Bat houses yea or Nay?

Anybody have one? Pro’s and Con’s?

5 Likes

Hmmm. That’s not a bad idea maybe not close to your windows if you don’t want to hear them screech all night lol. but I bet they would do a number on the bugs.
P.s I want to try it now :joy:

2 Likes

A single little brown bat (myotis) can eat up to 1000 mosquitoes in a single hour, and is one of the world’s longest-lived mammals for its size, with life spans of almost 40 years. Bats are more closely related to humans and other primates than they are to rodents.

7 Likes

Bats are cool and a good indicator of a healthy ecosystem.
Some bats are even pollinators.

5 Likes

Con: histoplasmosis is possible

7 Likes

The bat house is awesome! It’s got alfred, the bat cave and Batman suit in it! Hahaha I’m stoned

9 Likes

Almost all the bats in my area (central Ontario) have disappeared due to White Nose Syndrome. 5 years ago I would see hundreds on a good night. Now I’m lucky to see one.

5 Likes

They are great, but collecting batshit, is done with protective gear if your looking for fertilizer.
Only con I can see.

know several who have bat houses hung around their property.

4 Likes

You need a cave to collect enough guano, but bats are great little creatures. Give em a home.

4 Likes

I have a small one mounted out in our field. No residents in it so far. We have a lot of bats in the area and some in my belfry.

4 Likes

You beat me to it…! :wink:

I found some old marbles in my back yard and discovered bats in my mom’s attic.

Diagnosis: Dad lost his marbles 60 years ago, Mom’s got bats in the belfry.

Of course I enjoyed every bit of informing them. :joy:

:evergreen_tree:

4 Likes

we have couple out at the cabin hung up in surrounding trees, all of them get used and are worth it.

As @Scissor-Hanz mentioned there is that devastating white nose fungus killing off millions, hasn’t reached out here yet, hopefully it doesn’t.

3 Likes

Same here. Hoping the few remaining little critters can survive here too.

2 Likes

If your looking find harvest your own guano, the thing I did is, I went to a cave. Lol The bats are very smart little creatures, they will Shit in one big pile usually close to the entrance to the cave. Its your best bet. I’ve had mine for ten years and still have the coffee can 25% filled up.

1 Like