Backyard soil rejuvenation project

So, my morning coffee stroll around the backyard has revealed 2 itty bitty microscopic petunia sprouts in the newest non-pelleted type I planted. Guess the just wanted to germ outside. That’s the only thing I can gather, same with the English Lavender. How in the hell will I water these suckers when they need it? I have already dislodged the 1 lavender from watering. These tiny seedlings really mess me up.

1 Like

Mini muffin container from the bakery section, afer you eat the muffins. I’m gonna leave that typo. :smile:

I went shirtless to carry my fish in my shirt after dodging out of first aid class to do more archery because i brought my own compound bow. we had highland games with caber-tossing! the thought of how sissified things have become today! AGH! OMG! I hate today! :smile:

:evergreen_tree:

2 Likes

I’m much less sissified in my middle age. Still won’t fish cuz I don’t eat them and I can’t stand the thought of hurting them, traumatizing them then throwing them back. I’m happy as a pig in shit relaxing in the boat quietly reading and drinking beers though! lol

2 Likes

So, Dad had me searching my garage for one of Gramps old tools. Actually found it. It’s like a million years old. It says Cincinnati Tool Made in USA. Thought some of you may get a kick out of it.

6 Likes

DAMN! Gramps was in the mafia!

St Pat’s day got’em all riled up

:evergreen_tree: j/k :wink:

2 Likes

Has a nice patina to it looks like it should be in a historical museum somewhere! Lol

2 Likes

Oh, there’s more! Some really weird looking tools. Mostly for woodworking. Gramps was a carpenter. Funny thing is that all this 70 year old stuff actually still works.

3 Likes

My back has recovered after a few days of rest. Gonna attempt to plant the last third of the veggie patch. Dig, squat, sift, pull grass roots repeat. It’s all flowers and herbs going in today. I’ll see how much juju I have this afternoon. Lol

2 Likes

Probably better than today’s crap they sell for tools!

3 Likes

Here’s some pics from today

8 Likes

So all of my digging is officially done! Thank dog! That dark patch of soil on the right is what I dug up today.
Wow! It looks a whole lot different out there since the desolate pics from last summer. It took me about 5 hours out there today. Didn’t have anything left in me to do the last of the planting. Tomorrow the last of the planting will get done and then it’s all maintenance from here, while I watch all of the flower beds and veggie patch come to life. By this time tomorrow the last foot of dirt will be back into the new cannabis beds as well and the last of the broadcast will be added to it. Guess I should order some clover this week and get it started in there as it will be the start of my new living soil bed. Really stoked on this! I can start learning some organic techniques to really make it super soil. Plus I will have time to start making seed sprout concoctions etc… The daffodil above was supposed to be the pink ones I think. I went back and read the fine print after I got them that said they are only pink in the cold. Well, that will never happen here, but they are gorgeous flowers nonetheless. As you can see my strawberries have really settled in and are growing pretty quickly, they are june-bearers but I have to pick off all of the flowers this year for proper yield next year. Hopefully I can keep them alive that long. lol

5 Likes

I renamed your dog Monkilou.

:dog:

:evergreen_tree: :laughing:

2 Likes

Well… she only answers to Jezebel, Jezzy, Jez, Jezebelly, Jezesmelly, Bell, Belly, Prettiest Girl, Treat, Walk or Ride

But you can call her what you want. :joy:

3 Likes

Walked around again last night like a hunchback from all that digging. Man, it sucks getting old. I did sleep like a rock though and slept in late. Now I’m just sitting here in complete silence drinking coffee. Dad usually shows about 1pm on Sundays. He’s gonna secure the poles to the trellis with some sort of screws as the trellises on YouTube were made with thicker cattle panels so mine are a tad altered. Can’t buy cattle panels in the city. LOL trying to summon up the energy to finish planting. A bit more coffee power should do it. Happy Spring everybody!

3 Likes

i know your pain. :smile: mostly in the ass tho! :laughing: seriously…doing the splits all day & bending at the waist…oi…

your trellis should be OK if the vegetation is lighter but if it’s grapes or heavy stuff & wind does happen… :thinking:

electrical tape is my duct tape

2 Likes

It’s gonna have some heavy stuff too, cantaloupes and birdhouse gourds. We had to add the extra poles to the centers for more support. Dad just had to flatten a few of the electrical conduits thingys we used at the tops so he could use the zip ties with screw holes and drill them in. Luckily I bought a smaller hybrid cantaloupe though, not sure it would hold the big suckas!

So! Done and Done! The veggie patch is complete!! The list of plants in that 400 sq ft patch are as follows…

Cherry tomatoes
Cantaloupes
Birdhouse Gourds
2 types of sweet peas
Bunching green onions
Lemon Basil
CA Wonder bell peppers
2 types of Marigolds
Nasturtiums
3 types of Zinnias
Amaranth (Love Lies Bleeding)
3 types of Sunflowers
Asters
Gomphrena
Artichoke
Cilantro
Room for a few regular cannabis plants

Everything else that I have in starters are for other borders, flower beds or containers.

The cannabis beds have been filled in with the last of the dirt as well, funny thing is we are short 46 1/2 cubic feet. Dad and I have both decided that we have spent enough money out there so we are just gonna get some regular old organic garden soil for the top few inches. I’ll get some dutch white clover seeds and start bringing it to life before it’s mj time.

I have a sunburn just on the upper part of my calves. Obviously, even the sun agrees that I’ve been kneeling way too much! lol Time to buy a new bottle of sunscreen!

7 Likes

Oh, I forgot to talk about the straw mulch. I used 35lbs of compressed straw in the veggie patch, Even covered the pathways, just don’t want to deal with too many weeds. First time in my life that I’ve ever used mulch, always thought it was a decorative and/or cold places thing. Boy, am I impressed. Once you wet the straw down it stops flying all over the place for one. In all seriousness, it’s gonna save me on my water bill this summer. It stays nice and moist under there. Reminds me, I need to order more from build a soil for the mj beds. For my regular flower beds, I seem to prefer bark mulch. Aesthetics, I suppose.

4 Likes

The Mammoth and the Ms. Mars sunflowers are popping! Nothing on the other type yet. A few marigolds sprouting already too. One of the mammoths has a seed head. I sprayed it with water, but those seeds are thick, I may have to perform surgery. I’m a little worried about that as like I said they are thick seeds. Maybe put a glass on top of it? Afraid that will fry it though in the sun.

So far the tiny petunia sprouts are still intact as well, except I killed my mj seedling. Forgot about it and it fried. UGH!

3 Likes

squeeze the helmet-headed seed on the sides/seams gently and/or hold the seedling with one hand & gently pull the shell off. it takes a bit of practice but i only screw up 1/10 ;).

3 Likes

Hahaha! Thanks! That’s the thing it’s not exactly easy to gently squeeze that sumbich. Those shells are tough. I feel like I would have to crack it. I’ll let it soak with it’s hat on overnight and perform surgery in the morning. Hopefully it will be gone before that or at least softer. :anguished:

3 Likes