Backyard soil rejuvenation project

Thank you very much! Stayed home all day and played in the yard. As in pulling weeds, trimming raspberries, cleaning out the garden area… Watering my rock hard dirt front yard… actually, it’s only a few spots now. I’ve been watering for about a month after I planted some seed.

Only sporadic seedlings can be seen. It’s too hard to keep it moist 27/7. But I think it’s slowly filling in. The other grass is starting to grow again, too, so it helps the seeds stay more shaded and moist. Most of my straw blew into piles so I have to keep re applying what I can. I’m ahead of the game this year, though.

peace

4 Likes

Happy Birthday!!! Sounds like an excellent way to spend it…much better than anticipating Santa around mine :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

:smile: Some kids get it really bad with birthdays on Dec 23rd…etc. A friend’s kid has one May 6 & I predict ‘much juvenile drinking’ (cinco de drinko)… any day close to an overwhelming holiday sucks but there’s non-distracting parallel holidays that boost the festivity. :wink:

I’m cool with August. Got to party thoroughly & use the toys before school began. :thumbsup:

[sigh]

Now the parties & toys are all gone. :thinking:

:evergreen_tree:

3 Likes

Found out why the Dutch White Clover isn’t coming up. Found bird beak holes through the entire new mj planter today. Suckers! Gonna have to make a cardboard cut-out of Jezebel as a scarecrow. lol

3 Likes

Any chance you have some sort of fabric you could drape over it to get them up? Maybe once they get started they won’t eat them. Smart birds, huh?

peace

2 Likes

First Ranunculus

First Zinnia… pinwheel I believe

Dwarf phlox… few flowers now

Sweet peas

Artichoke been near death many times, keeps coming back but won’t flower

Cantaloupe finally starting new leaves after bug attack

Birdhouses…spring back after bug attack

Cilantro…a happy herb

8 Likes

Is Jezebel cat-friendly?

Betty wants a kittybutt reeeal bad but I’m confused about how to cultivate a dog-friendly cat. :thinking: We had a feral that was super-nice & RIPed a couple of years ago; they were best buddies…now the neighbor’s dog passed away & the other dog-friends are moving away in a month. The dog has made it clear I’m not good enough. :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Good suggestion though clover needs light to germinate sooooo how about a painters drop cloth? They are like $2-3.00 for a 4x8 sheet of clear 2-3 mil plastic in most store’s paint area

Such a pretty garden coming along very nicely with lots of color :heart_eyes: Great work Meesh!

4 Likes

@cannabissequoia Yes! Jezebel has a cat, Sonny. I got him as a kitten, for some reason dog’s usually tolerate baby anything. Took about 2 days and Sonny thought she was his Mom. Also, I just wasn’t having any nonsense from her period. She had no choice but accept the cat. They love each other.

@MomOnTheRun I don’t find sprouting clover that much of a biggie. I have a huge bag of seed, I think a few will eventually elude birds. If not, I’ll roll with your plan b. lol Thanks for the compliment on my garden!

6 Likes

They make fabric covers for sprouting new grass seed. It lets the light and moisture through but protects the sprouts from hot sun and wind. I have one here, I’ll find it and take a pic.

peace

5 Likes

I think I’m gonna up pot the fem and reg seeds out there a few times before I plant in the beds. I’m so worried about bugs now, I want them to be big enough to survive and/or taller so bugs have a hard time taking them out. So as long as some clover makes it in in a few weeks it should be okay. Although, I would prefer the bed be more alive now. Although I do have one lone chamomile in the bed.

5 Likes

First dahlia

8 Likes

:nose: :thinking:
…must be LA…
you got powder everywhere :grin:

2 Likes

Hahahaha! Hey, it’s not the 80’s, Man! I did throw down something a little more evil than the DE. Unfortunately, I’ve been paranoid and watching and shooing my pets clear of it since. It did kill a lot of those fuckwigs and I found a few dead grub worms here and there too. Haven’t seen too much new damage, so far. You should see the actual photo of that Dahlia’s leaves… It’s a skeleton with a pretty flower.

3 Likes

GMan - I call it burlap. Works like a charm.

4 Likes

This week’s to do garden list… Dig up the new bermuda grass that is encroaching in the veggie patch. Been keeping up on weeds, but the grass is a bitch. Change out the earwig traps. Stake the Mammoth Sunflowers now while they are a foot and a half tall so they don’t get pissed later. Hack the shit out of the tomato plants. They are bushy and out of control. Also, another humus soil drench on thursday to stay on schedule with soil rejuvenation.

Found one tiny chive sprouted. One. :unamused: I dumped the whole damn seed pack in there this time. I planted these and a big pot of spearmint at the same time… and one damn chive. Let’s go seeds. In the starters, I see a crasapedia coming up. These are drumstick flowers if y’all aren’t familiar with the formal name. So far I only have one that has lived since the greenhouse run. One died from too much water I think. I’ve been leaving the one that survived really dry and it seems fine. It is an oversensitive one. Anywho, I want at least 2 more of these plants. This is one that I’ve really been excited about growing. Same with the Gomphrena in the veggie patch, but only like 2 or 3 came up (I planted 5 or 6 out there) and survived bug attack. It will still be really pretty.

Edit: Meant to note, the artichoke plant responded favorably to the last liquid fish foliar. That damn thing is the healthiest plant out there now. So give me a damn artichoke! I’ve had this thing since last fall.

5 Likes

I been keeping the soil moist and not one blade of chives…I dunno what it is…I’m not gonna buy any more pelletized seed.

2 Likes

Yeah, that works fine. They make white cloths that might help with too much heat build up. Little grass seedlings die fast in blazing southern sun. Or high altitude.

peace

3 Likes

These chives weren’t even pelleted. Thought herbs were supposed to germ easily. The impatiens are though and no sign of them and probably never will be.

1 Like

So, my lone chive sprout was taken by birds I guess. lol Today I staked the Mammoths, pruned and tied the tomatoes again and dug out bermuda grass from part of the veggie patch. It gets really pretty too as I’m allergic to something in the garden, not only am I sweating, but I end up with snot running down my face endlessly. If I were to stop and deal with tissue I wouldn’t get anything done. It’s a scary and disgusting sight. lol If we all had a personal hell, mine would be endlessly digging out bermuda grass only to have it grow right back. Wait… Where am I? :fire::imp:

3 Likes