Backyard soil rejuvenation project

No actually it’s the same compound… Hints fertilizer (boom) same thing trust me. Worked in the mines where we used it. :wink:

2 Likes

OMG lol There are many ways to accomplish the goal of building up soil and off to a great start… 7 yrs ago, I left a 4x8 sheet of OSB on top of a sandy area meaning to move it well a couple yrs later, I finally went to move it but it was rotting out so I left it. The following year, I piled up a bunch of leaves on top of it to help it decompose faster. Shortly after the weeds moved in, grass started growing to take over. Now I have a nice patch of grass in that area… In this case, my laziness was a great thing lol I do not recommend doing it this way as it took 4 yrs, the ground is not level and could have went faster if cardboard was laid down to decompose instead.

To truly find out what is needed, get a soil test done though since its just grass, could easily fill in the holes like whats being done and mix in some topsoil for an even covering then pile grass clippings on top to decompose adding in nutrients the grass likes…its not an overnight fix though totally possible with patience

5 Likes

Rented a rototiller today and tilled the whole back yard. Veggie patch, tilled in some manure and threw down the cover crop. Also, tilled a bunch of flower beds. It’s funny how much what looks like a huge field of dirt is making me so happy right now. Really kicked ass out there!

7 Likes

I forgot to mention that the entire patch past the little fencing is a giant compost pile as well. All the leaves, grass and organic matter was tilled into the soil today as well. With some worms and the cover crop coming in, it’s gonna be a mighty fine patch of soil!

In the front of the patch, you can see in the pic, there was grass along that strip. So I tilled it out so that I can find the edges of the pavers again. I am considering planting some sort of ornamentals there instead of grass to outline the walkway and the veggie patch, then maybe putting some of that plastic edging there.

4 Likes

Well, chased off about 5 crows this morning rooting around eating the seeds of my cover crop. Hope some have hidden themselves and it actually grows in.

3 Likes

plastic bird netting(aka deer netting/bloclker) is about 15$ for 7’x100’ roll.
cover the area & raise it off the ground with sticks.

:thumbsup:

:evergreen_tree:

3 Likes

Looking good @Meesh starting with a blank canvass and soon you’ll have a beautiful masterpiece before you! Can’t wait to see how it turns out!

3 Likes

I actually see some little sprouts out there already. Looks like the crows didn’t get them all…yet! Love the blank canvas! I have oodles of gorgeous plants and flowers coming in the mail within the next few weeks for the flower beds. I even found a lilac bush that has been bred to flower in my zone! I can’t believe it! My favorite flower finally in my own back yard. Of course it will take a few years to grow in and establish, but come spring I have 400 bulbs under that black fenced in area that are gonna bloom! Super excited for spring! can’t wait to start veggies in the giant compost patch and see life and flowers back there! Not to mention the beautiful special marijuana beds I’m gonna set-up.

7 Likes

Do I need to do anything besides throw the red wigglers in the dirt? Will they just munch up all the dead leaves, grass and such in the dirt? Or do they need something else to survive? @Tinytuttle @cannabissequoia

4 Likes

Now I see what your doing… a little daft at times lol Great work!

1 Like

Yeah, my dog tore up that big patch, so I’ve basically turned it into a giant compost pile. Adding some worms this week. Hoping to grow veggies there in the spring. All the other flower beds that line my huge yard I’ve been digging out and amending for flowers. I am a flower freak. The black fenced in spot is a flower cutting garden. So far I’ve planted around 400 bulbs in it and will be planting more.

5 Likes

Hey @mesh what I’d do with red wigglers since their composting worms is make piles or better yet windrows so they can have some bedding to seek refuge in and mate, there not burrowing worms like your typical night crawlers or earth worms they don’t go that deep however those types of worms will also come into the area and set up habitat as well working deeper layers of the soil profile when there’s plenty or organic material to mow down on!

2 Likes

they’ll probably rehome themselves…they move to where they are comfortable in terms of temps/moisture/light. a quick & easy way (i’ve used as bait also) is cornmeal and soggy cardboard. :thinking: they loooove it.

leave cardboard under a tree when the rains start and you can capture more

3 Likes

I bought some of those Halloween bales of straw today, 1/2 off. The worms come on Tuesday or Wednesday. Figured since the straw was on sale I would buy them a few beds.

Cover crop grows fast. I have some giant seedlings going on in there already. Also bought some pansy and viola seeds today. Tender perennials are cool to start here in fall so I’m gonna start them in pots tomorrow. Usually I just throw them out in the flower bed to germ, but that particular flower bed isn’t quite ready yet. Regardless, I love watching plants grow from seed and I can get more plants without the crows picking at them. At a bit of a standstill back there right now. I need about 9 cu ft of rocks, a few bags of manure, a couple bags of organic topsoil, and like 20 bags of mulch, but my vacation is closing in and I’m running out of money. Working on refilling the coffers. lol

5 Likes

Anybody use landscape rocks as mulch in flower beds? Does it work?

2 Likes

YES. I really like stone mulching. it’s easy to hit with the hose, they hold heat for the plants in spring & shield the soil in summer(a bit). and spiders like it too. :spider: :thumbsup: :gem:

Rubble works too… Lava is expensive in some places & the homedepot stuff is garbage recycled brick.

munchies ending this session

:pizza:

4 Likes

Not sure what nutrients you have added but if you want bang for buck:
Get some chicken manure pellets or horse crap or kelp meal on there for Nitrogen.
Some “fish, blood and bone” on there for Phosphorous and Potassium
Leave over winter to break down. (it needs to have time)
this will give all the micro nutrients you need too.

Come spring your soil will be so healthy, not that it doesnt look good already.
I wish you success in your garden and healthy harvests

watch out for pigeons on your sprouts…

3 Likes

I have added lots and lots of composted manure. Now the cover crop as well. The p&k were good when I tested the soil. I think between the compost, manure and the cover crop it should be nice and fertile come spring for veggies!

4 Likes

My worms showed on Wednesday. My boyfriend assures me that they are out there in the veggie patch, somewhere under the straw I laid out for them. Since they delivered them as I was walking out the door to a client’s office, he came and put them out for me. I’ll take his word for it, I’m sure they will pop up eventually when I least expect it to completely freak me out.

Kicked ass out there today. Put down about 150 lbs of rocks in one flower bed I dug out and filled in and raked the other like 50 feet of flower beds with some fresh organic soil and manure. I have finally got confirmation that all my lilies and other fancy plants have shipped and the beds are perfect now and ready for them. The progress back there has been huge! Although, to the layman it all just looks like dirt. To me it looks like beautiful healthy soil with no dog holes and grass ridden planters. I see the light and I’m now certain that it isn’t a train. lol In all seriousness, I’m super proud of myself, the backyard is huge and I’ve really worked my ass off out there! Of course there is much more to do before everything is exactly the way I want it, but still…

8 Likes

Just a word of the wise on the wormies-- if you have skunks roaming in your yard, they will smell them & eat them like candy, digging little holes & f’ing up your garden. my local skunk has been attacking my compost pretty regularly. :unamused:

4 Likes