Barefoot And Blazed's Benevolent Buds

Thanks for stopping by. I never noticed a distinct water line on the Octos. The visual down low is more about the roots air pruning themselves as they exit the fabric pot. When I emptied the two planters at harvest earlier this week, the top third was pretty dry, middle third was a little damp, and the bottom third definitely held a bit of moisture.
You can lift the fabric column of dirt out of the reservoir. You can spin it around too which is handy for pruning but I try to not move the roots around too much. If you lift it, the dangling roots will drip but the sides of the pot don’t feel wet. Maybe a little damp towards the bottom…

3 Likes

5 Likes

I noticed with my Octopot about 2 inches up from the lid the fabric is wet mind you I jut refilled it last week might of put a bit too much in it didn’t notice the fabric being wet the first fill .

3 Likes

A few updates:

The flower tent with mites had another peppermint soap scrub. I pulled a leaf the following day and don’t see any signs of nefarious activity under the microscope. I set up a SCROG net for the first time, and the plants (all Joe Fixits of varying age and in a variety of pots) are starting to bud. I like the dark pistils and early frost.

While I had the microscope out I took a closer look at the Trainwreck and found a bunch of amber trichomes. I hadn’t seen them in the pics I snapped with my phone, even with zooming in. Glad I checked more closely! I cut it down and it’s hanging whole with the two I harvested last week. Those need a few more days before going into jars…
Speaking of which, I finally acquired some jars! Mason jars are in short supply near me and I’m hesitant to have them shipped, but I found glass jars for kitchen storage. They’re sitting on the shelf above the hanging plants…

I also topped the two Mephisto autos. I’ve never messed with an auto in that way so it will be interesting to see what happens.

17 Likes

Looking good @BarefootAndBlazed were most of those strains from Demonic genetics then? … I’m about to order up some strainly seeds here shortly

2 Likes

Yes. The six autos all came from Demonic Genetics. Come to think of it, the Joe Fixits were freebies (regulars) from him too.

I have been trimming this past week and discovered the Bruce Banner hermed. At first I only found a few seeds but all told I bet there were 60 or so. I also found a half dozen seeds on the Trainwreck, and it’s looking like the Blueberry x NL has some too, presumably all caused by the Bruce Banner. The plant yielded 5 ounces and grew like a champ with great structure, but I’d caution anyone from that particular strain unless you’re OK with the seeds. I had given a Bruce Banner auto seed to a buddy who reported it also hermed in his garden and gave him around 40 seeds.

The Blueberry x NL is developing huge baseball bat branches full of buds and has a nice fruity smell. It’s so heavy I had a branch flop and snap off, so I’ve got some supports in place now.

The Afghani and NL are slowly coming along but look like they could use another month. They were planted May 1st (~90 days ago), so much slower than I’d expect.

17 Likes

I need to start thinking about what I’m going to plant next. I’m craving a couchlock indica to help me sleep (my MMJ prescription is to treat insomnia). Here are some from my stash I am considering - all regular seeds:

AK Bean Brains Black Domina x StarFighter
AKBB GG4 x Black Domina
AKBB Romulan Bx4
AKBB Romulan x Grape Pie
AKBB TK x G13 F3
Baked Beanz Black River OG (Sugar Black Rose x Salmon River OG)
Baked Beanz Port Wine Cheese (Super Cheese x GDP)
Bodhi Cobra Lips (Chemdawg x Appalachia)
Greenpoint Seeds Copper Chem [(Chemdawg x Chem D) x Chemdawg]
Greenpoint Seeds Cake N Chem (Wedding Cake x Stardawg)
JOTI Blackberry Breath (Meat Breath x Blackberry Kush)

Any suggestions?

13 Likes

Damn bro you can’t go wrong with any of them
Black river OG :fire::fire:in for sure

3 Likes

Romulan bx4

5 Likes

Another pic of the Blueberry x NL

I noticed that all the new growth on one of the Joe Fixits looks a bit mutated

It’s just the one plant, and it’s ALL the new growth. Anyone seen that behavior before?

13 Likes

I’ve seen similar when nitrogen is high locking out proper uptake , not sure if that’s your issue but it could be .

5 Likes

I planted two Mephisto auto seeds at the end of June so they are almost 6 weeks old and couldn’t look more different.

The Sour Crack is responding to LST well and stretching into a nice shape to support large buds, while the 3BOGxSN (Three Bears OG x Strawberry Nuggets) has remained bushy and compact. It is so thick it has been difficult to separate the branches and apply a restraint. If you’ll recall, I topped both of these, having never done that to an auto before. I’d say it has been a success with the Sour Crack and should significantly increase yield. The jury is still out for the other…

16 Likes

jacks 321 is the bomb - dont buy it from AMZN - i got a reseller in PA that ships 25lbs A&B bags via fedex for $106 - worth seeing the driver pissed by 50lbs box to lug…
so yea, i’m all in JACKS…

4 Likes

every once in awhile I post this - I use it for spider mites and many other beasties

Green cleaner

Recipe for CB Cleaner-

48 ounces 1420 ml. Soybean Oil
(Vegetable oil is soybean oil, check the label. get the store brand)

48 ounces 1420 ml. Ultra Dish Soap
(brand does not matter, Ultra strength is what we are after)

26 ounces 769 ml. 99% Isopropyl Alcohol
(I get this at Fred Meyer for a dollar per 16 oz bottle)

2.5 ounces 74 ml. Lemon Juice
1.5 ounces 57 grams Salt
2 ounces 60ml. Water

1 oz = 29,5735 ml

1 oz. = 28,3495 grams

Instructions.

