Backyard soil rejuvenation project

So, apparently the squirrels have relocated a couple of my bulbs to the dirt pile from the soon to be mj beds. Guess this dirt isn’t as dead as I thought.

6 Likes

Got some paint strainers at Home Depot yesterday where they swore they didn’t sell ANYTHING like that! Fuckers! Thanks @MomOnTheRun

5 Likes

So, some of my seeds never germed in the greenhouse. Should I just throw new seeds in the existing pots or start new soil?

4 Likes

I would start new seeds if its been longer than 10 days…Iirc, my toughest seed took ~12 days in my “warm” outside temps of 45-50F night, 65-70F day

4 Likes

Yeah, I still have no petunias, columbine or english lavender and one of my crasapedia’s didn’t germ. Since everything in the greenhouse battles algae I suppose I should use new soil.

Surprisingly your outside temps are warmer than here right now. Kind of trips me out! My Dad seems to think since we had a real winter this year all of my plants are gonna go crazy come spring. We shall see as none of the bareroot plants I put in in fall are coming up. The new bareroots I put in recently aka my Oriental Poppies are growing like gang busters… Strange.

4 Likes

Still no communication on my soil test. Darn! Starting to feel mighty impatient…

1 Like

So, I’ve been cruising around the backyard. Got a couple Dahlia’s coming up and few Double tiger Lily’s, a bunch of other bulbs are vegging, pretty sure it’s Irises and tulips, the pink daffodils that I thought I put in the front planter I believe, some Brodaia Rudy’s that my gardener actually chopped down are growing back and some Ranunculus (I think these are rhizomes, some of the weirdest bulbs I’ve ever seen) and a boat load of yellow daffodils are blooming and a bunch of freesia starting bloom. Pretty great, but only the fall bulbs I planted are coming up. Zero sign of any of the fall bare roots I planted. Maybe I planted them wrong, but regardless if there is no green growth this year on these I will be contacting Michigan Bulb or Gurneys as these were all guaranteed plants.

4 Likes

Hey @Worcestershire_Farms… How is your soil project looking? It’s probably pretty nice by now huh?

3 Likes

Well right this minute no, it’s a bit of a frozen muddy mess. lmfao. Im at 42 degrees north in assachusetts so the project is on hold till mid-april. Should have all the actual work done before Memorial Day

4 Likes

I forget how many frozen states there are right now… @HappyHemper has frozen shitcicles outside right now too, he said… and here I am bitching about the “real” Cali winter we are actually having this year… 50’s f day and 40’s f night… Saw tourists down at Venice Beach today at 52 degrees wearing tank tops and shorts. You could tell who the Cali people were by the scarves, hats and jackets… lol

7 Likes

lmao, thats me all day. Aas soon as temps hit 45/50 i start opening windows all around the house :joy: My plants don’t appreciate me in the winter at all.

4 Likes

I’ll bet they weren’t playing in the water though! lol I was out in San Diego couple years ago in early Spring water was damn cold and the Sea breeze was mighty cool from what I recall

6 Likes

Yeah.

Oh no! :laughing: Those are my mid summer temps…its been fluctuating from ~22 - 35F atm though last week was in the teens. Doesn’t really start reliably warming up here until ~mid March with break up expected in April :wink:

Hmmm, weird. I thought you would have it by now :thinking: though they may have a bit of a back log as Spring is on its way for the majority of ya’ll

3 Likes

That’s the big surprise when people take a dip in the Pacific north of Mexico-- it’s f’n COLD! Not a lot of snorkelers at Maverick’s! :surfer:

:evergreen_tree:

6 Likes

To me, it’s pretty darn cold in the Summer too when it’s low 60’s. I’m a regular beach goer once it warms up, but honestly the only time I go in these days I’m on a boat or paddle board in the marina. I found a floater once when I was a teenager, he had almost washed up on shore. I thought my friend was messing with me and bumping into me on purpose in the water. When I realized what it was that was bumping into me, I completely went into shock. Don’t remember much else from the rest of that day!

7 Likes

That’s rough for a kid. Jeez. :swimmer:

A friend had to help recover “persons” from a train derailment on a river in Mexico as a kid of 10 or so… He can’t eat fruit-cup’s to this day because the red cross fed them a bunch of it.

:hugging: take care

:evergreen_tree: :musical_note: gilligaaaaan…

4 Likes

Got my soil test email… How do I upload a word and excel file? I can’t remember @GrapeApe @toastyjakes @Jellypowered

2 Likes

Should be able to search it when you go to upload

Aha! Soil test… got the excel file uploaded… trying to figure out word document now… What do you make of this @MomOnTheRun

Lewis, Michelle_2019_02_04 #0364copy.xls.pdf (91.7 KB)

2 Likes

Does my link work @toastyjakes

1 Like