101’s humbling second grow

On October 5th, 2022 NY State legalized home grow for certified “Medical Marijuana” patients like me. So this is my first fully legal grow.

I popped three Jack 47 XL Autos (sweet seeds) for an overnight soak then grabbed a plastic container on hand, and planted the three seeds in the soil from my first run. They grow… slowly.

I then transplanted them each to their own EarthBox and used the black cover it comes with. They don’t seem happy. I take off the covers. I replant then AGAIN into a single EarthBox. I add a the seeds for a cover crop. Cover crop is leftover sprouted amaranth micro green seeds from my 14yo’s old middle school project.

Now I did this re-transplant to free up some EarthBoxes for more grows. I get cocky and try running another batch of autos PLUS some Jack Herer crosses sent to me by the most wonderful @Maddawg.

That is when things go off the rails.

Meanwhile the original three Jack 47s are growing and three completely different personalities emerge. One plant is tall and spindly. One is squat and wide. One is in between.

Here is where these plants are now, day 62.

Plant 1: least mature (tall and spindly)

Plant 2: most mature (single large cola)

Here is a sample of bud under my digital scope:

Finally plant 3 (short and squat):

Here’s the kicker. I need to harvest in nine days. Heading to California with my husband and two teen sons. We rented a little beach condo in San Diego (Mission Beach). I don’t really trust anyone to care for the plants.

I’m thinking about how to prep for harvest, knowing it will be a bit early. Do I fresh freeze the bud and make bubble hash? I’ve done ice water and dry ice — but with much, much more starting material than I will have this round. Do I try to do a proper cure then an alcohol extraction? Should I use those new fangled grove bags? “Set and forget”?

Once I’m back from vacation I plan to dump all the soil into a baby pool I have for mixing, change the filter on my cloudline outflow, and get better at my sprouting phase (@Maddawg is kindly tutoring me) and set up to switch to phenos, working with dialing in a more successful seedling sprout game and veg phase environment. Gotta get much, much better at environment. After my spectacular first grow this one has deeply humbled me. I believe in the soil. I believe in the science behind the magic. I know I can do much better.

I’m so hooked on this hobby.

OH! The medicine I made from my first grow blows anything I’ve had from a dispensary out of the water. I’m flourishing like never before. What I do is I take a scoop of the tar-like decarb hash and make a micro temple ball. Size of a half grain of rice. Then I flatten it and eat it with a big spoonful of organic almond butter. YUM. I’m dancing while I do household chores in an hour, crying and journaling in two hours and medicated for the next 8 hours. One dose a day does me.

Sorry for the long post typos and sneaky cat sitting on laundry photo. :paw_prints::basket::cat2:

20 Likes

Hey hey @LedZeppelin

Nice to hear from you! Yeah good to have dirt under my fingernails again… while this grow is so tiny compared to my first grow, I ate the sample I used to check trichomes under my digital scope. Like eating a piece of grapefruit.

I’m so excited for this harvest!

6 Likes

I like the pearl pheno that plant #1 is showing. Great job all the way around!

1 Like

Thank you!! What’s a pearl pheno?

1 Like

You ask and you shall receive :grin:

3 Likes

My suggestion would be to almost ‘run the clock out’, cut them down strip the buds and freeze them just before you go. Make bubble hash at your leisure when you get back.
Check out JoeCrowe’s threads if you want to kick your hash skills ‘up a notch’. :+1:

You might want to throw some of plant #1 into a Groves Bag… Tejas is right, there has been some ‘localized magic’ associated with those ‘String of Pearls’ phenos, you could have something rather special there.

Cheers
G

4 Likes

yeahthatsign
100% What @Gpaw said!

Check out @JoeCrowe’s Hash Making Revisited

2 Likes

AK47 was my go-to plant for hash making in the past. Your herer47 looks like it could be a good producer from the images supplied.

1 Like

What a wonderful community!

@Tejas wow what a photographic memory! The spindly plant looks super similar. The plant that is one cola no branching has the strongest smell and it is freshly ground coffee + lemon vanilla creamsicle. I ate the tiny pieces of the cola I sampled to look at the trichomes under my digital scope. It tasted like a little slice of pink grapefruit! Very juicy and citrusy and tart and sweet.

@Gpaw and @Maddawg will look at @JoeCrowe‘s instructions. TY!!!

Love, love, love this wonderful community. :seedling::fire::seedling::green_heart::pray:

4 Likes

Some more photos as she grows. Auto 62 or 63 days.

First three are from the post linked to above by @Tejas.

Rest are my Sweet Seeds Jack 47 XL Autos.

7 Likes

Had to chop. 72days. Autos. Jack 47 (Sweet Seeds).

Lessons.

:seedling::green_heart::pray:

6 Likes

Your going to have some energetic smoke, look forward to your report.

1 Like