Backyard soil rejuvenation project

Now I am jealous your so far ahead…I literally just planted petuia’s for my summer outdoor (not quite yet) show lol Priorities, climate…yeah rofl!

I bet you do! :stuck_out_tongue: :hugging:

2 Likes

LOL…you 'betcha

:joy: :smoking: :bed: :heart: :thumbsup:

:evergreen_tree:

4 Likes

Took me a minute! lol.

3 Likes

Bulbs… bulbs…bulbs…

Freesia filled with flower spikes

Pink Daffodils in the house…I think lol

Hyacinth showing me it’s color

Spring cheer daffodils aka narcissus. Smell like LOVE

8 Likes

Your making me yearn for May to hurry up and get here…so pretty! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Thank you so much! It’s really exciting watching these all come up! Feels like forever since I planted them! (It was only the fall), but I actually planted over 500 bulbs all over my yard. The bare root plants I go and look for every single day. Still no sign of any of them. Most are summer blooming though. My guess is they will start late Feb or March (if they come up). Either way, I have all the baby annuals in the greenhouse to excite me if they don’t. lol I really think next year when everything is established it’s gonna be beautiful out there! I’m gonna get a lawn chair and sip my iced coffee next to the best smelling group of flowers I can find! btw… My prized lilac bush (I mean twig) is FINALLY getting a new branch! It’s slowly emerging from the very bottom of the twig. lol Sigh…One day… that will be my coffee spot for about 3 weeks in May. :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

@Tinytuttle speaking of compost starter… I’m filling the second tumbler now, but I open it and it’s just fruit flies like crazy cuz of the banana peels. Should I just dig a bit of dirt out of the veggie bin and throw it in? And I still don’t know if I’m supposed to be spraying some water in the tumblers and if so, how often?

1 Like

Ya make sure stuff is buried and yes throw dirt small shovelful is more than enough this is where the microbes come from that start the process high N products will act like accelerators Blood meal, alfalfa meal grass all high N products … moisture should be 50% remember our squeeze test to check? Microbes need water just like you and I or they die!

Mix with browns as well!

4 Likes

Oh shit! I haven’t checked that. It looks like partially decaying black stuff when I open it and it smells good…like good soil, very earthy. Something tells me that my first batch of compost may suck though. learning curve.

Is there anything else that I could use in my compost to make it top notch? Like how do you charge biochar? In a tea or something or can I compost it to charge?

I think it has a good brown to green ratio right now actually. It’s mostly soil, grass clippings, dried leaves, cardboard, banana peels and dead flowers.

3 Likes

I probably shouldn’t say that they die so to say but go inactive by encasing themselves in their slime puts them in cryo state

I’d say you have good compost !

Adding minerals during the compost would be good microbes would already be breaking them down in plant usable form

Yup your exactly right compost teas worm casting teas ,etc, left to soak for a few days would be good!

3 Likes

I love that idea! Another stupid question but what minerals are best? Rock dust kind of stuff? I have never used any of these things. It sounds like I need a mineral shopping spree on the cheap. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Yup exactly rock dust , I’v put azomite in mine last year, basalt , green sand would work I’d think pretty well , add your meals as well bone meal, crab, anything you want ! That kind of compost would make a kickass tea .: I like using EWC along with compost to make teas

2 Likes

So let me ask you this… if you had a hundred bucks only to spend on excellent things to add to your composts, what would you buy?

How much of these minerals would I add to a 40 gallon batch of compost?

A batch of compost tea a lot if activity in this bad boy!

5 Likes

Mark my words… I’m gonna get there! An aerator and the whole thing, but first I need to learn how to make great compost. The tumbler is my newest toy, got to learn how to make magic in there. lol

2 Likes

Well we try to keep it as simple as possible I’d add minerals in form or rock dust , maybe kelp would be good as for additional sea minerals one has to think that all the minerals trees pull from the soil all get return to the earth , grasses weeds they all have minerals in them , that’s why they say some weeds are more nutrious than supermarket salads and vegetables compost is wonderful stuff and will take you along way as far as soil health! Everyone should compost IMO!

Couple handfuls should do the trick!

2 Likes

Man, I have considered going to the beach many of times with a bucket and snatching up some seaweed. Just not sure it’s legal. I’d only grab the stuff that already washed up though.

2 Likes

You may need a nominal fee permit! But yes a vid I’v seen by Kaligrownbuds just had been posted recently!

Check some of this guy’s vids on you tube!

2 Likes

I love this! Gonna have to bring my bucket with me when it’s beach weather again. Won’t be long now. lol

2 Likes

Move 13 or so post to your thread to help keep things tidy over in the other thread.

1 Like