Best Practices Discussion: Improving plants

So who is targeting these fibrous plants? Maybe hemp farmers.

K.
Specifically then, if you were to go about my stated goals on the Haze example, would you do as i did or open pollinate?

avoidance is also a strategy. What one doesnā€™t want to see guides selection.

Agreed. Iā€™m thinking there isnā€™t one guy on here who would go ā€œoh look this plant is hempy and fibrous and non-medicinal and seems like a good breeding candidate.ā€

If I were creating an F1 haze line, I would have a selected father that I had bred with previously, and pollinate a group of mothers.
I would then search through those offspring for the traits Iā€™m seeking, as well as a male representative of the original tested father, if I wanted to bring the line forward toward IBL.
If I did not have a proven male plant, I would do a full open pollination with multiple males and females, and hunt through the offspring as above.
In the event that I would be working with an f2 generation or beyond, I would avoid the OP and move directly to pheno hunting appropriate M/F plants.
If course, if itā€™s difficult to lock in a specific trait, thereā€™s always the option of backcrossing offspring to one or both of the original patterns, and taking the line forward from there.
Constant selection and subsequent breeding of small plant numbers with more and more limited genetic capacity results in inbreeding depression.
Most of this is touched on in the links I posted :bear::+1:

2 Likes

No lines, just individual(s). That is the start for improvement, the identified goal.
Heady, I would not constantly select and breed small plant numbers. Inbreeding depression is real and good practices exist to mitigate it. Finding an individual plant that is an pioneer will improve subsequent lines.

1 Like

So whatā€™s the goal here? You pop 1000 seeds and find a standout? That sounds like the move.

Iā€™m going to go ahead and bow out here.
No hard feelings, just not my kind of vibe.
Happy growing!

2 Likes

No, not a 1000 seeds (yet). First task is to identify what lines to look into-well bred seeds. Successive planting could also be used if plant numbers are a concern.

Its thinking outside the box.
Cannabis boards may not be the best place anymore for real discussion. I usually can Google a question Iā€™m having than to go to a board and find the answer. I would like to change that.
the assertions I stated no one has questioned. They are good starting points. My feeling is that it is better to work with the plant than to impose unnatural conditions on it. Cloning and STS are accepted tools and should be used without losing the sight of Cannabisā€™ inherent nature as an out crosser.

1 Like

This isnā€™t outside the box. Itā€™s accepted common knowledge.

I know I said I was out, but the reason nobody is ā€œquestioningā€ your assertions is that they are extraordinarily basic.
There no new information or discussion in your posts, youā€™re just new here, so you think there is.
Perhaps thereā€™s more value in joining a conversation to learn, instead of starting one to ā€œeducateā€.

2 Likes

I see your point, you are right somewhat. Iā€™m new to this board but have been scanning and lurking for months. Sure they are the basics but you have to also think of the implications of those truths going forward.

1 Like