Best "Pest Resistant" Strains - in YOUR opinion

two votes/tips for insect frass.
that is a good suggestion.

the local hydro shop has all those brown “cereal boxes” of organic nutes. i bet they have the frass. i’ve just never looked or considered it before.

1 Like

I remember folks yearsss ago talkin about adding an aspirin to the feed to trigger amune system but never hear of talk of it nowadays

Was this bro science @shag

2 Likes

that fat bastard name coming up a lot lately for a few different things. i have some seeds. never grown or smoked, but i am intrigued.

yeah, that would make sense. plant locked in a valley for 100s of years generation after generation would develop resistance to local bugs and molds. they would have to adapt or get munched.

local dead bugs = frass for the plants?
would seem to track.

as stated earlier in the convo, humboldt is one of the companies that will note the level of pest and mold resistance. there are many more.
it would seem that breeding those traits (pest/mold resistant) into a new stable strain would be desirable.

1 Like

First year OD here in New England and it’s been a wet one with a ton of bugs and blight, but my Malana Village sativa hashplants from Colorado Sativas haven’t had a single chewed leaf or more than a touch of brown, the big one hasn’t been sprayed once, the one in the alley has gotten a few treatments in the last few weeks with PureCrop1 since it doesn’t get the direct sun like the other one does to dry off fast in the morning. Highly recommended for low maintenance plants:

@ifish yea that’s real science, willow bark works as well if you compost it in but aspirin is very easy:

From the journal Agronomy:

“The plant hormone salicylic acid (SA) has been traditionally associated to plant defense responses against biotic stimuli. In addition, recent works have reported a role for SA in the response to abiotic stresses. The precise mode of SA action is unclear, although it has been shown to interact in a complex manner with the antioxidative metabolism, modulating cellular redox homeostasis and leading to changes at molecular level. The role of SA in stressed plants seems to depend on different factors, including the plant species, how the SA treatment is applied and the used concentration, the physiological state of the plant, as well as the level of and the exposure time to the stress. Moreover, SA also acts as signaling and regulatory molecule modulating diverse biological processes, such as cell growth and development, seed germination, stomatal aperture, and fruit yield, among others.

Despite the important roles of SA in plants, its metabolism has not been fully characterized yet. The proposed SA synthesis originates from chorismate, the end product of the shikimate pathway, by two distinct pathways: the isochorismate (IC) and the phenylalanine (Phe) ammonia-lyase (PAL) pathways, although this information is limited to Arabidopsis and other herbaceous plants.”

6 Likes

hmmm. never heard that one.

however i ~did~ hear old school florists saying to add an aspirin to the vase water for cut flowers. would keep them healthy and vibrant longer.

now most florists add a pack of some powder to keep them fresh. never really looked at the ingredients in those packets. hmmm…

1 Like

salicylic acid , my brain was going nuts trying to think of that snippet : )

Thankyou @Dirt_Wizard would have kept me up all nite haha

1 Like

good stuff. thanks for sharing.
plant looks good. how does it smell?

do you use aspirin in your grows?
is the purecrop organic?

2 Likes

I don’t use aspirin, no, but not for any particular reason other than not trying it yet. PC1 is an OMRI-listed biostimulant/insecticide/fungicide that’s one of the only things allowed as IPM up until harvest day here in Massachusetts, which also has very strict rules on testing results for mold and heavy metals. It has EPA zero hour reentry rating and a zero day harvest rating. It’s made of glycerin, corn and soybean oil, soap, citric acid, vanillin, and maybe one other thing? There’s a good DIY recipe for it on OpenSalts that I haven’t tried yet:

http://opensalts.wikidot.com/pure-crop-1

2 Likes

Yes, it is a form of salicylic acid.

Asprin is not the best choice but it will work.

2 Likes

Thankyou : )

@shag

2 Likes

Just shooting the breeze

Would a cut rooted in willow water be more hardy growing outside ???

I took a look at the recipe up there and I’m a bit confused. I’d like to give it a try, but they list everything by percentages… any idea whether that’s by weight, or by volume?

1 Like

I think it could only be by weight, I don’t think powders are measured by the volume for this kind of recipe

2 Likes

Nothing real clear on the rest of the site as far as general guidelines, unfortunately… they seem to freely switch between weight and volume with no rhyme or reason. I guess it makes sense if they were all written by different people and just compiled there, but I wish it were clearer. Oh well, at least all the ingredients for this are pretty cheap and mostly last forever… worst case we’ll mix some up, it’ll be a disaster and we’ll realize we were interpreting it wrong. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Just circling back on this PureCrop1 DIY recipe, in case anyone was curious… it seems to work! I haven’t actually sprayed any plants yet, so don’t go mixing up a huge batch yet on my account, but I mixed everything together with percentages by weight as @Dirt_Wizard suggested and it seems to have formed a stable emulsion. A little tip - when a recipe like this says “stir” it means throw the whole damn mixture into a blender, apparently. I sat there stirring it for several minutes by hand before realizing it was going nowhere. I made about a cup of concentrate, so that should be enough for a few months of spraying. I’ve got spider mites already, so I’ll start using it tonight and see what happens. If I remember, I’ll check back in another month or so with a half-assed report on how it actually does in the field.

3 Likes

I’ll throw a 3rd in for insect frass, I haven’t used it yet but I’ve been around tons of outdoor grows that rely on it a lot as an amendment in their pots and beds specifically to help plants build up pest resistance

2 Likes