North's 2022 Outdoor

THIS IS IT!

It’s May and things are heating up around here. Getting excited for another rooftop grow adventure and for like, 8 people to follow my thread! Woo! Last year’s grow was a big learning experience and overall a big success! I won’t be experimenting with Bokashi composting during this season but I am running my two 30 gallon pots as a no till setup this year and I’m pretty excited to see what happens.

My ACMPR license got bumped up so I’m legally allowed to grow 7 plants outside. It was a very hard decision to pick the seeds I wanted to pop. I missed my window to sex plants so I can only put fem seeds out. This is a real kick in the pails because it means I won’t have a chance to grow out the Purple Satellite (Oaxaca79SKULL x Baglung Nepali) x Big Sur Holy Weed seeds that @TopicalWave gifted me. Next year pal!

I’ve narrowed it down and this is what I decided:

Photoperiods

• Sour Diesel x Sweet Skunk - Chimera
  • Snow G F2 (SFV OG x Sour Snow) - Twenty20 Mendocino (should perform well outside!)
  • Japhy (Ceiba (a cross between Harle-Tsu and Gage Green’s Freedom Baby) x Karmatonic Z (a fast flowering Afghan Indica with a squat compact structure)) - Hoku Seed Co.
  • Star Pupil (or whatever people think this is since he allegedly stole it… I’m not sure who to believe. I’ve heard compelling stories from both sides but I just wanna grow it to see if it’s as good as this guy says it is!) - Mass Medial Strains

Round 1 Autos (May - July)

• Mango Smile (Mango Haze (Mr. Nice Seeds) x Toof Decay F5) - Mephisto (pretty excited for this one bc I’ve heard so much about the Mango Haze!!! This one will go long)
  • Zkittlez - Seedsman
  • Wedding Cheesecake - Fastbuds

Round 2 Autos (Jul - Oct)

• Strawberry Cheesecake - Seedsman
  • Sunset Vibes ((Girl Scout Cookies x Pink Panties) x Ruderalis) - G13 Labs (Not too sure about this one, it was a freebie but we’ll see!)

My first step was prepping all my pots and soil and getting them up on the roof! What a task. I binned my soil from last summer but got it out, re-amended it with the Build-A-Soil Craft Blend recipe and set everything up. I binned everything except my two 30 gallon pots. Those were left as is for the winter and will be treated as a no till set up. I planted cover crop into all the pots, brewed a quick worm casting extract and fed all the pots with some other beneficial microbes and EM1. I’ll continue with the weekly inoculation. I also watered in some soil activator with beneficial bacteria. I just want to wake everything up in there!!

New additions this year are two 20 gallon Grassroots Living soil pots. Last year I only did two photos but this year I’ll do 4 with 3 autos in smaller pots. I’ll let the cover crop grow for two weeks, terminate it, re-amend the 30 gals and a week or so later I’ll transplant all the plants outside.

I started my seeds on May 8th and will aim to have them outside in pots on June 1st. I decided to skip the jiffy pellets on this round and I was nervous AF but it worked out and they’ve all come up out of the soil!

I’d like to try and get the autos into a bottomless 1gallon fabric sleeve sitting on a watering mat but I’m not sure if I have the room. Ideally I want to try if I can bottom feed them and train the roots to go down, then when it’s time to go outside I’ll simply place the sleeve on top of my pots! I’ll try to make it happen as I’ve heard this is a game changer method.

Should be a fun summer!

50 Likes

I will be here watching your grow! :slightly_smiling_face: :+1: :v:

4 Likes

I’ll be watching this one; looks like you’re ready to go!

Curious your plan for watering and if you have to water extra due to the roof temp in summer?

3 Likes

Rooftop grow? Now you’re giving me ideas :rofl:
I’ll be following this year!

3 Likes

I’m curious about that Star Pupil too.
Following!

2 Likes

Blumats hooked up to a garden hose, pressure reducer and water filter. Same set up as last year if you want to see in my previous thread. Gets quite hot so I make sure pots are sitting on risers. Also there is partial shade in the afternoon which helps a lot in late summer.

7 Likes

Outa my way everyone… need a sunny spot for my chair in this thread to catch some rays.

5 Likes

I tried growing plants on a roof top about 40 years ago. Total failure. Lol
Ill follow and see how it should have been done.

2 Likes

Roof top grow with Blumats!

