Backyard soil rejuvenation project

Got some of this for my compost

Kinda pissed, I bought a 40 dollar cultivator and one of the tines broke off first time I used it. I’m taking it back

3 Likes

Got this set today. Pretty cool for making nutrient teas.

5 Likes

So, I’ve been soaking a bunch of weeds in a 5 gallon bucket with a lid on it in the sun. Anyone know how long I should “cook” these down and should I further dilute it before applying to all my plants? Also, is a soil drench or foliar better for weed nutrients? @Tinytuttle @Sunvalley @cannabissequoia @ReikoX or any of my organic peeps…

5 Likes

I’d say a week or two for fermentation then a 1:10 dilution for foliar and or drench , let’s see what others say .

6 Likes

Next time I can use those cool bags I bought above, and put it right inside the bucket and straining will be a piece of cake! I have 4 different levels of mesh size on those bags. Pretty cool.

3 Likes

Those look more like bubble bags used in ice water hash making … sure you want to use them in compost?

4 Likes

Ya the smaller micron sizes are for higher quality hash

2 Likes

I don’t know what they are for but they are 5 gallons each and it seems like if I threw weeds or nutrients in there to soak, it would be really easy to just pull them out of the bucket and discard the waste leaving the liquid in the bucket.

I don’t know how to make hash lol

3 Likes

Ya they’d definitely would work but not for the intended purpose they were meant for . Ya haven’t dunked them in weed compost yet have ya?

2 Likes

No. I got them for next time. I figured it would be easier than trying to strain the stuff and pretty easy to clean

3 Likes

If its not a noxious weed and forced to boil to keep from spreading or at the end of the fall season, this is what I do…2 wks “cold” fermentation then 1:10 dilution for drench; 1:20 dilution for foliar…usually foliar 1st to see if its actually needed before adding it to the soil

They would work for your purpose though those are really nice bags…i’d save them for ice water hash and grab some 1.00 or so paint strainers to use instead :wink:

5 Likes

What is considered a noxious weed? Aren’t they all? lol It’s dandelion and yellow clover without the flowers or seeds, maybe some mallow too… Should I take it out and boil it?

Jeezus! You are more useful than the dipshits at Home Depot. They swore they didn’t sell anything like that and I quote “that sort of thing isn’t used for building”… Fools! Paint Strainers!!!

3 Likes

I’ve read in a few places now that each type of weed grows when your soil is lacking some nutrient and that the weeds collect that nutrient and draw it to the surface… damned be the other plants that need it, but it supposedly enhances the soil. So, my thought process is and please someone tell me if I’m wrong, cuz I’m going off of intuition that my soil is lacking these particular nutrients and by putting the weed tea back in, my soil with be healthier and my plants will be happy. So basically I’m assuming my flower beds can use it right now.

3 Likes

I suppose it depends on your definition of noxious…for me its bird vetch. All others tend to play nice in my colder environment :stuck_out_tongue:

Nah, if I had the warmer climate that you do, I would just “cold” ferment it all like you are…except the vetch - my ultimate nemesis here though as its been pointed out to me, it doesn’t spread like wildfire for others in the lower states…kinda weird, ya’ll battle mint taking over yet here, it plays nice staying within its confines

:stuck_out_tongue:

Each area will have their own nutrient content. Shoot a neighbor 3 houses down has a different soil composition than I do without adding anything to it… foliar feed the different ferments to see how they react. The soil test will tell you for sure what is needed vs whats in excess, how to balance it out then go from there…the waiting game really does suck though its much better than guessing

3 Likes

I wouldn’t be so concern with weeds and weeds seeds ,being submerged for that long under water and fermenting nothing would be viable to cross over and cause problems the Koreans have been doing this sort of thing for a long time now .

5 Likes

I’v read the same stuff recently and in a gardening book I’m reading now that your weed teas should emcompass a variety of weeds in your teas yes weeds are biodynamic accumulators meaning that they mine certain minerals from the soil profile.

5 Likes

Hehehe yeah I wouldn’t want to ruin those lovely clean bubble bags :rofl::rofl:
Got good help here from folks so think you’re on the right path. When I do a plant soak or ferment outside in a tote I just give it a stir daily and wait for the smell to go from rotten to sweet and the for the bubbles to stop :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Thanks y’all! Haha! I don’t see hash making in my near future. Gonna return them and get some of those paint strainers that I can just throw away. Had no idea!

5 Likes

:smile: :joy: Well I’ve been smoking lids of weed from a ginormous tote so I’m not very experienced

:point_up: that’s more like what i’m into at the moment! :wink:

:evergreen_tree: :point_left: = :pig2: in :poop:

4 Likes

Hey Meesh the five gallon paint strainers are nice. They will be reusable for a while or at least we reuse them at work and maple syruping.

4 Likes