Backyard soil rejuvenation project

https://s3.wp.wsu.edu/uploads/sites/403/2015/03/gypsum.pdf

If you have clay maybe but apparently not always.

3 Likes

Right! @GMan is in Texas I believe and has weathered and clay soil. On the bottom it states that itā€™s especially effective on his geographic location. But yeah it says sandy soil is no bueno

2 Likes

Iā€™m in Southern Colorado these days. Texas was temporary. Itā€™s only a measure better here. I need to do the aeration thing and condition the dead spots at least. I have a good concentrate full of bio/bacto and itā€™s supposed to condition it as well. I havenā€™t tried it yet. It was given to me at the grow supply/landscaping place. No water is the hardest part. Keeping it moist continuously is almost impossible. Getting it back in balance will be key. Get some life in it and it will retain moisture better, too.

2 Likes

So, Iā€™m completely losing my mind over these bugs. Really really upset. Is it a really bad idea if I put spinosad in my hose end sprayer and literally saturate fucking everything? Or should I use the hand sprayer? I have a lot of ground to cover and I was thinking this way I could spray down all of the mulch as well? Thoughts?

3 Likes

If its concentrated iā€™d put it in the hose sprayer though if its ready to use that will dilute it so it would be safer to hand spray. Ofc, you want to spray everything including the mulch though concentrate more on the underside of leaves

1 Like

Itā€™s a concentrate. I posted a new thread on diatemaceous earth. Maybe people have insight on this. I can go buy an industrial size bag if need be too. I just donā€™t think any of the plants can take another night of bug assault.

1 Like

Goodā€¦DE is great to cut them lil bastards up though unfortunately it becomes all clumpy and pretty useless once it gets wet

1 Like

F*****************k! Just read that it kills bees too! May as well go tried and true evil malathion if Iā€™m gonna kill bees. UGH! Hope the spinosad works tonight. Crossing my fingers. Maybe Iā€™ll spray plants with spinosad AND sprinkle DE on all of the mulch lol Donā€™t think bees are gonna be in the mulch much

3 Likes

Used half a damn bottle of monterey concentrate. Sprayed all the plants and the ground. Everywhere except the shade planters cuz I donā€™t seem to have a problem back there and the grass. Iā€™m still not convinced itā€™s gonna kill them. Maybe if they try to bite something they will. Gonna buy a huge bag of DE tmw and put it on the ground and soil when everything is dry again. Iā€™ll find out tmw I guess cuz they eat everything at night. They seem to hide in the bark mulch, the grass, under pots and in this leafy area in back of the garage. Iā€™m in fucking tears right now. They ate a sunflower and more marigolds that were starting to establish. Already took out all of my lemon basil and are eating the nasturtiums.

2 Likes

What sort of bugs are they? Sounds nasty. Beetles?

1 Like

Earwigs aka pincher bugs

1 Like

Wow, I didnā€™t know they ate plantsā€¦ I see them occasionally or something that looks like them. Small and usually in the compost.

Man, I wouldnā€™t know where to begin with them. I really never heard of them being an issue. I hope you get it. Itā€™s still pretty early and maybe you can recover for the season!

Best vibes sent!

peace

2 Likes

I looked them up and thatā€™s the same as here. It may be what was eating holes in my plants last year. I never noticed any large numbers. I better keep an eye on those buggers.

Have you tried any of the home remedies? Sounds like you already have way too many now. There a few tips on this page I foundā€¦ Putting out soy sauce is fatal to them, and a jar with some molasses will trap them and they canā€™t get out of it. And, wet newspapers. The bugs want to explore the newspaper but canā€™t find their way out. How to Get Rid of Earwigs (aka Pincher Bugs)

I suppose youā€™re sick of this stuff. Sorry if you already knew of it. Sometimes it takes a combination of everything to hit them hard! Thereā€™s also the flame thrower method from above, but weā€™d hate to see you on TV.

:thinking:

3 Likes

Wonder if boric acid and sugar would do the trick ?

3 Likes

Tractor Supply is the cheapest I found. Not sure they have many of them in LA tho.lol

2 Likes

Haha! Not a chance! I couldnā€™t find anywhere that sold cattle panels either when I was looking. Thereā€™s just no farmland around here

1 Like

In Norco, just north of Corona, about 20 minutes east of you thereā€™s a ā€˜TSCā€™ :wink:

A bit further is:

(east of Riverside)
https://www.allseasonshay.com/products

And hereā€™s something that might interest you:

http://celosangeles.ucanr.edu/

https://ucanr.edu/blogs/CooperativeExtensionConnection/

:evergreen_tree:

1 Like

Okay Norco is like a 2 hour drive actually same with Riverside. Wonder if they deliver? lol

I am gonna check out those classes for sure!!!

2 Likes

Oh damn! LA traffic or what? 20 miles here is 15 minutes without traffic(or cops)ā€¦ :confused:

Sheeeeeiiit. Sorry. :blush: OK 60 milesā€¦der I get it.

:evergreen_tree:

2 Likes

Los angeles is 20 miles from here already. Iā€™m at the ocean

1 Like