Backyard soil rejuvenation project

Wow, I’ve never seen pink lilies! Those are great! dang…

2 Likes

So, I haven’t been updating as much over here! What’s going on in my backyard right now? Let’s see… A lot of my annuals are finished or are finishing because of our early growing season. The nasturtiums finished and got pulled. My Italian white sunflowers got pm from the 2 months of gloom. I’m waiting until the trash comes again to pull them out as my green waste can is full. Tomatoes are in full yield mode, very little leaf, lots of tomatoes. Artichokes are finishing up. Got quite a lot of them. The bell peppers are starting to take off now and my cantaloupes. The birdhouse gourds are huge! That vine just stays there until it dies off and goes completely dead. The gourds have to stay outside until they basically die and you can hear the seeds shaking around inside. The new batches of annual flowers starting are the Gomphrena, Crasapedia (both globe flowers) and now Asters are starting to bloom. I finally got my lemon basil to take this year and it immediately started to flower so I’ve been cutting that off. All of my Dahlias are still in full bloom. I just got a new orange one that started blooming. The shasta daisy I put in the ground disappeared. I knew it was a possibility since I planted it very small. I do have a bigger back up in a starter that I’m gonna try. I started about 8 coleus again this week. The one from spring is just too small, so I’m trying again. Gonna plant some directly in the shade and some in containers. My lobelia I started from seed is flowering, it was mixed with snapdragons. Not sure if some seeds were just stuck in my seed planter or if they were mixed in the packet. In the next day or two, I’m gonna hit everything again with an aspirin foliar. My veggies seemed to respond well to it and the cannabis is healthy as a horse. No idea if the aspirin is part of that, but it sure hasn’t hurt. Oh yeah and a flock of wild parrots got all the seeds from my mammoth sunflowers. So no roasting seeds for me.

6 Likes

Just wrong to give the update without a picture or five…

2 Likes

I know, there just isn’t really much that’s new out there that I haven’t already posted. The Asters and Crasapedia are almost flowered. I’ll post those as soon as they open. All of my prettiest flowers are done for the season and it looks like just a whole lot of cannabis in my yard right now and all those pics are in my cannabis thread. Maybe I’ll shoot a video

4 Likes

What? I thought we talked about this ? Compost compost compost! Throw it in a corner not seen throw some comfrey and sprinkle it with soil and love! Save yourself some money :moneybag: by not having to pay to have it carted off! You will be rewarded with stuff called black gold!

2 Likes

Solution? BBgun and maybe get your self some diner at the same time? Grilled basted and BBQ’d it taste like chicken :chicken:!

3 Likes

The compost tumblers are full and I was worried about composting the stuff with pm. I’ve composted all the healthy plant matter though…

Hahaha! My Dad asked if I threw something at them. I’m too much of an animal lover and a big softie. If I had to kill anything, I would never eat it.

4 Likes

Cantaloupe

Let one of the artichokes flower

Trellis

A couple tomatoes

12 Likes

The garden is winding down quite a bit. I deadheaded all the zinnias today. Hoping for another bloom. Gourd vines mostly dying off, but it stays for months until the gourds dry out and you can hear the seeds when you shake them. I tore out all the sunflowers except the mammoths today. I’ll let the wild parrots finish off the seeds. Artichokes are winding down. A lot of my annual container plants are dying off. Asters are starting and getting ready to bloom and all my globe flowers are going for it. Lots of room and light for the cannabis to start bud though. I may leave the mammoths up until October. They kind of camouflage them from the helicopters and planes. At least that’s my theory.

5 Likes

It was a treat to watch your yard develop through a growing season… some pretty amazing and beautiful flowers… you should be pretty proud…

Shows how latitude plays a big part in growing seasons… as yours is winding down, mine is just getting revved up, and hitting a stride, but about 2 weeks behind last year… Damn peas are already about 7 feet tall, which makes my little dude “Buddy” happy as he loves them as a treat…

Peace
DaFozz

6 Likes

OMG! I had just wrote out this long response, laying out my future garden plans and the damn computer glitched and erased everything! I give up until tomorrow! Thanks for following my journey!

5 Likes

It was enjoyable to say the least, @Meesh, and my pleasure to be able to watch it unfold… You have certainly earned my respect in a number of ways… and have taught me a few things along the way…

Still looking forward to seeing the “Pink Lady” Flying-V Rock Star going in the back yard… It must smell “heavenly” back there…:mask::+1:

Peace
DaFozz

3 Likes

Yes, fun show! I gardened vicariously through you and your thread this year.

lmao! a couple?? I love cherry tomato plants. Look how many are totally ripe, too. I would take that harvest, go inside and make a huge bowl of salsa.

I always planned on canning some but me and my neighbors would finish a large bowl at each sitting. There was never any left. heh… it was still the best salsa I ever made and maybe my favorite of all. The tomatoes were super sweet and I grew some nice peppers that went with it just right. It was so perfect. You almost couldn’t stop eating eat.

Oh well, maybe next year. I actually still have tomato plants in small pots… I never put them in the ground because of the weather. I may put them in big pots and try and manage them like that. I don’t see us getting hot again like we have been. It started raining the last two evenings, and I mean a lot. It’s normal. They call it our monsoon season, and it comes every year that I’ve been here so far. So, maybe I’l still grow something. My out of town work has made it almost impossible to garden this year. I’m leaving again in the morning and maybe once this is over I’ll be here more.

