BeagleZ' COPA Cabana

Yea I originally bought seeds and then never did anything with them after I heard how prolific it was and instead bought some root cuttings of the bocking 14 that I planted around the edge of the property, but I have a big section of my property that’s wooded and grows wild ferns and whatnot that I wouldn’t mind a small patch of comfrey taking over in

7 Likes

I’ve been playing with the idea if using yellow and purple dead nettle as a cover/companion crop. I have a ton of it in the backyard. Mabey throw some clover along with it. My only apprehension is if I ever want to get rid of it, then what? I’m stuck tilling 400 gallons… indoor!

Thoughts?

2 Likes

@BeagleZ … wow dude! I thought I knew my shit, I’ve been watching your threads and I am completely rethinking the way I do things now.

Just goes to show, your never too experienced to learn something different.

3 Likes

Shucks, thank you kindly @McShnutz !!
Labor of love over here :slight_smile:

I think it would be a good companion crop, should be easier to control in indoor beds or pots. PITA in the yard for sure but I think it’d be fine as a cover. With as much top dressing and mulching that I do I doubt it would get out of control.

2 Likes

Yeah I was thinking the same. Outside it’s maxing at about 12" in full bloom but also in a partly shaded area. But indoors it could take off, which is a good thing as like you said, mulching with it. I’ve never care for any of it in terms of water or nutrient and it just thrives. Crazy tho, I’ve always considered it to be abstract. Only recently I’ve started using it to make FFJ. After seeing all the uses now, I think it may be the right choice for a living mulch. Plus, zero sting!!

3 Likes

Ok Fam, today will be the first day of 12/12.
Getting ready to go to the beach and I’m afraid if I wait these things will be too unruly by the time I get back.
So, they got a good foliar feeding of unripe blueberry bloom solution for some extra phosphoric acids to kick things off then the lights went out.

That’s all I got for today so far
Y’all be good, good vibes y’all :sunglasses:

13 Likes

Perfect example of how indigenous species work in synchronicity with the IMO’s. They take care of each other, do they need us to give them a bunch of salts/chemicals?

5 Likes

Bring on the stretch, looking great @BeagleZ :v:

5 Likes

Thanks bud! Always appreciate when you drop in brother!!

4 Likes

Pleasure is mine bud, enjoy the beach :parasol_on_ground:

3 Likes

IMO, like in Boiled rice in a container placed outside for collection/colonization? OR, Is there another way you’d suggest to capturing them?

I do compost and alot of it is bio accumulator weeds from the yard, and I’m currently working on some PSB and cyanobacteria recipes I found on overgrow. Involves using stagnant pond water I collected from a park just down the road.

What’s the best way to culture IMO?

3 Likes

I just meant the PDN is living in harmony with the microbes it has in the soil already. Indigenous species being taking care of by the microbes not us.

But yes, that is what I mean by IMO. There are many ways to do it.
The rice collection method when done right is the Cadillac of collections.
Another great but fast/cheap/dirty way is JMS.
Bucket, water, leaf mold, potato and a pinch of sea salt. Let that set till you see a ring of bubbles and presto, IMO, just don’t taste it :wink:

Let me know if you want more details @McShnutz , we can go down the rabbit hole if ya want :wink:

4 Likes

Thanks bud, I appreciate that. I’m going to change up my methods a bit. And I definitely plan to pick your brain for pointers!!

1 Like

I’m usually around, just drop me a line. Happy to help wherever I can

1 Like

you can look it up on line, but you can put a bunch of comfrey leaves in a bucket with a loose lid / cover a bit of water and something [stone/brick] on the leaves to compress them and about 5-6 weeks later you have comfrey plant food. stirring now and then helps it along.

something like this How to Make and Use Comfrey Fertilizer
just look around lots of this info. i have used both the liquid goo from the leaves and also as mulch cover.

6 Likes

Yea, I did it last year actually and let it go in the bucket too long so I ended up tossing it, curious about mulching/top dressing since it doesn’t rely on my ability to remember when I started the ferment :joy::joy:

4 Likes

:joy:

3 Likes

No more wasted comfrey in 2023!!!

4 Likes

No such thing! I’ve got Dandelion in a bucket that’s a year old,and it’s one of my best amendments (after canna JLF). :bear::+1::grin:

5 Likes

Preach that good word with me Beaglez buddy!!!

2 Likes