Backyard soil rejuvenation project

7 hours later and everything is still blocked off for about 1 sq mile. Glen’s house is basically a straight shot on that main street to my house. He had to go all the way around to get here. He texted me after he went to work about 40 mins ago saying he had to take all kinds of crazy routes to get to his job which is basically a mile west of where the shooting happened. It has been all over every news channel for hours now. A man with an assault rifle chased his woman through a Marriot hotel then across the street to the shopping center where he open fired on the cops. So they are still probably trying to find all the rifle bullets. The perp got shot and a cop they are both alive. Don’t care about the shooter, but I’m glad the cop is okay. This was a pretty bad incident. We have shit happen around here all the time, but usually doesn’t make the news.

2 Likes

So today in the backyard, Dad and I cleared out the side of the planter so no weeds would start inching into the new mj bed and we embedded some cool stepping stones in front of the planters in the exact spots the plants are gonna be, so I will have a perfect spot to stand on whenever I need to work on any of the soon to be cannabis plants. It came out really good and actually looks like they have always been there. It got wet along that pathway so I’ll take pics of them once it dries and I can sweep the area and it looks presentable. I am thrilled with how good it looks back there compared to last year!

6 Likes

Looks like I’m gonna plant a few more seeds of the French Vanilla Hybrid Marigolds. They are pretty sparse. Looks like a few spots either didn’t come up or critters got them. Still no sign of the amaranth. Funny, I haven’t been rooting for them either cuz I want more room for cannabis. lol Greedy stoner here! I feel like I may have not strewn enough clover in the new planter. Barely a few spots with green… Any rule of thumb on qty of seeds per sq ft?

Also, I had a miniature rose bush that Glen gave me for Valentine’s day like 3 years ago. It was in my kitchen window for 2 years getting uglier and uglier and wouldn’t flower. I planted it in the cutting garden in the fall. It is now thriving with masses of healthy leaves and is forming a few roses again. :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

Don’t we all? I don’t want to shut down my cabinets though need to… at least 3 of the 5 for the summer as they finish up. Having a hard time deciding which though and about ready to flip a coin :stuck_out_tongue:

Some take a bit to get going though once they do, they grow pretty darn fast. As far as sq ft, its like 1/2oz per 35 sq ft

4 Likes

It’s all good then, I sprinkled a small handful here and there. I’ll practice my patience.

3 Likes

So gale force winds have jacked up my whole garden. There is straw fucking everywhere! I can’t tell where the rows are for my flower sprouts anymore. I thought the tomatoes were completely screwed, but I was able to check them now that I am home and it appears that they were just wrapped around themselves. Can’t find much breakage, thank dog for small favors. Apparently, the pincher bugs don’t give a flying fuck about neem, cuz they destroyed more of my sprouts. I can’t even bother to try gathering straw, replanting or trying to fix my rows until the wind is gone. Supposedly by this evening. I am so bummed and frustrated I feel like crying. Fuck those bugs, I’m trying spinosad next, if that doesn’t work I’m resorting to really fucked up chemicals. I didn’t do all this work to have it destroyed. :anguished: :angry::cry:

5 Likes

Sorry to hear of your woes @Meesh maybe try one of these in those damn bugs!

Just don’t hit your house with it though!

4 Likes

Okay, I tied some of the tomatoes to the trellis. Not sure if it will help or hurt with them getting whipped around by this wind. I was just out back trying to hold back tears. Composted anything with dirt that didn’t sprout and a few left over plants that I never planted. Didn’t have the heart to kill them exactly, so compost. lol I moved all my other flats with seedlings over to where the new mj babies are as for some reason they all lived through the wind even @cannabissequoia cherry berry white finally sprouted overnight. Last but not least.
@MomOnTheRun I have a inferno drench tomorrow, but need to replant some seeds. If I plant them then do a soil drench right after will it screw up the seeds from germinating?

@Tinytuttle Seriously though! Frustration and despair, my friend. Frustration and despair

I’ll have to fix all this shit tomorrow after wind is gone. Mother Nature is being such a Bitch to me! Waaaaaaaa!

4 Likes

Not at all as its just fish emulsion = nitrogen

4 Likes

The best things are worth waiting for… :sunglasses:

:evergreen_tree:

3 Likes

Just watched a video on growing tomatoes. I just learned that most tomato diseases can be prevented my pruning everything that could be near the ground. I’m gonna prune the crap outta them tomorrow. Oh and adding aspirin 1 crushed up tablet per gallon helps build resistance to fungal diseases. Hand pollinate for bigger yield using a battery operated toothbrush or your vibrator :joy::joy:

7 Likes

Dang, now i have to come back and read from Feb 2 where I thought i set my notification for this thread but didn’t. Sorry I missed it all. I went through a lot of that while in west Texas for 6 years. I was going to PM you once and ask if that’s where you were. Now I see different. The back yards look like my neighborhood.

Happy growing! I’ll try and catch up,

peace

2 Likes

Did the video mention LITFA? :joy:

My practice is to remove the first 8 to 10 trusses(“nodes”) because the fruit there is early & sub-par, and the airflow, and the buggies.

Also trying to thin to single fruit per cluster. :thumbsup:

:evergreen_tree:

5 Likes

Just waking up. My housekeeper is here today which forces me to get my butt out into the garden and out of her hair. Coffee power first, then I’m gonna try to fix the mess from the wind

3 Likes

Best vibes! Sounds like here. I tried planting some grass seed recently because our drought last year took a toll on my tiny front yard. The wind scours the grass along with any topsoil leaving me with rock hard spots. Lots of clay, too.

I put straw down and tried to keep it moist continually but the wind beat me down and I gave up for now. Some spots will be what they are until I can anchor down a cover to leave for a few weeks and try again. It’s just so dry, it’s a constant battle. If I can get the grass reestablished it’ll all be much easier to maintain.

The good side is the straw that blew away is in other areas now and the grass loves it and is thriving! lol

2 Likes

You ought to try cloning a tomato sucker I hear it can be done pretty easily.

2 Likes

Well, I pruned the tomatoes, did the first fish emulsion drench. Replanted more gomphrena seeds and more marigold seeds that the pincher bugs ate. Raked up the straw that was all over the yard. Funny it wasn’t enough to fill back in the spots that blew away. One of my neighbors is gonna have a big straw mess. lol I got a few new big cheap containers and planted a boatload of garlic chives and spearmint in them, put them at the edge of the new mj beds for more bug control later. Can’t seem to get the English Lavender to sprout, I just need to figure out where I really want it as it gets pretty big unlike the white lacy frills one I got to sprout and put in the cinder blocks. I’m gonna try sowing it direct this time. The creeping thyme I started is pretty darn big now and is still in the starter pots. I haven’t seen one bite on it from bugs, maybe I’ll plant it next to the new stepping stones I planted and it will creep along the dirt in the very front of the new planters and maybe it will deter those fuckers too. Oh, the biggest Dahlia still with it’s completely shredded leaves decided to say screw you to the pincher bugs as well and have a flower forming. I think the smaller ones that were completely eaten probably won’t, but time will tell. Something is popping up in my shade garden. I think it is the chinese ground orchids. :grinning:

3 Likes

Maybe some Gypsum would help breaking down that clay. Maybe google search it and see if it can be used in grassy areas.

Just did a quick looksie they sell some specifically for lawns :relaxed:

2 Likes

I hadn’t heard of that before. I definitely have to do something to it. Thanks

1 Like

Yeah it works as a soil conditioner.