Backyard soil rejuvenation project

so many choices is right. (see LITFA in case of emergency) :smile:

my non-qualified choice would be all the clovers because they’re nice & innoffensive(except bur clover)…they won’t be annoying if they spread, imo.

the cowpeas/black-eyed peas is one i tried simply because i got bag for a buck at the grocery store…as a no-till cover crop last year.

and finally alfalfa i’ve wanted to try. not so much the vetch but MendoDope seems to have a lot around.

“i’m stoned. i’m outta here…” :zzz:

:evergreen_tree:

2 Likes

I was under the idea that the alfalfa was the priciest. I’d rather go cheaper if I can

Also, how many red wigglers should I buy to make mincemeat of all that compost?

I like this mix really reasonably priced then you don’t have to buy 8-12 different varieties diversity is important ,different seeds/plants bring more diversity to the soil matrix and thus more and different microbes!

1 Like

I think I will only need a 1/2 pound. Umm 20’ x 20’ = 400 sq ft… says a pound covers 900 sq ft. This sound correct?

1 Like

That sounds good as long as there something to hang out in and eat they will multiply like mad gor you !

1 Like

I meant on the cover crop 1/2 lb covers 400 ft… still don’t know how many worms I should start with.

1 Like

I wouldn’t think you would need anymore than a pound of red wigglers as far as cover crop seed I like to plant a nice bunch in my pots guess it all depends what your eventually going to grow your cannabis as well but it benefits the cannabis on every grow cycle you do also!

1 Like

Right now it’s just for the compost for next years veggies. MJ beds will be a whole separate project… I have more side planters just for those

1 Like

Good link and website!

https://www.unconventionalfarmsupply.com/cover-crops

2 Likes

Finished the first of my flower cutting garden. Dug out and turned the soil added some fresh bag soil, some steer manure and bone meal. Planted approx 300 flower bulbs, tulips, irises, giant allium, freesia, and daffodils. Working on another planter now for some lilies and other fancy flowers for the border of the veggie patch. Been turning and watering about half of the veggie patch that is now a giant compost. Still need worms. My cover crop is on the way and I still have a bunch of soil to till in there. I’m considering biting the bullet and renting some kind of tiller and just getting it done. It’s a lot of work for 1 person. I’m going slowly but surely by hand, but dayummm! lol I want to get that cover crop going. The special mj planters still need to be dug out and I was hoping to have the cover crop going and the compost covered in plastic to cook by the time I need to start that. I still have naked planters that will need to be dealt with eventually, but that might be next years fall project.

3 Likes

I’ve had good luck with Jobe’s from Walmart. Mom used it in her garden.

1 Like

Fun stuff in the mail today!

4 Likes

Is the clay still causing you problems, or has that been taken care of?

1 Like

Well, it actually has a slightly sandy element to it. So far I’ve only been planting flower beds right now and have added a bunch of new soil and composted manure to them. Time will tell on the veggie patch. Half of it is a compost at this point. I’ve decided to rent a rototiller within the next week or two, till it and plant this cover crop. We’ll see what happens come spring when the compost is cooked and the veggies are planted. So far the soil seems to break up pretty good. As a matter of fact I suppose I will find out everything come spring if all my flowers bloom. lol What I do know is that the nitrogen is depleted, cover crop should fix that and I believe it said it breaks up clay soil as well.

2 Likes

Should I throw some perlite in my flower beds? Would that help with drainage and my clay soil?

1 Like

i’d say no…b/c perlite smashes into sand over time. maybe more chunky humus bits? i.e. wood mat’l?

dunno. if it’s only a small spot with a clay-ey-ness :thumbsup: then maybe use some of your sandy dirt?

fwiw, i compost my old perlite-y soil so it won’t hurt…just not the best investment for a yard soil.

there’s this nasty stuff called “hardpan” all over my area.

funny…the article doesn’t mention dynamite. :thinking:

:evergreen_tree:

1 Like

I have a book that talks about the density of clay being affected by ionic imbalances, or something like that. I didn’t quite understand, but the takeaway was that gypsum and ag lime good, dolomite/sweet lime bad. Magnesium makes clay worse.

I have only been able to try it out once, but in a side by side test it made a huge difference.

Cover crops are dope

3 Likes

@Meesh

I’m pretty sure Our Lady @MomOnTheRun can tell us all “how it’s done” here. :smile: All you need is the missing link mineral and microbes, evidently. And patience. And a rototiller! haha :tractor:

@fishdude
i may have read the same author… calcium good :thought_balloon:

:evergreen_tree: baked the eloquence right out of this one

5 Likes

@Meesh I wouldn’t bother adding drainage amendments to native soil like that over time with good soil practices your soil will start aggregating with all the microbes and fungi in the soil and be crumbly like the consistency of rinsed cottage cheese which will drain perfectly and have nice aeration in time !

3 Likes