Harvesting Bat Guano

Hey everybody, iv got a cple ??s
Does anybody have Bat houses they use to collect guano?
I’m going to build a cple, plenty bats here, and was wondering what would be the best design to house bats and collect their guano and harvest it, with least amount of effort and contamination and disturbing the little angels,
All ideas welcomed!

5 Likes

Bat guano can be very dangerous for humans so proceeded with caution. If dry the particles get in your lungs and cause major respiratory problems.

I actually know someone who got very very sick trying to clean some up in an old barn.

7 Likes

Excellent idea. Thankful dank mentioned about safety.

Keep in mind if you do build a bat house oh, it’s going to be a year or two at least to get them established

5 Likes

Buy it , safer for you (already collected and dried
But still build the bat houses for insect control outdoors at night.

5 Likes

hi @TheBubbleKing, i think it’s very dangerous the risk is really high.

The respiratory disease that @anon81143130 said is something very serious and has no cure I think.
Bats transmit rabies and some research has linked covid 19 to a species of bat.

The risk is very high for something that pays $ 50 in a good amount.

stay safe … :raising_hand_man:t4:

4 Likes

While waiting for replies from members who can provide bat house construction advice, if you haven’t already, you definitely need to Google it. Try YouTube, too.

One thing I can tell you is that it’s best to collect fresh guano, which is not only better to use for fertilizer, but it eliminates the major concern of inhaling particulates.

2 Likes

Just buy fertilizer bro. It’s so much cheaper, more effective, and easier. If it were 200 years ago and fertilizer wasn’t available, sure, but it’s 2020 and you can buy it for pennies everywhere. It’s like calculators being on your phone but you insist on using an abacus.

I love bats, but they carry diseases, bedbugs, parasites, pests, rabies, etc.

Don’t mess with them.

3 Likes

Daaaamn!
He ok now? Any lasting effects still causing illness?

@Potsy

Last week I hung a bedsheet on my clothes line to dry and when I went to fetch it a bat flew outta the fold😲, Scared the sheet outta me😅!!!

@STIGGY , @Shanti-ri , @vernal ,
Not trying to be sarcastic, or a smartass, but guano is guano, rite? Store bought guano should have same health risk, dried guano is dried guano,. I’ve seen the shows where they’re in the caves with mask walking in knee deep guano. I’m talking a 2’ × 2’ tray in open air. As @Purple-N-Hairy says fresh wouldn’t be as bad. Is that rite or wrong? Idk , why I’m asking. But no matter what I do, harvest or purchase I will be aware of the health risk.
And yes,guano is readily available to Purchase, but doing this K.N.F. , and being that bats are like flies here, and I’ve got the time, and it can’t be that hard to scrape shit off a tray and put Inna compost pile or a bucket of Willow water, being careful not to breath the dust, it’s like the pot at the end of the rainbow. I’m already only spending maybe ¢0.10 on the dollar I used to spend on my grows. Not trying to argue, I just want to get all the info I can outta you guys. Thank you for your thoughts and I would like to hear more.
:v:

4 Likes

He ok now? Any lasting effects still causing illness?

It was over 10yrs ago so he is ok now, I’m not sure about lasting effects

1 Like

wear goggles and a respirator fucking with bat dens… just something I read long ago and i believe it…

3 Likes

I mean, there’s no absolutes, some brands might not fit my understanding, but the guano you buy from the store been outside the animal for long enough that there’s no microbial life left. They call it fossilized bat guano.

3 Likes

Covid 19!

Better off buying the guano.

4 Likes

nothing to do with covid, it was just an example to say that the diseases that bats transmit are badass :wink:

@TheBubbleKing don’t know how far it’s just propaganda but to be like the guano kalong or the version that’s rich in P says that only bats in Indonesia have an explanation but I don’t know :grin:

2 Likes

I wondered about the n/p ratings cause I’ve seen both, I used to run a handful thru my controll bucket of Jamaican bag guano every fert. change in my D.W.C. grows back in tha day, " they" say u can’t run organics D.W.C., . I did for about 7 years. And it made a big difference in overall health, power,taste size etc. Etc.:astonished::sunglasses:
. But if guano is 100% pure, how do they get some n rated and some p rated🤔

2 Likes

A local told me he goes under bridges round here somewhere to gather guano. (short of tying him in a barn and well you know) he would not tell me which bridges

1 Like

Depends on the species and their diet. I think the high N guanos are from bats that eat bugs, and high P from birds eating ocean fish.

3 Likes

I’d be getting the bug eaters

1 Like

I don’t use guano for the exact reasons mentioned above with respiratory issues I have built a house back in NE for insect control they are a joy to watch a dusk but I never attracted them … I hear you need guano to attract them in the beginning aside from that I don’t agree with the commercial harvesting of purchased product it’s invasive to the colony to be disturbed and don’t agree with the principle of it.

4 Likes

My attempt of a bat condo. They were flying around my place before I put it up a cple months ago. I don’t even know if it’s being used

But to show you guys I’m not too hardheaded, and I do listen to y’all’s advice-

Nothing like big 'ol brown yard eggs😋

2 Likes