Best guess if you’ve got one?

Hey all, new here. Been lurking for a while. Don’t want this to turn into a religious thread or a debate on cannabis in the Bible.

But, I was curious what the closest modern day landrace would be to the stuff they had in Jerusalem at around 0 BC. Im assuming that cannabis had reached Israel from east Asia due to the trade routes and the valuable nature of the herb.

I figured that the breeders lab would be the most knowledgeable on history of strains and how they migrated. Feel free to point me in a mew direction if I was wrong.

Any thoughts?

7 Likes

Welcome to OG @Ceilingless
Sorry can’t help.

2 Likes

No worries! I figure someone at least has to have a guess I can do more research into

2 Likes

Hemp was widely used back then in rope making. But as to what Landrace would be closest to what was grown back then is very hard to say. After 2000 years even they oldest of Landrace strains would have changed from the changing climate over that time.

6 Likes

Off the top of my head there’s some Lebanese kicking around somewhere. It’s as close as I can get.

4 Likes

Hey @Ceilingless Welcome to Overgrow!

My SWAG would be something very similar to a Lebanese.
That area was a major north/south corridor going back to the Pleistocene.
So there should be very similar genetics all through that area.

A good book to check out is R. Clarke’s ‘Cannabis Evolution and Ethnobotany’. It is a multidisciplinary analysis, & fascinating read (for me :rofl:)

Cheers
G

10 Likes

Looks like that it was imported … ejem|nullxnull

9 Likes

Awesome information! I’ll give that book a look too. Thank you!

2 Likes

This is a study about the relationship between geography and chemical composition of cannabinoids. So, if the conclusions are right, the closest to whatever landrace strain was there is going to be whatever landrace strain is growing in the same conditions and climate, it’s just going to be a more mature version of it (Assuming it’s been growing there consistently).

4 Likes

8 Likes

Wouldn’t surprise me if Lebanese is the right answer then just due to proximity. Did/do they grow anything notable in Egypt?

1 Like

It’s super illegal in Egypt, trafficking can carry death penalties (holy shit) so finding out stuff about Egypt is gonna be tricky.

3 Likes

Interesting… I think I remember a post somewhere about someone growing in Egypt. I’ll have to see if I can find it and if they’d be willing to talk

1 Like

The earliest stuff in Egypt is pollen at 5000BC and fiber at 1500BC. It was identified in historical documents as being ‘introduced’.

Cheers
G

5 Likes

Welcome to the OG community. As you can see there are some very friendly and knowledgeable folks here.
:green_heart::seedling:

5 Likes

Welcome man, I was curious about this too, if we look at the wheat planted today and wheat planted in Jesus’ time, let’s say that today’s plant is not wheat… Just an analogy to say nothing, crazy thing… But there are people who are rescuing the old wheat…

2 Likes