Backyard soil rejuvenation project

So let me ask you this… if you had a hundred bucks only to spend on excellent things to add to your composts, what would you buy?

How much of these minerals would I add to a 40 gallon batch of compost?

A batch of compost tea a lot if activity in this bad boy!

5 Likes

Mark my words… I’m gonna get there! An aerator and the whole thing, but first I need to learn how to make great compost. The tumbler is my newest toy, got to learn how to make magic in there. lol

2 Likes

Well we try to keep it as simple as possible I’d add minerals in form or rock dust , maybe kelp would be good as for additional sea minerals one has to think that all the minerals trees pull from the soil all get return to the earth , grasses weeds they all have minerals in them , that’s why they say some weeds are more nutrious than supermarket salads and vegetables compost is wonderful stuff and will take you along way as far as soil health! Everyone should compost IMO!

Couple handfuls should do the trick!

2 Likes

Man, I have considered going to the beach many of times with a bucket and snatching up some seaweed. Just not sure it’s legal. I’d only grab the stuff that already washed up though.

2 Likes

You may need a nominal fee permit! But yes a vid I’v seen by Kaligrownbuds just had been posted recently!

Check some of this guy’s vids on you tube!

2 Likes

I love this! Gonna have to bring my bucket with me when it’s beach weather again. Won’t be long now. lol

2 Likes

Move 13 or so post to your thread to help keep things tidy over in the other thread.

1 Like

Is there a way to dehydrate the seaweed on a home scale? Or could you make a goo or liquid with it to save? Just curious. It is wonderful stuff. I know it’s a weird plant too. Kind of melts in the sun, doesn’t it? I suppose it could be laid out on mats or tarps to dry it.

It’s be cool to have local access to it. It’s everywhere up and down the west coast. I don’t believer the east coast has anything like the kelp or not that I remember. At least not in shore.

Kelp is the shiznit. peace

3 Likes

absolutely! Like any other green’s…blanch -> dehydrate -> grind

Fermenting then freeze in portions or add a stabilizer like veg glycerin :wink:

Yes, it is!

2 Likes

Thank you MOTR! I lived on the Puget Sound in Washington long ago. Then on the Hood Canal. Lots of seaweed. I’d love to go back there someday. Maybe I could go bring a load of seaweed back, lol.

2 Likes

No problem!

Me too! When I 1st landed there, I was on Pearl street ~6 blocks from Pt Defiance then migrated to Enumclaw for a couple yrs and found myself in Steilacoom just before coming back home to Ak though I will never forget Enumclaw…absolutely loved the whole area! Seward reminds me alot of that area

2 Likes

The guy on the above video said get 20 gallons of kelp in a trash can with water and leave for 3 months. After that use the liquid on anything and everything with no overdose from kelp. Or even put the kelp directly on the soil like mulch.

3 Likes

The star flowers seedlings in the greenhouse are Cosmos, I noticed these performers have purple darkening stems, anyone know about flower deficiencies? Those and the chamomile are 3 times the size of anything in there. Maybe they want more than fish fert or a stronger bloom only fish fert?

1 Like

Purple stems and underside of leaves as well? Purple color in these areas are do to lack of phosphorus it’s pretty common in early stages of growth mix in some worm casting or a tea and you’ll usually see it correct itself in 3-4 days starting with the leaves and working back to the stem then towards the roots .

2 Likes

Do you have bonemeal @meesh? Try making calphos? Calcium/phosphorus solution like in my thread with eggs shells 1 part bonemeal 10 parts vinegar by weight let it set for a day or two , strain it, dilute it water in .

2 Likes

That gives me an idea with my tomatos seem to get a touch of the purple when I grow them out from seedlings maybe I’ll do some comparisons this year if I see it! Ya you often see it in nursery stock as well most plants one buys are usually overgrown for the containers there in if my thinking is right phosphorus is needed for root growth and development .

4 Likes

Last night I did a lot of reading on commercial greenhouse flower production it also said that happens frequently in a soiless mix. @Tinytuttle you are correct sir! It also said purple in tomato was calcium deficiency, you are one knowledgeable cookie!

3 Likes

So, been a lot going on over here this winter… the official cannabis beds have been completely dug out…

We are fixing a broken rain gutter that was flooding the bed. Diverting the water away from the garage again. My house is 70 years old. So the wind had just tore that sucker off at one point.

Sent the soil sample in yesterday to AG labs on suggestion from @MomOnTheRun finally. I’m gonna amend half of this dirt and put it back in the beds and half will be brand new high quality soil.

Last but not least the state of the compost I started last month in my new toy

6 Likes

2 types of Zinnia sprouts popping from my newest greenhouse flat! :blossom:

4 Likes