Backyard soil rejuvenation project

Plant those plants that feed ladybugs provide a good food source for them they’ll stay around longer! Iv had an idea in the plans for quit awhile now is to build some bug hotels beautiful and useful at the same time something like these!

6 Likes

There are no more fields or anything that collect water. They have long killed off any frogs that were here. It’s very congested and overbuilt now. If anything we have a very small few protected wetlands here that are left, but I don’t think they would look kindly on me stealing frogs or toads lol I could buy some at the pet store or something but I don’t exactly have a backyard conducive to them sticking around, plus there is Jezebel and my cat. Not sure they would last too long with my furbeasts on the loose.

4 Likes

That’s cool. I see ladybugs now and then. They love the aphids on the rose bushes!

3 Likes

I forgot to mention I went to Target today and bought a flour sifter for baking. It’s gonna help tremendously in laying down the DE. The bag came with this tiny little puffer thing, but it it for very small areas. Took me like 2 hours to puff if over the whole veg patch and planters. Just wasn’t practical. Especially when I have to reapply after every watering if I want to stay diligent. Just need everything dead before the mj seedlings are ready for planting. Once they are big enough, it will be much harder for these particular bugs to destroy them.

3 Likes

So I’ve decided to stagger waterings between planters only then veggie patch another day, then I will have less DE to reapply at once. So far no new damage is evident. Dahlia flower is almost open. Today there are a multitude of Ranunculus flower shoots. The first of the Zinnia flowers are almost open as well. I forgot to mention the Stock that I wasn’t sure was gonna flower has been flowering for some time. Very small plants though. They got trampled by the dog a few times and leaves were eaten by bugs so they look kind of odd, but still flowers! Been moving the potted plants around so the fuckwigs can’t hide under them. Dwarf phlox is starting to form flowers also. The Lemon Basil I had to restart has sprouted. The Dutch white clover in the mj beds however has not sprouted. I think it’s been 2 weeks. I had seen little patches of green at one point, but it’s gone. Guess I should throw a few new small handfuls out there.

Oh and note to self… Ranunculus like lots and lots of water

1 Like

A few plant shots

Tiger’s eye violas

First Psychedelic Spring Viola

Stock

Ranunculus forming

Dwarf phlox forming

9 Likes

Woo hooo! Sounds like you may be past the worst part. The flowers look great!

peace

3 Likes

Like @Calyxander I can’t stop planting seeds.:wink: Aside from 5 cannabis seeds (details in my outdoor grow log), I planted more lavender (damn it, I will succeed), Carnations, Oregano, More Crasapedia (only had one successful seedling, they like to be drier), A few shade plant seeds Lobelia and Impatiens (although noticed late they are pelleted, here we go again) that probably won’t sprout.

Direct sowed a couple Shasta Daisy seeds in the planter by my prized Lilac bush as there is mostly bulbs in there. It needs a perennial. I had planted bare roots of these in the fall, they never took. Unfortunately, from seed these plants take a year to flower. Eh… they will be inline with the painted daisy and echinacea I planted from seed. Next year…

4 Likes

Well, if you can figure out a way to germinate Lavender and Impatiens let me know…lol

I have tried 2 attempts at each and absolutely zero luck… faaking gardening…lol. Maybe some things aren’t meant to be…

Peace
DaFozz

4 Likes

I got one English lavender to germinate then I accidentally killed the tiny sucker watering it! UGH! So far I am 0 - 7 of pelleted seed germination. I didn’t notice when I bought the impatien seeds or I wouldn’t have bought them. If someone knows how to germ a fricken pelleted seed with some trick I would love to know that!

I did get another type of Lavender called Lacy Frills to sprout. It is white and a great deal smaller than the English, probably doesn’t smell either, but the bugs so far won’t touch it. :grin:

6 Likes

got these chives. I love chives. I have tried for years to grow chives. Never any luck.

Bought and planted seed over a week ago. Nothing has come up yet and I’ve been keeping it moist. Not one single little narrow leaf.

So naturally they are pelletized.

3 Likes

I had seen some at my local Home Depot store (lavender)for like 3-4$ for like a 6 inch pot thoughts had started flowing through my head thinking I could maybe propagate it pretty easy just looks like one of those plants it could be done with.

3 Likes

Iv never worked with pelletized seeds before was wondering if they are to be buried or just thrown on top of the soil?

2 Likes

@Olbrannon tried to germ garlic chives. Non pelletized and got one tiny blade in the starter pot. Said screw it got a big pot and spread the rest of the pack in there. I’ll let you know if they come up. Lol

3 Likes

@Tinytuttle I rarely see the English type, usually it’s the decorative lavender here. Found some years back. Think it was in the summer too

3 Likes

When they say Mammoth sunflower they aren’t kidding. Grown exponentially since bug attack! Those leaves are Huge!

7 Likes

No holes in the new leaves! Awesome.

If nothing else maybe you scared the hell out them with all of the things you were breaking out on them, heh. Probably over in the neighbors yard.

3 Likes

Well, I keep moving the potted plants around they keep hiding under them. They burrow under the ground too, like ants. I sprinkled DE all over those spots. Wonder how long it takes for them to die? They just seem to be staying off the plants. It was probably the spinosad more than the DE at this point. I think the DE takes time. Either way, if I can beat them back enough for all the plants to get taller, I’ll be in business!

3 Likes

Just did a liquid fish foliar out back. I didn’t spray the Nasturtiums cuz they don’t really like nutes, but I did spray the Wisteria that hates everything. We’ll see if all the leaves fall off tomorrow. lol

Also found MORE fuckwigs under the potted plants despite moving them and applying DE for a few days in a row. Got completely pissed and sprinkled Sevin under all of them and in the dahlia planters. Not in the veggie patch. That’s last resort. Not as bummed putting ugly shit on the lawn and flower beds. I however did not sprinkle the actual plants with it. Just on the soil.

Every time I use pesticides or liquids (even safe ones) of any sort, despite all the protective gear, I feel like it’s on my skin and I start tingling. I am positive it is all in my head, but I have to shower and completely loofah after anyways. haha

2 Likes

Don’t see any dead fuckwigs after laying down the sevin. Hopefully they died underground, but I did find 2 dead grub worms on top of the soil where a pot used to be.

3 Likes