Auto's on 12/12

Just curious if anyone has grown auto’s under 12/12? I have some regular photoperiod plants in flower but had some freebie cheese cbd seeds so I thew those in as well . Yes I know you are supposed to grow those under 18 to 20hrs but wanted to know what the end result was.

However I was doing this as a bit of an experiment for my own knowledge as well. Would like to see if it effects flowering time or yield more. I’m guessing yield but not certain without trying.

3 Likes

Just harvested an auto that is with a couple photos in a 12/12. It’s definitely possible.

Yield was not that great. This auto was in a 1 gal and basically had a couple weeks of 18/6 from seed then switched to 12/12 for 6 weeks. Dry weight was ~12g. Probably could have done way better.

3 Likes

I’m not really expecting anything, just a bonus cuz I had the room and the seeds. Mine is in about 1/2 gal container as I didnt want to waste the soil. Lol

2 Likes

Yea go for it.

3 Likes

Yeah you’ll get some smoke, probably leafy and airy tho. That was my experience at least.

3 Likes

Second this. Not dense at all. But it’s decent and good for hash.

2 Likes

yep you can just less yield than otherwise

2 Likes

I’ve only grown 3 autos and they went in with my photo period plants. I wasn’t impressed with the yield, flavor, or buzz so I made butter out of them. Probably would have been better with 18 hrs of light, but I only had one grow spot so they got the 12/12 with the others. I’m not a fan of the autos, but maybe with better genetics and the right lighting they would have been better. I topped the first 2 autos once and I think that hurt them. Im Always improving as I’ve only got a few years growing, and learning. Good luck

2 Likes

I did two runs of Charlotte’s Angle, one on 12/12 and the other on 20/4. Plant height and yield was down by about a third on 12/12 but the CBD yield was good.

Cheers
G

1 Like

Yeah you don’t want to top autos they don’t have time to bounce back properly cuts into bud production

3 Likes

Leafy and airy because of the lower daylight hours, or just because they’re autos?

I grew 2 mephisto autos recently and they were both chunky and dank. One (I think 24 carat) was just as dense and potent as most photos and the other was not super dense but acceptably so and also very potent and tasty.

I was super impressed. They’ve come a long way!

3 Likes

I’ve heard that the new autos are much better than older ones and I’ll definitely give them another try from a reputable breeder as that may have been part of the problem also

3 Likes

Mephisto seems to be leading the pack for autos. Check out some of the pics on their subreddit. I ordered 28 seeds during their 4/20 sale and received 20 freebies on top of that. They have a new 1:1 medical offering called CannaCheese that I’m really interested in sampling.

I have some random autos (strains are known, but no breeder info) that are a few days old to break in my new garden. I’m not yet set up to experiment with different lighting times, but perhaps in the future it would be fun to compare 12/12, 18/6, and 24/0.

Anyone care to weigh in on what size container to run autos in? I’m wondering if my new Octopots would be overkill (6 gallons of soil + res) and I should just run them in 3 gallon fabric pots. I hate to clutter up this thread if there is another that is more appropriate for more general autoflower discussion…

4 Likes

@ReikoX thinks the size of my root chamber - 55 gallons - is one reason Ive been getting good yields from autos. I would think that would transfer over to soil just as well. Bigger is better :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Good point. Didnt @ReikoX have a thread about autos - all things auto or somethng?

EDit: this might be a better place for general auto discussion:

4 Likes

Check out this cheese cbd auto grown in 1/2 gal container under 12hrs light. It’s about 6 weeks into flower and looking pretty impressive considering the small containers and only 12hrs of light.

3 Likes

Funny thing is I was only using these beans to dial in my new grow room.

You can probably get away with it with very intense light. Light during summer in the high latitudes like Russia and Central Asia is less intense than say at the equator, so the plants take advantage of the longer days. I’d give them 13-14 hours of intense light, up to 18 if it’s less intense light.

1 Like

Stick to the 3’s from my understanding anything more and you start losing yield cause the plant is still rooting for to long

1 Like

They are in a room with my photoperoid cherries jubilee and blueberry so they wont be getting anymore light than 12hrs but I couldn’t care less about what I get from them as they were just test dummies.

In fact I haven’t been giving them much care , attention or nutrients. Most of the time just 6.5 ph water and maybe 1/2 dose of nutrients every 4 watering.

The light is a spiderfarmer sf 4000 led that’s drawing 450watts from the wall and they have never even been under the light. I just shove them.off to the side lol