outdoors

The table is getting full… but red solo cups are sunflowers :sunflower:…some to grow and some to offer to the local rabbit that hides in my bushes and eats greens it can reach. I found it particularly likes sunflowers. I put them in the ground and they are gone the next morning.

GG4 RIL Fast F4 auto (male) making that pollen. I also realized I should have given him more nutrients, as he’s lost some green.

6 Likes

Let’s check in on the plants in the tent… doing well, but we can see that GG4 mother trait of yellow lower leaves coming thru. I hope it’s not associated with higher THC levels cause I’m looking to pick the ones without it! That means #1 would be the only one to stay. We will wait and see their gender in August.

I took the opportunity to manually top all these plants, while they were having a Glamour Shots session :wink: I sweet talked them with some fresh worm castings and bat guano.

Super Silver Haze trying to sprawl. This is the clone from the dispensary that “should not be put outdoors”. It wants the entire backyard to itself…almost the reverse of the cookies strains that are tight and straight… like an Italian Cypress, or something. SSH wants to reach out and touch you. I am very excited about this one… plus I’m growing another one (Equilibrium Genetics version = Super Silver Haze (Mr. Nice) ♀ x Super Silver Haze (Rebel Grown) ♂ ) from seed and want to compare the traits.

7 Likes

I think it’s safe to say the Permanent Marker found her happy place

Tropicana Cookies is healthy but in that paused state as she threw hairs beginning of June

Things are starting to get going. This mostly means I spend more time watering. If I’m being honest, I skew light on nutrients. I like to see that they’ve used up what’s in the soil before I give much other feed. However, the occasional blood meal or worm castings works wonders. I’m going to experiment with Grow More Sea Bloom this September, but probably only for the small 1 gallon pots.

Yeah, speaking of 1 gallons… the Zkittles Grape Bubble auto is starting to bloom. And yeah, I put her next to the GG4 male auto that’s throwing pollen. And then, I collected pollen in a sifter and hit her with it again a week later for good measure. We are getting seeds folks… the question is, how many?

Then I started some early/auto flower plants we will be sure to check on later.
Moroccan Lion = Lion’s Claw :female_sign: x Beldia Moroccan Hashplant :male_sign:
Ice Pixie = Fire Girl :female_sign: x (Reindeer Syrup x Tangie)

Some odds and ends

Psychedelic tomatoes

So …something interesting here. The apple tree has ants. The wood peckers like that. They make holes… we get new branches

9 Likes

Great to see theyre doing so well in the heat!

2 Likes

We get free sun, but have to pay double for the water :joy:

I just found out that the $130 I’m paying every three months for my compost bin to be hauled away, entitles me to free compost for my garden! You just need to bring your own truck and a shovel. Wish I’d known that $300 of Fox Farm ago. Next year!

2 Likes

Gelato Purple Punch fem auto is starting bloom. Made room by the male GG4 auto that’s throwing pollen. Since she’ll need the energy for making seeds, I’ve given 1 cup of worm castings and a half cup of bat guano, and will be feeding weekly with 15ml/gal of Grow More Sea Bloom + 5ml/gal CalMag in tap water. There’s lots of limestone in the soil around here. So much that the nearby stream has a powdery haze to it. So much that a vineyard up the hillside doesn’t use their water lines (they have to have them for insurance reasons), as the winter rain is absorbed by the limestone and slowly released over the remainder of the year! Anyway, I assume the plants aren’t negatively effected by that, but you can see the white remnants on some of the 1 gallon pots in coasters.

Zkittles Grape Bubble fem auto still doing well. I gave her the same treatment (but double the worm castings) and she’s greening up (except for the lowest/oldest leaves). She starts to fill out nicely in the following weeks so this was the right move.

Ice Pixie reg autos and Moroccan Lion reg autos starting to hit their stride. One didn’t make it due to some creature (my guess, a crow) snapping it in half, but I just took it as a sign to reuse that 3 gallon container for a fem photo lady plant, Lemon G Bx = Lemon G :female_sign: x Lemon Lotus :male_sign:

Looking green! Hidden in here with orange tags:

Had to put another BluGlu in the ground. It’s sacrificial and being offered to the local rabbit. If it’s still there in October, I’ll harvest it but it only gets water until then.

Tent #1 is getting more crowded everyday.

One of the sunflowers has multiple heads. I wonder if they will all be the same color…

Romanian Peppers coming along. The wife grew up in a rough city on the east coast and is amazed by seeing flowers turn into things she’s been eating her whole life, but hadn’t been exposed to the life cycle of.

Flowers developing on the other tomato plants. These are either going to be Roma or Cherry, and I will only know once the fruits are developing, because the label fell off and I couldn’t remember which ones I planted where. The others never broke soil. Bummer.

I up potted the citrus plants into 7 gallon pots with coasters. They seem to like that. We’ve got flowers and fruit on both the Meyers and Lime plants… and flowers coming in on that Australian lime plant, with new purple growth.

5 Likes