Backyard soil rejuvenation project

Yes @GMan I forget that one can just buy already started plants. lol Since I am a seed junkie. I suppose they can come up by themselves, but I’m not sure how likely it is. I bought only 1 zinnia at the end of summer last year. It finished flowering and promptly died so I threw it in the compost. Nothing popped up in that spot, but I have since planted Gladiolas there.

2 Likes

Birdhouse gourd growing little trellis grabbing tendrils now.

9 Likes

In one day the birdhouse gourd tendrils have stretched about 2 feet and have grabbed onto and latched around the trellis. The leaves are as huge as the mammoth sunflowers. Didn’t realize the leaves were gonna be this gosh darn big! I’m really gonna need to prune back the tomatoes or I won’t be able to walk through the arch they are way past their side and apparently the gourds are monsters too.

It’s been a rough weekend, big gatherings for our beloved friend Scotty and grief is a tricky mofo. My man is really hard to deal with right now as he is grieving heavily and quite honestly being a completely selfish prick. I get it, he’s way out of sorts and just not himself, trying to be patient, but he has gotten under my skin more in this last week than he has in the last 5 years. Breathe, Breathe, Breathe. Love is patient, Love is kind… blah blah blah. There is no app for throat punch. I checked. lol

6 Likes

Hacked the shit outta my tomato plants. No idea if I did it right, but they were out of control. Opened them up some for more light. They will need more pruning, but I don’t want to do too much at once. I wasn’t really worried as I know they will just keep growing. I don’t really need to tie them much now. They seem to be weaving in and out through the trellis. Kinda chopped all the giant stems that were encroaching to the center of the arches so I can get to everything and gave the cilantro in between them more light by pruning. The cilantro doesn’t seem to care that they were super shaded though. It’s getting really big too and looks delish. Bugs really don’t like cilantro, I’ve noticed.

7 Likes

Yeah, those tomatoes will tell you what they want to do and what you don’t want them to. Ha. I can’t wait to get at mine. 3 weeks at least…

4 Likes

New type of Cosmo flowering. Not sure how I feel about them. Way smaller seemingly dwarf. Leaves are different too

7 Likes

The trellis

Double Tiger Lilies

One of the planters

6 Likes

So, if you guys were gonna experiment with seabird guano in your container flowers, how would you go about making a tea? Ratio wise? Meaning I prefer to soak the powder in water then dilute and water into my container flowers…

Whhat do you think @Tinytuttle or @Sunvalley?

2 Likes

Never used it before I’d say maybe a couple cups per five gallons mixed in a bucket stirred a couple times a day and in 3-4 days throw it in a water can with the spray head taken off , it might plug up otherwise I’m thinking. Then use it as a soil drench

2 Likes

Then I would dilute from there at maybe 10 to 1? Maybe I should start lighter with the initial brew just in case?

2 Likes

I’d think you be alright with a direct water what’s the N % on seabird poo?

1 Like

it’s 0-10-0 I believe

There has been so much going on lately and I haven’t been able to spend any real time in the garden. So, today I took a break from my man and got back to digging up grass and weeds in the planters. Realized that all my plants were starting to wilt so spent hours doing a deep watering on the front and back. Dug up a couple rows of green onions. Nom Nom Leaving them on top of the dirt for 2 days as that’s what you are supposed to do with bulb veggies before you eat them. Didn’t get a chance to do another spinosad application yet. Just wiped out today, I’ll hit everything tmw at sundown.

2 Likes

We only get liquid sea bird guano here and haven’t used it on years… from what I remember was good for veg as it was high Nitrogen stuff… should be a good boost to add to a tea

4 Likes

Zinnias

Out of control monster cherry tomatoes

Cantaloupe

Birdhouse gourd

Monster artichoke with no damn artichoke

Nasturtiums

Container Alpines giving me a few strawberries

6 Likes

It works well as a tea. I have a bag of powder and it’s an odd ratio, 12-10-3 by Buried Treasure Peruvian Seabird. It was on the clearance rack. It’s good if you want to boost them while flowering and seemed to work better than expected with that high N level.

I also use a Roots Organics Seabird Guano and it’s straight 0-12-0. It’s perfect for a pure flowering tea. It has 20% calcium, too. It suggest brewing it for 24 to 48 hours. You can use it without burn worry.
The garden is looking awesome. My tomatoes are only 4 day old seedlings, lol. I’m beginning to wonder if we are going to get a summer, heh. It’s slowly easing into it I guess. Much more rain than normal so it makes preparation slow.

Enjoy the plants!

peace

3 Likes

Hey Meesh, I just see again your Guano is 0-10-0. You can use it at anytime. It’ll help in flowering. I would brew it for a day or two for best results.

peace

1 Like

I meant to get the tea started on Sunday, but I ran out of steam. Maybe I’ll start it today. Most of my container flowers could use a boost about now. I’ve read that kelp reacts nicely with guano and molasses. I’m gonna need to buy some molasses, never used that before either. All this organic stuff is new to me, but really exciting to try.

3 Likes

I stoked out a few of my neighbors yesterday and passed out some of my green onions. Quite a few of them have lived here forever and used to get tons of veggies from my Gramps. Guess I’m taking over where he left off. I love giving my stuff away. lol

3 Likes

Very cool!

The molasses is for feeding the microbes more than anything else. Plus it has beneficial components as well.

Get you some myco/bacto mix and use it every now and then. The microbes are the main key to organic growing. They make all of the minerals and nutrients available to the plants where they cant can’t break them down on their own. It’s a symbiotic relationship.

I always dust my root balls or the new space they go into, with Myco/Bacto mix. I use Roots Organics “Oregonism”. A 4 ounce pack goes a long way. Then I’ll give them a tea of it a couple more times throughout the life.

If the plants start looking stressed, a good bacto tea with some molasses and a little humic acid and kelp if you have it, will perk up the microbe community and make the nutrient uptake more efficient. It’s all about keeping the rootball happy.

Once you start getting a grasp on the larger picture of the organic circle it starts becoming more intuitive. I’m new to it for only a few years or so and it’s exciting to me. I can finally know that I’m not hurting the earth with chemicals anymore and promoting a more healthy environment for us all to enjoy.

Have fun with it. I find it super interesting. Natures ways are always interesting.

peace

4 Likes