Before and After

@DesertGrown I am not sure. I remember reading that OT acquired directly from the Haze brothers in Santa Cruz, while still field grown. “Original” Haze is a name designated by Sam S line of Haze, that was given to positronics and later preserved by Tom Hill as THH.

I have not read that OT Haze comes through Sam S stock. Supposedly more Punto rojo leaning, and posited that it has not been bred with Thai/Kerala.

I’ll look on phylos later. Lots of information in this thread, but very looooong… https://www.icmag.com/www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=82182

1 Like

I don’t mind a long read if it has good information in it. I do it quite often.

The Haze Brothers got their original pure sativa landrace seed stock directly from Sam. It took them three consecutive years of breeding to make the very first “haze” cross.

First they crossed a landrace Mexican to a landrace Colombian. They picked the best female offspring from that run and crossed them with a landrace male from Southern India.

Next, they picked the best female offspring from the ((Mexican x Colombian) x India) hybrid and used a male Thai landrace to create the Original Haze as we know it. A pure sativa with a flowering time of 16+ weeks.

Neville recovered some of those original pure Haze seeds and that’s where his Haze A/Haze C males came from, along with his Haze B female… they are Original Haze.

2 Likes

I’m definitely not in any better position to know than anyone else. You are probably more of an expert than me. I just read what I can and try to decipher what is most likely to be accurate information.

But I’ve collected up some nice haze genetics from the main lines, and I’m going to start trying to open it up pretty soon. I think OT haze is a really good one to include in my project, because it seems bifurcated from many of the other haze lines much earlier on. It should have some different expressions.

2 Likes

Sounds like you’ve really go to handle on it. Never tried me a haze.

2 Likes

There are a lot of known strains that have “haze” in their name, that have no haze in them at all.

The word haze has become a main selling point for selling cannabis strains as haze strains have been making a comeback the last few years. Similar to how some hang an OG on a strain that has no OG in it.
Utopia Haze and Bangi Haze are a couple that come to mind as strains that have haze in their name, but it’s not in the strain.

3 Likes

Yes maybe, I don’t know really as I was not there.

The thing with haze is that in some way, it was used so much time as the pure sativa of the cross by the breeders of all kind that many growers/smokers lose in some way the range of the whole spectra of the plant.

I’m not to say that it is a bad strain nor that the male and female selected by the breeders were not exceptional individual breeding tools. But simply put, haze is one excellent pure sativa among other excellent pure sativas with very different high.

By crossing long tropical sativas with charas, as expected by RC Clarke in his book of the 70’s, you obtain sometimes very subtle strains that are manageable indoor.

Of course, they are far away from the commercial market when you consider production or potency.

1 Like

The only way to make a pure sativa landrace manageable for growing indoors is to breed it to an indica. This helps reduces the size of the plant and allows it to finishing flowering sooner by many weeks.

Clarke’s reports are favorites of mine… I believe I have read them all at least once! Not everyone is going to be able to understand what he’s talking about since it’s not totally in layman’s terms, but it’s a good, informative read nonetheless.

2 Likes

I’ve tried both with indica and with short flowering sativa from Himalaya. Both results can be grown indoor.

long flowering tropical sativa x short flowering charas gave the finest high I experienced indoor, even better than the tropical sativa alone. I think it’s just because you’re able to finish them properly and the charas high does not alter so much the tropical high. Production is not much enhanced and they still stretch a lot.

long flowering tropical sativa x short indica gave me the strongest high in the F1 with sometimes nice production but after some generations, it is hard not to get the high mitigated and it often becomes just “another hybrid”. Unless you have the possibility to select over a lot of females and have the time to select the males, test their progeny and so on… which is not my case unfortunately :frowning:

2 Likes

I find this intriguing. Which strain and how long did it take? It must be one of the Nanda Devi or Kashmiri strains.

For my tastes, something in the realm of 75% sativa is what I like. Pure sativas are special, but really more suited for the outdoor grower, and even then, still limited to similar latitudes and climate zones. However, I find a few sativas very intriguing. One that I will be experimenting with soon is Lesotho, on account of the fact that much of the country has the same climate zone and elevation as Colorado, and it is also at a distant latitude from the equator.

1 Like

You made some good points that I didn’t think about at the time of my post. Latitude and localized climate zones are important for outdoor growing.

I live right at 35N… pretty much as far north as you can go to expect a strong sativa to finish on time.

1 Like

I grew several times a cross between Nanda devi and a south indian pure sativa (>16weeks). Harvested mostly between 10 and 12 weeks. It’s still the best high I experienced: pure, clean, strong, creative, never racy, long lasting.

I also enjoyed a special cross given by a great friend which was built upon a special individual of Federation Hawaian which was really sativa and citrus / incense smell with a strong clear high. He backcrossed it two or three times and then crossed the resulting progeny with a Kumaoni male. And then, backcrossed some F1 female with a Kumaoni male again. He called it the Kumawaian lol Very funny happy stuff

I tried also a cross he made between Nanda devi and Santa Maria / Planck cut. Good production and short flowering with goofy high.

He told me some other tries were not as good, like Nanda devi x Hawaian or Nanda devi x Sweet Pink Grapefruit. The terpenes mix was not on par with the parents and the high was blur, he said.

I never tried Kashmiri strains but was curious about the Kashmir Resin Factory sold by Dr Greenthumb long time ago.

I was given fresh indoor seeds of the Nepalese Rolpa, that I plan to experience in a couple of months. Smelled it (but not smoked it :frowning: ) , nice mix of berry , malt and spices, can’t wait to see if I get it in my room !

Here’s a new one: before and after.

@Tappy

Afghan lights standing:

Afghan lights chopped:

She is very aromatic and stinky. I think she’s gonna be a winner.

7 Likes

Just dropped in. Great thread… i’ve been immediately looking through all my old photos :rofl: there are some very nice pics here.

These are some from my last grow: royal critical from royal queen seeds.

Here she was just a lil babe still…

And some young buds

Getting ready to chop

It’s a dirty job, but someone’s gotta do it

And some of the end result

7 Likes