Backyard soil rejuvenation project

I’d get I nice symmetrical pile built up on your garage floor of somewhere flat cut the pile in half , then cut each 1/2 into 1/3rds then ya have 6 evenly distributed piles or pretty darn close!

3 Likes

Good new is homie called me and said it’s probably easiest to weigh out the 13 lbs and change in 2 piles since they have different spots in the yard and just eyeball the other 4 parts since they are being layered into the same beds anyway.

All good suggestions!

2 Likes

'Homie the clown don’t mess around! :musical_note: :circus_tent: :balloon:

My HS summer job was in a warehouse I packed $$ silk with liquid dyes & we would use electrical tape on all the caps. :thumbsup: Rarely had an issue.

:smile:

:evergreen_tree:

2 Likes

My first call this morning was the actual company that sent the nutes. They kind of grilled me like cheese about the state of the packages. Slightly annoying, but whatever, not my fault everything arrived a big soggy mess. Regardless, they are reshipping my liquids.

Damn earwigs ate the leaves on my newly growing dahlias. Annoyed. Guess I have to bug spray the flower beds. Since there are no edibles growing in there. Bummed.

4 Likes

:baby_chick: :baby_chick: You should get 2 chickens. (only one & it will die of lonliness!) and they’ll eat the bugs and your dahlias. :thumbsup:

3 Likes

Build death traps for the miserable bastids.

4 Likes

So, dividing and broadcasting my 80 lbs of minerals wasn’t too bad actually. I ended up getting 6 trash bags and just using a 4 cup measuring cup and just divvied it up by hand. Only took about 15 mins. When all was said and done, it turned out to be just a light layer all over the back yard. Took me much longer to till it in 3 inches in the veggie patch. Had to water it into the planters as there are bulbs and flowers underground and such.

Hit up Home Depot for some t-posts as I’m gonna make 2 arched trellises in the veggie patch with a big roll galvanized fencing and some zip ties. Thank you Youtube! Also got a few tomato cages for 3 bucks a piece for the bell peppers and a 3 cubic foot bag of potting mix for my container plants and the big galvanized steel planter the strawberries are going in.

My blueberry bush is getting leaves and I’m supposed to pick off the flowers this year for a big yield next year. I haven’t done it yet because I need to research and make sure I do it properly, but I’m pretty excited that it is no longer a stick and has something growing on it.

Bought some slug and snail bait as I read it kills earwigs, before I saw @Calyxander article about traps. If the snail bait doesn’t work then I’m definitely gonna make traps as Dahlias are a favorite of pincher bugs.

Almost forgot, gave my gardener a bit of shit about chopping up my bearded iris. lol Not too much though, the man cuts all my trees and does extra stuff for me above and beyond what I pay him for… He always tells me… I like the white ladies… Hahaha! Always flirting.

9 Likes

Tripped while bringing my plants into the greenhouse. Dropped an entire flat. My 2 types of zinnias are all mixed up. Broke some leaves and stuff. Ugh! On the bright side, I spent hours weeding out in the backyard. It’s a never ending job, but I got a lot done. That moment when you pull up the entire weed tap root… YES! So darn satisfying. lol

My 2nd Cosmo pretty color

Pansy giants are starting too

8 Likes

Got a large order of plants and bulbs today, including my bare root strawberry plants. Been fighting depression for about 5 days now. Tying to force myself to start planting them. There is a lot of “forcing” yourself that happens during depression…

6 Likes

Keep On Keepin’ On… It is amazing how once you “force” yourself to tackle something and get it done, and out of the way, how much better you feel… Sometimes it’s the small things that make the greatest difference…

I love this thread. You’re experience and the advice on here will make a difference in how I approach my own backyard. I live in an area that contains a lot of sand… and a lot of Thyme…Alot…lol. Over the last five years I have been trying to incorporate more and more garden space/flower plots to try and eliminate the rampant thyme. It is always a work in progress it seems.

Peace @Meesh

5 Likes

Hmmm.

