Backyard soil rejuvenation project

OOH! Spring is so much fun! All the summer plants I ordered keep arriving, I believe I have received the last package today aside from a bat flower and zebra primrose that ships in April… So much good stuff today. All my gladiola bulbs, my ultimate favorite flowers tuberose (this time another colored mix I’ve been antsy for), A gorgeous pink pom pom dahlia that the pincher bugs will eat, Some ground orchids for my shade garden, a starfish iris, a tropical siam tulip, painted daisy and more freesia in some new colors. Guess what I’m doing today. I have a love of bulbs because almost all of my beloved fragrant flowers are bulbs. The only problem is I have no idea what everything is gonna look like when it comes in. I suppose I will find out where the bare and ugly spots lie throughout the season and can plant perennials or other annuals to fill in as needed. A gigantic blank canvas is fun, but if you aren’t a landscape architect it’s slightly overwhelming. lol

6 Likes

Sounds like you’ll have a beautiful garden no no time! Ru going with the Feng shui type of gardening style?

2 Likes

Nah… the who tf knows, sort of color and height coordinated style lol :joy:

Is this the proper amount of mulch? Planted my peppers

5 Likes

I’d say so but I’d take that mulch almost right up to the plant to help with moisture retention as well as weed suppression

3 Likes

OMG! I’m getting old. Had to turn the dirt for the 3 pepper plants in the veggie patch with a shovel and pull up more grass roots before I planted. About 8 ft x 4 ft. I’m exhausted. It’s hot today. In the 70s which feels scorching in the sun. Took me hours!! Planted some bulbs in the planters as well still about 150 bulbs to go. Taking a break. Gonna get back at it for as long as I can before I do a thorough watering. Whew!!!

7 Likes

Back to normal Southern Cali weather, in the 70’s. Way too hot in the greenhouse now. I’m gonna finish germing whatever is in there and leave a few that have not gotten their 2nd set of true leaves for now. All of the other plants have been hardened off at this point and are staying outside in their flats as I slowly but surely find homes for all of them. Did a few container plantings today for added garden interest and variation, phlox and lemon balm. Also put the new fancy tuberose I got today into a big pot that sits right outside my backdoor where I will get to enjoy the intoxicating scent. I had some double tuberose “the pearl” out there before for a few years and have recently divided it and planted a lot in the cutting garden. I will do the same with this batch in a few years once it multiplies. Also, put more straw closer to the bell peppers per @Tinytuttle suggestion and did a deep watering out back and front. Now I am gonna order a kick ass salad from this BBQ place down the road and marathon “Bosch” while I lay my tired old ass on the couch like a vegetable.

3 Likes

:nerd: :zap: please tell me this is about German tools & electric ignitions, even a coffee-grinder…

:evergreen_tree:

3 Likes

Also a pitch for or mucking fork that you’d use in horse stalls is what I use for turning.

3 Likes

I enjoyed the adventures of Hieronymus “Harry” Bosch. Surprisingly good.
Looking forward to season 5, beginning in April.
The series captures the sense of the Connelly novels quite well.
Enjoy.

1 Like

@cannabissequoia Bosch is a cop drama on Prime. I’ve been streaming it on my amazon fire box.

@Calyxander I believe my Dad mentioned the show to me. I was hooked right away. Only started watching this week, I’m at the end of season 2… At the rate I’m going, I’ll be caught up for the new season. Really enjoy that it’s set in Los Angeles too, as I recognize so many places. Also love that he’s a Mexican food freak, that’s pretty true to form for us So Cal folks. lol

3 Likes

also a lot of therapy in the garden when you gear up… i go through depressive stages pretty often and find myself just walking outside not wanting to do much but smell a few plants and be down and stare at shit… but after a little bit and picking up a few pots i generally get myself together a bit and things start rolling lol… So keep ya head up and remember we all love you and your updates and we always here for a chat if you need

4 Likes

That is exactly what I do too. It always starts with my coffee in hand wandering and staring at shit, until suddenly you see a new sprout or a weed that needs pulling and suddenly you forget you are depressed and go into auto pilot. Thanks for your kind words, my friend! :sunny::seedling:

5 Likes

boooom in 20 characters hehe

2 Likes

You know spring has sprung when you start getting eaten alive in your garden by bugs. “itch itch scratch scratch”

I’m pretty sure I have the plan down for the veggie patch planting. 2 arched trellises are getting built tomorrow. One will have my cherry tomatoes, the other will have cantaloupe and birdhouse gourds. I have like 3 types of marigolds that will surround with some cilantro underneath so they can get shade. Then rows of amaranth, 3 types of sunflowers, zinnias, asters, crasapedia and QIS. With some herbs worked in here and there. And a couple open spaces for some unsexed regular mj plants for late spring.

3 Likes

Dog tired and my back is broken… Spent another 6 hours out there again today. Planted a few hundred bulbs. Most were my Gladiolas. Everything going in the flower beds are done. I had to really dig up a big patch of soil near my rose bushes as some sort of trailing weed was in there. Not sure what it’s called, it’s actually really pretty, but spreads like wild fire with tiny fibrous roots. So you have to peel off a whole layer of the crap. That was a pain in my ass. Echinacea and painted daisies from the greenhouse are also in their final homes. Pansy Giants from the greenhouse in a container now. Aside from some container going plants I’m waiting to root out and some lavender, it’s mostly plants for the veggie patch left and a few things I’m waiting on to germ. My white lavender is ready to be planted, but the English type I can’t seem to get to germ. This is my second attempt. It’s a really big bug deterrent darn it. I really want it to come up.

4 Likes

Gonna be more back breaking today. I have reinforcements though. Dad and my sweetie are coming to help make the trellises and keep filling in the special mj beds. About 1/2 of the dirt has already been replaced and amended. They are almost done. My time will be spent digging and planting as much as my back allows in to the veggie patch. I will be happy once everything is finally planted and on to routine maintenance. Advil is my friend.

3 Likes

It’s hard to get a good pic out back, but here are the arched trellises we made today. Not bad for a rookie!

8 Likes

Smoky Artichokey :wink:

:evergreen_tree:

2 Likes

Gonna look awesome when that trellis fills up … good job :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Super excited about the trellises! Thank you @Sunvalley

So the trellis plants are done. Transplanted the cherry tomatoes from the greenhouse. Started some cilantro underneath for shade. Seeds of birdhouse gourds, and cantaloupe planted. A row of French vanilla hybrid marigolds seeds line one side on the outside of the trellis. I’m gonna line the other side with jaguar marigolds, but tmw. My sweetie wants my attention today, so that’s all for today. It’s starting to look like a proper garden out there

5 Likes