That is one I haven’t tried.
I will be checking your grow for sure.
Always up for learning new things! :call_me_hand:

1 Like

I’m ready to see this rooftop grow!
Twenty20 has solid gear. I’ve ran the Trainwreck (Arcata), bad girl, trizzlers and triskuit before. T.w was my favorite.
I heard Jeremy talking about the capillary mats and bottom watering pots the plug and play no till. I have a cpl mom’s I’m 5 gals that I’m considering cutting the bottom off in a month lol. Well see.

I’m not sure where I land with mass medical. I’ve run the PuTang and Pak Man. Extremely unique flavor profile. Great terps. He lost me when he did the C*nts strain. I stopped following then, just not my style. I popped my last MMS Pak Man for outdoor this year.
I think we have similar algorithm @NorthNorthNugs

2 Likes

Where are you? I’m in ontario and my ACMPR outdoor count does not include my 4 recreational.

If this is the same for you; ADD 4 more plants and mark them “Recreational”! :smiley:

I LOVE your set-up @NorthNorthNugs :hugs:

2 Likes

Oh shoot now the pressure is on! Haha

Ya I really wanted to grab a pack of that! It’s on my wanted list.

I wasn’t aware of that one… hmm ya I know what you mean though. Just seems like it went in a direction where I started losing interest. Also what I didn’t like was how hard he pushed his product on social media and stuff. I mean, I respect the hustle but it’s a little intense. THIS IS THE BEST STRAIN IN THE WORLD!!! etc etc. I had to stop following him on IG until I actually grow out a few of his strains and he earns my respect.

Plants don’t lie. People do. We’ll see what’s up.

Uhhhh what?! So technically I can have 11 outdoor plants?! *disappears in cloud of smoke

Thanks for dropping by everyone and for all the interest. I’ll do my best to share my experiences and try to share some knowledge with the community. I’m still learning but I absolutely just love outdoor season! So I’m constantly looking to bring my grow game to the next level.

I made Bokashi Bran a few weeks ago and it was ready today.

I dried in on a tarp in the sun. Worked out beautifully. I’ll use it to sprinkle on the top of my pots to kick up the microbial activity and aid in breaking down the nutrients for bio availability. I made another worm casting extract this morning and added some of my activated EM1.

I’ve just learned about compost extracts vs compost teas from Joshua Steensland in a Growcast interview. He starts talking about it @21:40

I tried it a few times on my indoor plants with incredible results so far! Plants really perk the hell up after.

For the extract, I just add a few cups of worm castings in a mesh bag to a 5 gal bucket of filtered water and bubble it for 5-10 mins instead of overnight. I stir it constantly as well and really whip it! I also add some of my activated EM1 and at the end, some thermX70. I pour it in the pots right away.

Activated EM1 is pretty sweet too and something I’ve just tried for the first time. It’s a great way to make your bottle of EM1 last a little longer as you can literally multiply it by a lot. I’ve been giving this to a few of my indoor plants and they just seem to immediately start praying when I do!

I’ll explain this process and share my recipe in another post.

12 Likes

Hats off!!! Incredibly detailed grow log. This should be awesome to watch. Thank you… :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s what my rep at Lyte Clinic told me! Yes!

Mine is a 25 plant med + 4 x rec. The “calculator” for my area said 6 = outdoor, 19x indoor.

SO i’m doing 6x outdoor med, 4x outdoor REC :smiley:

4 Likes

sounds more than reasonable works where I’m from :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Good luck with your roof top grow, I will be following!

1 Like

The babies are all doing good. Popped a few more for some neighbours down the street so there are a couple extra. We were chatting about growing outdoors this year and I offered to pop them some seeds instead of buying clones from the local grow shop down the street and my buddy goes

“Oh cool! Do you have extra seeds??”

:joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: I almost fell over.

If he only knew… My seed collection is idiotic.

Anyway… just thought was hilarious. I told him not to worry about it lol.

I can’t even believe this but I had 100% germination on all 11 seeds!! I believe I will adopt this germination style for the future. Peace tf out jiffy pellets!!

Below is 7 days after I planted the seeds:

Below is 11 days after plantation:

Below is today (19 days since plantation):

So far the Sour Diesel x Sweet Skunk from Chimera is banging out of the gate. Same with the Zkittlez from Seedsman. Slowest so far is the Star Pupil.

I had planned to use a watering mat with bottomless 1 gal fabric pots for these plants but I was late in ordering the mat. It showed up in the mail last night and I got to work prepping everything. I set everything up and transplanted all the plants onto the mat. This is not an ideal set up for wicking water automatically but it’s fine, I’ll just pour water on the mat manually from now on. I think it’ll work the same way. Ideally it would’ve been beneficial to sow the seeds directly in this set up from the beginning because I’m running out of time and only have a week before I’m transferring everything outside. I’ll note this for next year. Hopefully the roots start moving downwards in the next week and when I transplant these pots outside I will basically just set them on top of my outdoor pots and not have to disturb a single root!