I’m not a doctor or an engineer. :blush:

But I’ll still try… :balloon:

:vulcan:

4 Likes

Thank you @anon95954822 and @cannabissequoia

So, I got out there…planted 100 anemone bulbs, a couple lily bulbs and a blue globe thistle bareroot and 3 more oriental poppies. Also, got the start of my shade plants today. 10 lily of the valleys and a white gold dicentra aka bleeding heart. Sure hope I planted the lily of the valleys properly… I also started my galvanized steel container with some june-bearing strawberries. Only had room for 3 so I posted 7 of them on my Nextdoor (neighborhood website) hopefully someone wants them, I would hate to have to put them in the compost. My back started hurting so I stopped for today, still have some other bulbs to plant. Some Glads and liatris and one other I can’t recall the name of right now. I’ll get to those tomorrow. Again… dozens of worms popped up to say hello everywhere I dug today. Boy, did that pound of red wigglers multiply. They are even in the grass out there. Found a bunch when I was digging out weeds the other day.

3 Likes

Some pics of stuff popping up…
First up some pretty white daffodils, in front of that are a bunch of tulips. Those flower tips are starting to show. I guess they are red. This is fun cuz I didn’t remember anymore what’s in the cutting garden

The dwarf blueberry again, looking like a real plant now. Remember when it was just a big twig. Been pulling off the flowers for a bigger yield next year

This guy is new in one of the planters… don’t remember what it is either, but it resembles a Lily which I am a bit of a freak for so it wouldn’t surprise me.

And my black diamond succulent I started from a cutting out of my boyfriend’s yard last year is getting it’s first ridiculously big flower.

10 Likes

@anon95954822 is it creeping thyme? Funny, I’ve tried to germ some in my greenhouse to use as a ground cover because I hate grass lol. Out of 18 pots in the flat, only like 5 germed. Not even close to enough for what I need it for. It’s probably gonna end up in the compost. You can’t get rid of it and I can’t get enough… lol At least it smells good when you walk on it.

3 Likes

It most certainly is creeping thyme… I would gladly trade you a 1/4 acre of thyme for grass if it were possible… lol. It does smell nice, especially when I am hitting it with the lawnmower and weed whacker. It comes out in mats when I dig it up…like a roll of sod. The elderly woman who owned the house previously planted it as ornamental and it just took off. I will collect some seeds for you through the summer and you can try these if you wish later on…

Peace

4 Likes

Honestly been considering buying like 1000 seeds and just throwing them out there in the 30 feet stretch that I need covered. They say they do best started indoors, but those darn seeds were microscopic. Smallest ones I’ve ever seen. Even with my glasses on, I had to just say a hail mary and randomly sprinkle the 100 seeds I had across the flat and hope they made it in… Well, didn’t go so well. I may have to break down and buy already started flats of some sort of ground cover instead. I saw one flat of pennyroyal at home depot recently which intrigued me, but that wasn’t enough to cover that space either. I started researching pennyroyal seeds and have no idea what type it was I saw at the store as there is an English and an american type. Of course the labeling at home depot was lacking. I really want something that can handle light foot traffic but also smells good if I step on it. The pennyroyal is also invasive. Which I don’t mind as long as it spreads to the grass and not my planters.

4 Likes

@anon95954822 you can try covering it with tight clear plastic in the summer and solarizing it. Bake that shit like a pot brownie!

4 Likes

So, I’m doing my usual perusing of free garden stuff on my neighborhood website. It always cracks me up that people want to get rid of their junk but want to charge for it. Especially succulent plants… anyone in Southern Cali is an absolute moron if they are paying for succulents. They are everywhere here and you can propagate them with a single leaf. It’s absurd that some of my neighbors are trying to sell theirs. Unless it is extremely rare an unusual…haven’t seen one posted yet. Silly people!

4 Likes

I have an african neighbor(thre real kind) and i swear he’d buy 1/2 a sandwich at the flea market & try and re-sell it to the seller for more. 'dude has a flea-market problem. :wastebasket: But I recognize how alien American markets must feel to outsiders & the foreign born. :wink: Gotta find your happy place. :v:

:evergreen_tree: not THAT one!

2 Likes

I received all my liquid minerals. Did my first Cal Mag drench on the entire backyard today. The bareroot strawberries I planted have their 2 leaves all sticking up in the air today. They seemed to have already taken to the pot. Don’t see any progress on any of the other bareroots I planted yet though. The Dahlias are just shredded scrap now. Fucken pincher bugs. I’m gonna have to make traps, but it may be too late. I don’t know

Bought 2 new gardening encyclopedias today. Encyclopedia of garden plants and Encyclopedia of garden techniques Awesome! Practically every flower known to man and where it grows best etc… and how to do, well everything…like dividing bulbs, propagating etc…

5 Likes