Baltimore bridge collapse

Theirs already conspiracy theories going out on it.

Quite odd this is the ninth major food hub now blocked by a disaster or what not.

1 Like

Yea, sounds like they lost power and issued a mayday/distress call. Whatā€™s crazy to me is the idiots online saying to just turn the boat, and being completely seriousā€¦

3 Likes

Yeah its as if people dont realize these kind of boats are like astronomically heavy, and it takes ALOT to stop that kind of mass ā€¦

3 Likes

I read somewhere that every single person that has ever survived the jump while attempting to commit suicide had immediate regret for taking that leap. Each and everyone said they wished in that moment they hadnā€™t taken that last step off.

-Something to consider, especially since most folks donā€™t get a 2nd chance.

3 Likes

Yep read this too. I Think its the golden gate, but A bridge got netting installed either 15 or 30 ft below the drop so itll catch people. ( maybe even less Feetā€¦ 30 kinda sounds high XD ) Yeah theyā€™ll be banged up by the net some but theyā€™ll be alive. and most likely wont make that second jump off the net.

2 Likes

what an insane tragedy to happen.

Been there, headed to New Orleans for a Floyd concert at the Superdome from Biloxi.

Driving over/under the Chesapeake bay is interesting.

2 Likes

I close my eyes every time I have to go over. The one time I went over the Big Mac, my daughter steered. :expressionless:

:green_heart: :seedling:

1 Like

The ship lost power. They had stopped anymore traffic going on the bridge but not all. The ship radioed a power lost.

3 Likes

Just read there was a bunch of road crew workers fixing potholes on the bridge when it went down. I think only 2 of 8 survived. Really puts shit into perspective. You really do have no idea when its your time!!! I can hardly watch the videoā€¦ this exact incident is one of my worst fears of all time.

1 Like

Iā€™m aware.
And I donā€™t wanna be Negative Nelly, but weā€™ll see after the NTSB completes the investigation.
All Iā€™m saying is, people are lazy. You can check the statistics on bridge maintenance in the United States. Its pathetic. Whoā€™s to say that proper documented preventative maintenance was not preformed on this vessel regularly?

Iā€™m also very familiar with DOT regulations(unrelated, I know). But sadly, nine times out of ten when a dump truck or tractor trailer is involved in an accidentā€¦the DOT finds faults in the truck. :confused:

This has some good information to consider.

The Skyway Bridge collapse happened in 1980. I remember the storm that morning and wondering about some folks who had to cross the Skyway to get to work. My grandparents drove us across the Skyway a few years after it was opened. I remember looking out the car window. It seemed incredibly high.

1 Like

https://x.com/ywnreporter/status/1772546230310056446?s=46&t=Cz0SrAilAZdiEhTalJFG-g

This vid shows the ship blacking out a couple of times prior to impact. It also shows some lucky folks that crossed that bridge only seconds prior.

3 Likes

@GrowingInThePines -Thatā€™s a great video. -Captures the whole thing and illustrates where and when the ship lost power.

Iā€™d been wondering about the hard-right swing the ship made and someone in the comments posted this:

The ship appears to turn into the bridge at the end, but it really doesnā€™t. The thick smoke is gunning the engines in full reverse, trying to slow down. When a large ship puts engine in reverse you end up with ā€œprop walkā€, if the starboard and port engines arenā€™t making exactly the same thrust the stern of the ship will swing to one side or the other. This isnā€™t a problem when engines are in forward because the rudder can keep the ship straight, which it canā€™t do when engines are in reverse but ship is still moving forward.

2 Likes

They also dropped the port side anchor.

3 Likes

The starboard anchor may not have been released or it hung up. Dropping only one anchor could have caused it to swing toward the bridge. It will take a while to determine.

1 Like

that has a lot more to do with insurance companies and lawyers than the condition of the trucks. think about how many times a truck has to get inspected vs. that old rust bucket joe shmoe puts on the road. hell, i drove an old pinto using a milk crate for a driverā€™s seat once. as far as the actual incident, when you get something over 200k tons (no idea what a ship weighs but itā€™s massive from what i hear) that slams into a center pillar of a bridge, the bridge loses every time.

1 Like

It seems that ship DAHLI had wrecked, from loss of power in Belgium a while back.