Major infestations - 1 to 1.5 ounce per gallon
Maintenance and IPM - .5 ounce per gallon

Cover leaves completely for best results. This is a contact killer with little residual ability against most pests. All soft bodied insects including mites, thrips, aphids, and gnats will be killed on contact. It will keep PM from fruiting for up to two weeks and will block new infestations if used in an IPM rotation. This is also great for cleaning up tents, grow utensils and pots. This is my most used product in my IPM. It is very effective in keeping plants clean when used correctly. Overuse and or spraying at high concentrations too often can cause leaf dryness and burn.

this recipe makes alot of cleaner - I would suggest halving it

15 Likes

Thanks, Sam. Sorry to hear about your hail storm damage. Hopefully no plants or animals were seriously hurt.

I like the looks of this recipe, and will definitely give it a try in the future. I haven’t treated in about a week. I keep pulling leaves and putting them under the microscope, but they have all been bug free the past few times - and before that I only found a single critter. I’m probably 4 weeks from harvest and don’t want to do anything that could impact the taste or potency of the final product. I’m crossing my fingers the issue has been sufficiently mitigated…

I had posted in the Ready To Harvest thread, asking about these autos that are now 100 days old but still have plenty of white pistils and no amber trichomes. I didn’t receive many direct replies, but I decided to only give them pH’ed water going forward to hasten the end. The sooner they are gone, the sooner I can start the next crop…

19 Likes

The carebears never really went past mostly cloudy …I’ve also had photos never stop throwing new pistils

3 Likes

A couple updates…

Below is the 5x5 flowering tent currently filled with six Joe Fixit plants of varying age. The largest/oldest are the one along the left side and the one that stretches all the way across the back of the tent (a full 5 feet now!). There’s a third old one in the front right that suffered some damage both before it came to me, as well as after. It’s not looking great but will produce something. The remaining three are clones I took from the first three. Center front had some topping and training and has spread out quite a bit. The last two (middle, and center right) were put into flower when they were just 3 weeks old. They have no side branching but are fairly tall. I’m hoping for nice colas from each.

The smells were heavy on the lemon at first, which I loved, but are now leaning towards the Bruce Banner. A couple bud shots:

About those 100+ day old autos. One day they all looked fine, but a few hours later I was shocked to find that three of the branches on the Afghani had developed some webs around the top. I hadn’t seen ANY sign of mites in that tent (only in the 5x5) so it was quite a surprise. Within 5 minutes of discovering them that plant was chopped and removed. I gave it a wash in a 5 gallon bucket with H2O2 solution (the plant measured 28" tall from the soil, and fit entirely in the bucket for easy dunking), then a delicate shower from the hose outside. I then spent a few hours giving it a rough trim so it could dry without mold/mildew/rot. She cleans up nicely!

I don’t have updated pics of the two Mephisto autos since I’m away from home for the weekend. The Sour Crack is well into flower (it is one of the fastest auto flowers around with only 55-60 days from sprout to harvest!). It STINKS and is incredibly STICKY to the touch. 3BOGxSN remains compact despite my LST attempts. It’s still growing, albeit slowly, but is showing the first signs of flower.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend, OG!

13 Likes

Spring cleaning time during the dog days of August

3BOG x SN got a bath

Top view

Sour Crack got a shower too. This one and the one above are autos planted 62 days ago

Back in the tent.

There are a couple Joe Fixits kicking around under the T5 - they got baths too! - but I’m super excited for my next crop: GG4 x Black Domina from AK Bean Brains. They got a shot glass soak overnight Tuesday, then went into Solo cups Wednesday on a heat mat. 5 of the 6 were up today (Friday).

I hacked down the last two autos that were well north of 100 days old and didn’t want to finish. The “NL” doesn’t look like any NL I’ve seen before, but who knows? It might smoke great. The Blueberry x NL yielded huge, sticky, flowers with a fruity aroma which are currently in paper grocery bags. I’ll be in trim jail next week.

19 Likes

I chopped two Joe Fixits this week, and will take down the Sour Crack in a couple of days.

Since only 5 of 6 GG4 x Black Domina sprouted I dropped an auto seed. I selected a Northern Cheese Haze from Mephisto and it too has sprouted. Today I mixed a new batch of soil and filled six Octopots in preparation for transplant. I’ve been using a mix of Coco and ProMix. Two of the Octos will have that and the other four will not have any Coco. We’ll see what’s different.

The Mephisto 3BOG x SN is starting to develop some frost

20 Likes

Are you just going to run pro-mix in the other 4? I love seeing side by side comparisons.

1 Like