Backyard soil rejuvenation project

The shell hadn’t softened up by this morning and my exacto knife went missing so I cut the shells off the sunflower sprouts with my fiskars. I didn’t screw them up. Yay! Those sprouts are huge. I was hoping for sprouts on the cantaloupe and birdhouse gourds too, but they aren’t ready. Was busy with my sweetie today, so I will start about 6 more auto seeds tmw, since My boyfriend and Dad have fiended on all the weed and it’s running low. I’ll need to get Dad and I through October with hopefully no dispensary runs. I love wandering around in the garden when I have guests and showing them stuff that’s coming up. Today was just my sweetie, who doesn’t really give a shit, but bless him he will ooh and aah for my sake as he knows how much the garden makes me happy. lol

Almost forgot! Flowers are starting on my sweet peas!

5 Likes

Yup… Just like a woman to blame the men around when the weed goes missing… gave me flashbacks lol

Backyard sounds like it’s coming along pretty good. It really is worth all the aches and pains and curses when you see progress, isn’t it? I never plant sunflowers anymore as the squirrels and chipmunks do a better job than I ever could… I’m envious of you… you have grass, you’re outdoors, nice weather, and looking forward to seeing your trellis fill out. You have your own Garden of Eden…

Peace
DaFozz

6 Likes

Hahaha! but, but, but… it’s true “bats lashes” I enjoy growing it more than smoking it these days, but I indulge a bit in the evenings. Maybe a 1/2 to a whole joint depending.

I scrolled back to the start of this thread and looked at the photo progression yesterday actually. It’s really coming along nicely. It’s very interesting and rewarding to watch for sure! It seems that the squirrels were too busy digging up one of my Lily of the Valley plants to get around to the sunflowers. They like to dig up my bulbs too. Unfortunately, I am such an animal lover that I just sigh and shake my head as I sit in the backyard and watch them snatch an avocado or macadamia nut off my tree, eat part of it and throw it on the ground. lol Yes, I am very grateful for my home and really love watching everything fill in. Strolling around out there in the mornings with my coffee is my favorite thing these days!

7 Likes

The last layer of dirt is in the cannabis flower beds now. I’ll need to get out there tomorrow as I’m supposed to till in the top and last of the broadcast mix, especially since this Thursday is the 2nd Cal/Mag soil drench. Then I switch for a month to the Humus. I ordered the clover from build a soil yesterday along with some malted barley to play with and more straw mulch. They send orders super fast over there and always free. It’s great. Anyway, I want to bring those beds to life next week. So, they will be nice and populated with microbes by planting time.

5 Likes

Forgot about the weekly foliars I was supposed to start. Damn it! Guess I’ll start Friday… Foliar Fridays so I remember. Not sure what I’m supposed to do when I have 2 I’m supposed to do weekly. Same day or different days?

Just putted around the garden again after tilling in the last of the broadcast into the designated mj beds. All of the Mammoth sunflowers and Mars type are above ground now. Saw a few cilantro sprouts and the Italian white sunflowers starting, but not all. New bulbs are starting too. Quite certain my Lily trees and peruvian Daffodils along with some allium starting, but that will be awhile. The white gold dicentra bleeding heart has leaves now! Woot! The tomatoes are going towards the trellis already. My wisteria that basically hasn’t done jack in a few years decided to grow leaves again so I built it a proper trellis, it’s already going for it. The zinnias that were started in the greenhouse seem not to care where the hell they are and are growing like weeds and tomorrow I will probably have my first sweet pea flower.

4 Likes

Backyard got it’s second Cal-Mag soil drench. Tomorrow I will do the first foliar and in 2 weeks I switch to the humus drench for a month. Looks like my birdhouse gourds are starting to peak through the soil. And a couple more italian white sunflowers coming through again. Everything seems to look good out there. Happy Thursday

4 Likes

The first 3 sweet peas!

7 Likes

Those 3 little sweet peas are stinking up my entire kitchen! In a good way! Mmmmm!

3 Likes

So, I’m giddy with excitement and I’m high, my very first tomato is on the vine! Tee hee! Pretty certain the cal-mag drenches were pretty much perfect timing. If I recall it prevents blossom end rot, plus it makes the fruit taste better. There are a whole new bunch of lilies coming in, guess the squirrels didn’t get them all. They are about 90% orientals too, so I will have the most fragrant garden in the land! Muahahaha! I’m really gonna have to get a nice chair or two for back there by summer. My flowers, my iced coffee, smokin a lil sumptin sumptin… Ahhh!

7 Likes

Got fun stuff in the mail to play with. Also got my straw, but should have just gotten another 35lb box for like 10 bucks more. Much better deal. Oh well live and learn

Alright my organic brethren @Sunvalley @ReikoX @Tinytuttle etc… tell me what to do with this stuff again and I promise I’ll remember to bookmark it this time.

5 Likes

Grind it up in a blender say maybe a cup throw it in a 5 gallon bucket bubble it for 6 hours water it in around the plants ! Easy peasy
BAS WEBSITE recommends 1/8 cup per gallon so for 5 gallon 3/4 would do the trick

FWIW when ya run out of that bag go to local home brew store and pick it up much cheaper ! You’ll want to look for either 2 row or 6 row variety base malt 2 row will be more common to find probably < $2/lb I haven’t personally compared the two ( on a gardening level) but 6 row has more diastatic power which in the brewing industry it can convert more fermentables such as rice which a lot of the American beers are made from .

3 Likes

Okay, so I can’t bubble it. Not set up for that yet. Should I just make a paste?

1 Like

Get a stick and stir, clockwise for a few minutes then counterclockwise repeat a few times over 4 hours water in!

3 Likes

So the new mj beds are like 19 ft x 3 ft. Big. They will be ready to go on Sunday. Y’all recommend me putting clover in there and I have another chamomile plant I was going to throw in there? If yes on the clover, should I chop it down before it flowers then reseed the clover until mj planting time? I just want to bring this new soil to life

EDIT: I also have some marigolds I could throw in there if that is a good idea

3 Likes

Ya ya can do it both ways IMO if ya chop it down it will be considered a “green” manure and will decompose feeding the microbes along the way if ya let it grow there’s always going to be that diversity thing going in for ya and it will provide N in your soil and help break up any compact soil way down deep or ya can trim back and alow it to grow and maybe get the best of both worlds.

3 Likes

Always a beneficial plant imo helps with pest control and makes for nice cut flowers

4 Likes

I was going to throw some marigold seeds in when I plant the cannabis, but I could strategically place a few now so I wouldn’t have to dig them up when I put in the plants… I also have a few other types of marigolds started near the trellis.

My only worry with the clover is that it will spread all over the backyard if I let it flower. The yellow kind I have now is already a weed. lol Maybe just trim the stuff down enough so it doesn’t flower and spread seed all over and outside of the 2 planters?

3 Likes

Winner winner chicken dinner!

3 Likes

A little vid for your viewing pleasure!

4 Likes

@Tinytuttle that’s some interesting info right there. It also led me to a how to clear a crop in no till and prepare it for new stuff. Thanks Man!

@MomOnTheRun So, the Enthuse foliar they want me to do tonight says 2 oz to 1 gallon of water. This is based on 1000 sq ft? Does that sound crazy to you? I guess I should do this one with the hand sprayer instead of the hose type then right? That is gonna be one seriously light mist.

2 Likes