Man, I’m jealous of your garden!! Aren’t they so much fun to go out into and have coffee in the morning? At least I have a lot of native stuff that grows here, like flowers mostly, but this year I’ll actually have fruit from my trees. I have to start reading up on that. I have two really large apricot trees, around 6 or so small plum trees, 2 apples, and one peach tree. I also have thornless blackberries. They’re huge but have lots of seeds. So, I’ll have some stuff to do! peace

3 Likes

I’ve never seen an artichoke flower, that thing is pretty damn cool!

4 Likes

Thank you so much for your kind words @anon95954822! Means a lot to me! I am enjoying playing with my cannabis plants now! Can’t wait to see the flying V in action too! It’s gonna look so cool back there! Also, excited to get back to all the flower planters. Get them all in tip top shape, plant a few more perennials, fill in a few holes, get the damn mulch filled in so I have less grass to dig out. It’s gotten a bit out of hand since May. The shade planters have me really thrilled and am going to go to town on it in the fall. I have at least 100 bucks in credit from the plants that didn’t take and pretty soon I can spend hours deciding what to buy. It’s gonna be very cool watching all of the slow growing perennials grow in and finally bloom next year. Eventually, it will be where I want it. Now that your garden is starting, be sure to post some pics for my viewing pleasure! I love your yard and am very inspired by all your rock art and cool leaf castings and stuff you’ve done. Just wish I had a forest near by to pilfer all my rocks from!

@GMan I’m gonna harvest a whole bunch of those tomatoes and oven dry them and pack them in olive oil very soon. I also really enjoy giving a lot away and am due for another round to all my neighbors playing tomato santa. At one point, my Gramps had a huge boysenberry bush out back. Man, I loved those things! I would eat them until I made myself sick. Eventually the thing got too out of control and he pulled it out. I miss it and am really jealous of your blackberries! Also your apricots! Gramps had a tree at one point out back as well. I have yet to buy one at the store that was half as delicious as the home-grown. Enjoy!

@ChronicMcBudz I know! They are super pretty! I sacrificed harvesting a big one just for that! Glad I did!

5 Likes

Got a butterfly bush… smells like heaven. A new perennial for one of the beds

My prized lilac bush… still alive and growing

Swapped out some annuals cuz they make me happy
Angelonia

Celosia

Dianthus

Summer snapdragons

6 Likes

Did some digging around in the planters today. Planted 3 delphiniums I started from seed, also direct sowed some hollyhocks. More perennials to grow in by next year. Dug up one of my papavers that was way too close to my Lilac bush and was dying off for the season anyway. Hope I got most of it. The tuberous roots were massive. It was a slug and black widow den underneath, threw down some sevin and sluggo. I know gnarly pesticides, but these are nowhere near the veggie plot or cannabis plants. Also weeded that same flower bed. The easiest one as I had mulched this one when I planted the carnations in it a few months back. This planter looks the most empty, but it’s gonna kick ass once it’s all grown in. I also started 2 container plants. 1 nasturtium (my other ones finished) and more lemon basil. I have some lemon basil in the veggie bed, but wanted more. I’ve been considering mixing up all of my pansy and viola seeds and throwing them in my front planter. It has rose bushes in it and bulbs so when the bulbs aren’t flowering it would have some random bedding flowers in it. Thinking it might look pretty good.

6 Likes

8 Likes

Well, I’ve got coleus sprouts and lemon basil sprouts! I even saw some of the hollyhock seeds that I direct sowed have popped. So far the recent transplant of delphiniums in to the flower bed are doing well also. It will be fun to watch all the perennials grow in. I still have 2 shasta daisies in starters, gonna try and plant one in the flower bed once again. This is at least the 5th time I have tried to get these to take. Damn it! I am determined! Tomorrow is a liquid fish drench per my soil test should get things really going.

One of my new colored tuberose has started a flower. The old pearl tuberose that I divided has leaves in one of 2 spots I planted in the cutting garden, I don’t think the other spot made it and I have some in a big pot by my backdoor that have leaves as well. Some years I have had as many as 13 flowers in the pot. We’ll see what happens. They divide really quickly. Nothing smells more divine than the tuberose in the evenings. By the back door is the perfect spot for them!

Trying to catch up on some work, but once I have some time I really want to get back to that shade garden and weed it as well as mulch. Need to decide on some more plants for back there. I’ve lost quite a few plants back there. Shade is tricky. For the most part I think it’s gonna be bigger perennials like my beloved bleeding hearts, probably get a few more, ferns and hostas. I’m having a hard time getting other flowers going in there. Alas, I am going to build a fairy garden in there slowly but surely and will be the biggest attraction anyway. I saw someone make daisy flowers out of stones as decor recently. So damn cute! I want to do something like it under my giant Avocado tree in that shade corner as well. The wheels are turning!

4 Likes

Coleus… tore the flower off though

Asters starting to bloom

Crasapedia

Echinacea I started from seed. Was supposed to take a year to flower! So excited

Dahlias are still blooming like crazy despite the leaves infested with leaf miners

My first stargazer

8 Likes