Backyard soil rejuvenation project

You’ll find that residential worms in the area will come and populate the area over time my red wigglers overwinter nicely here in Colorado in the native soil but they need heavy mulching for overwintering I’v used worm compost from my worm bins that I’v used as an inoculant for those beds with and they have done well for years now. They do just fine with organic matter top dressed . Red wil work the upper layers of soil while the earthworms and nightcrawlers will work the deeper layers of the soil profile.

5 Likes

Fire his ass! :joy: lol

4 Likes

@Tinytuttle I put wigglers in the veggie patch last fall. Seen a few here and there, one made it all the way across the huge yard and through the wood fence into one of my side planters in the front. lol Should I get a pound anyway and throw them in the new mj beds or you think they will just find their way?

4 Likes

You can if ya want just continue adding leaves and mulch and keep it moist they reproduce like mad when their happy you can also go on local vermacomposting yahoo exchange sites and asked around for some starters worms more people are getting into composting this way may be just as easy.

3 Likes

Yes go ahead and use it doesn’t need to be sifted woodier stuff will continue to break down! Haha I’m psychic!

2 Likes

I’d give sonoma valley worm farm a try & get as much as you want to spend.
Consider starting a worm bin! :bug:

:evergreen_tree:

2 Likes

That would be a great idea that way you’d have availability all the time , help others start their bins as well and maybe make a little dough on the side.
!

4 Likes

Honestly, I’m getting much more comfortable around bugs since I started this project and as beneficial as I think worms are, I think a whole bin o’worms may be pushing my comfort level! lol You all will be the first to know if I ever do though. :wink:

So, a lot of my greenhouse plants are rooted out now. Been slowly but surely planting them in permanent homes. I’m trying to think strategically and be thoughtful in my placements, especially with the perennials. It will be interesting when everything grows completely in. I will def find out what looks good where and what I either have to re-locate or get rid of… I started with such a blank canvas that it may look crazy when it comes in. lol

5 Likes

@Tinytuttle the seed packet is gone from my canterbury bells. It’s hardened off now and ready to be planted except I can’t remember how tall it will get. If you still have your seed packet would you be so kind as to let me know, so I can figure out where to put it? Thanks!

3 Likes

Sure will at work till 10:30 tonight but I’ll drop ya a message tomorrow

2 Likes

My package says about 30" in height … looked at my seeds tonight hope I get something from them look pretty small and almost looks like seed chaff instead of seeds

2 Likes

Alrighty then, back of the planter it is then… Thank you, Sir! This one has deceptively small leaves and height when starting out… I’m trying to think back, I’m thinking they germed in 2 or 3 weeks in the greenhouse.

2 Likes

I’ve noticed that my lemon balm doesn’t seem to respond to nutrients much. I think they prefer shitty soil. A greenhouse observation.

OOH also, that first Cosmo flower is gonna bloom any minute now! Can’t wait to show you guys my first greenhouse flower! The chamomile may beat it, but that’s technically an herb. lol

6 Likes

It’s been a week, wondering if all my soil amendments are going to come today. That would be ideal so I can broadcast this weekend at least in the veggie patch so I can start planting. Been working late into the night everyday, so I slept late today. Very late start and since it’s already 1 pm I won’t have time today to plant more of the hardened off plants either in the flowerbeds or the containers… So much stuff to do outside right now and I’m chained to my computer working. About a month or so to go and I can take a break for awhile, cut down my work hours and play in the garden most of the summer.

I’m also a major snot factory right now. My boyfriend gave me a cold. Sick again! Can’t catch a break this flu season, caught every damn thing that’s gone around. Ugh!

4 Likes

Well, there went that! As soon as I finished the last post, Fedex came with a ruby Penstamon bareroot that needed planting. Got that in the ground by the backyard rose bushes and planted stock from my greenhouse out by the newly planted cosmos.

I don’t have to wonder if my worms are still out there! They seem to like the bark mulch that I put in one of the planters. At least 5 popped up when I was planting the stock and an earthworm while digging for the penstamon. Also threw a few potato bug (jerusalum crickets) larvae in the trash. Unfortunately, they are out there in full force too.

4 Likes

Finished a client and took a break… Planted container strawberries (Alpine) from greenhouse. Lemon Basil and Coleus sprouting now as well. Still no sign of my effing Petunias! Gonna try regular seeds next. Darn pelleted seeds are crap!
Alright back to work. It’s gonna be a long night. sigh

5 Likes

So, my first greenhouse flower and it’s a MUTANT! Bwahaha! Of course it is! This hit my funny bone for some reason. When I saw this I laughed until I cried!

8 Likes

Spent about 6 hours in the garden today. Raked and weeded the veggie patch and beds. Ready for the broadcast and planting when it shows. Next Sunday, my sweetie and I are heading to Orange County for an old skool punk music festival so I have to fit in the backyard strategically. The mj planter has been filled in 1/4 of the way for first layer of broadcast as well. Jezebel took out one of the Stock I planted already. Trampled it. Sacrifice to the god of canine lovers, I suppose. Not sure the stock will actually flower anyway. Read something about it needing 3 straight weeks between 50 and 55 degrees. We had that but the plants were too small and in the greenhouse at the time. I can start more in late fall next year if that’s the case. Def not worried about getting more worms, seen oodles of them today again. They were sure on the downlow in the colder times. We’ve had drizzle and short spurts of rain, but it has warmed up quite a bit. Love it!

Oh, I found a grow light box in my garage. I’m gonna need to investigate further and see what’s in there…
and I need to uppot my tomato plants, they won’t make it until planting time in the 4" cup

6 Likes

:joy: punk rock gardening image search

:evergreen_tree:

4 Likes

Uppotted my tomato plants, they just wouldn’t make it another week. Damn Canterbury Bells either, wasn’t able to check the greenhouse until this evening and I think I killed 2 of them. It got up to 70 outside today, they sucked up all the water in their tiny pot and 2 fell over far from limp, pretty much melted. I’m gonna see if they come back to life in an hour, luckily for some reason I made like 6 starters of those and I only need 2 so I’m covered. I was gonna give a few to my neighbor… OOPS! Either way, planting the live ones in the flower bed tmw first thing. I meant to do it like 3 days ago. Crap.

6 Likes