I cut the bottom out of the first pot but it was a gigantic mess! I suppose that once you set all the pots up on the mat the rootmass will eventually grow into it, sort of congealing everything together over time. I just didn’t want to deal with it bc I was beginning to make a real mess so I just left the bottoms on the pots for the rest. They’re fabric and can absorb water so I believe the water will still wick through the bottoms. We’ll see! This is a bit experimental on my part but I’m pretty confident everything will work.

You can see my Goji re-veg plants in the back! I’ve decided I’m going to flower those two phenos outside this summer since @Pigeonman helped me realise I can still have 4 more plants! They are two that I really had my eye on for favourites… N8 and N4.

When I checked everything this morning the water was being wicked up nicely by all the pots! Good times. Hoping they take off in this environment with more light.

My outdoor pots have all been prepped nicely! Weekly inoculations and care. The cover crop grew in nicely and today I terminated it, re-amended the 30 gal pots with 4 cups of my homemade Craft Blend, covered everything with an inch or two of fresh earth worm castings and added my homemade bokashi bran on top with a little bit of rice hulls.

a week later:

Cover crop terminated and top dressed with Craft Blend:

READY TO GROW SOME FKN DANKKKKKK!!

20 Likes

I made my first fermented plant food this week as well and wanted to share the recipe with everyone because I think this shit is baller, easy AF and will make your garden sing. One of the products I’ve had my eye on was the Fermented Insect Frass from Growing Organic.

Click on this to learn all about Insect Frass.

Insect Frass was a huge benefit to me in my garden last summer and I believe it was one of the main reasons why I didn’t have any bug issues. So I thought it would be pretty cool if you could convert that Frass into an immediately plant available nutrient source for my plants. When I saw them talking about it on the Build A Soild Youtube series I just knew I had to figure out how to make it or ask them how because I love DIY stuff and they don’t ship to Canada (I later learned that Growing Organic does actually ship to Canada through Etsy I believe). I reached out to Growing Organic on IG and he responded to me and gave me a recipe! What a cool guy. If you’re not familiar with them please check out their website, it is PACKED full of useful knowledge! They sell some really amazing products. Please support them if you make this recipe for your garden. I will find a different way to support them as they have a ton of great stuff for sale. A real Mom and Pop operation who are sharing mad info and worthy of the communities support.

Here’s how to make your own:

Materials Needed: 5 Gallon bucket with snap tight lid and airlock bubbler, 2-3lbs of Insect Frass, paint strainer mesh bag, 4 Gallons of non chlorinated water, 60-90ml molasses, 60-90ml EM1 or LAB

• Fill a 5 gallon bucket with 4 gallons of non chlorinated water
  • Put 3lbs of insect frass in your mesh bag and place it in the bucket
  • Add 90ml (3 oz) of molasses
  • Add 90ml (3 oz) of EM1 or LAB
  • Seal the bucket with an airlock and let sit for 2-3 weeks
  • Check that the PH has dropped
  • Remove the bag and store the remaining liquid

*Use 1 oz - 4 oz of ferment per gallon of water. It can be used as a drench or foliar application.

Benefits of Insect Frass:

Insect frass offers a wide variety of benefits. When fermented, these benefits are readily available for your garden to enjoy. Some of the benefits include:

• A balanced profile of nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium (3-2-3).
  • One of the only sources of chitin. Chitin acts to strengthen plant cell walls and build their immune systems to protect against various pathogens.
  • Contains the microbes from the guts of the insects.

Here are some pics of the process:

Also, don’t spend a ton on those mesh bags! You can buy them from the dollar store for $1.50!! They are labeled as “Produce bags” but they are super useful for this stuff too!

15 Likes

I LOVE THE BREAD CRATES!!! TOTALLY GONNA YOINK A FEW FOR MY GARDEN!

I use them all the time to make EWC tea, and to go over items I’m collecting for seed so the birds don’t eat em first. Cover the entire head with the bag, close, and clip the head off IN the bag when the seeds are ready for harvest :smiley:

3 Likes

Love the setup @NorthNorthNugs :+1: thats great idea those plants will have planty of sun on the roof tho :sunny: whats the latitude there? Do you have any concerned about mold for particular photos?

1 Like